Playing NE 1st game gives us best shot of beating them

I think playing NE first game is our best scenario.

First it will be Brady's first live game in a year. His conditioning and timing will only improve through the season. Also, it takes a while to get over the psychological impact of being injured. Second, Belicheat won't have 09 season game film (except for what he secretly filmed during training camp) to game plan against our new no huddle.

From the Bills perspective, Jauron seems adequate when he has time to prepare and analyze all the imperical evidence etc. He doesn't do as well making geme time and mid season adjustments when things have heated up and you have to rely on gut feel and intuition. (Fast start --> Slow fade)

I just think facing NE first game presents the best opportunity to beat them. A win would be very significant because it will set the tone for the season, give the team confidence they can compete and win against the best, and break the psychological hold NE has over Buffalo due to dominating us the last 10 years.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First it will be Brady's first live game in a year. His conditioning and timing will only improve through the season. Also, it takes a while to get over the psychological impact of being injured. Second, Belicheat won't have 09 season game film (except for what he secretly filmed during training camp) to game plan against our new no huddle.

From the Bills perspective, Jauron seems adequate when he has time to prepare and analyze all the imperical evidence etc. He doesn't do as well making geme time and mid season adjustments when things have heated up and you have to rely on gut feel and intuition. (Fast start --> Slow fade)

I just think facing NE first game presents the best opportunity to beat them. A win would be very significant because it will set the tone for the season, give the team confidence they can compete and win against the best, and break the psychological hold NE has over Buffalo due to dominating us the last 10 years.

Interesting theory and it may have some validity. I think the last time we beat the Pats* was a Week 1, 31-0 rout during the Donahoe era (it was Lawyer Milloy's first game as a Bill if I remember correctly). Of course, that game was at the Ralph the upcoming one is not.

Interesting theory and it may have some validity. I think the last time we beat the Pats* was a Week 1, 31-0 rout during the Donahoe era (it was Lawyer Milloy's first game as a Bill if I remember correctly). Of course, that game was at the Ralph the upcoming one is not.

Also, to me the next best shot at beating them was Jauron's first game. where we lost by the margin of the safety JP took. Also, lets not forget two questionable blocking in the back calls. So yea, maybe first game is best for us

Also, to me the next best shot at beating them was Jauron's first game. where we lost by the margin of the safety JP took. Also, lets not forget two questionable blocking in the back calls. So yea, maybe first game is best for us

There were a ton of questionable calls in that game, from the no offsides called on the play before JP got sacked in the end zone (when the Pats* defender was two steps into our backfield at the snap--I've got TIVO and watched that one over and over) to the "inadvertent whistle" when Clements was heading to the end zone a pick of Brady. That was one of the "worst" (and I use that pejoratively, because I personally suspect that it may have been more than "poor" officiating) officiated games I've ever seen.....

While I agree that Tom Brady may be rusty due to it being his first game back from injury and Bellicheck not having any film on the Bills new offensive strategy, I believe that you have to handicap the Bills offense for the same reasons.

Is the Bills offense going to be running at full speed with a majority of the team having never run it before? You would have to expect a learning curve on the offensive side of the ball, which could result in some early season hiccups.

There were a ton of questionable calls in that game, from the no offsides called on the play before JP got sacked in the end zone (when the Pats* defender was two steps into our backfield at the snap--I've got TIVO and watched that one over and over) to the "inadvertent whistle" when Clements was heading to the end zone a pick of Brady. That was one of the "worst" (and I use that pejoratively, because I personally suspect that it may have been more than "poor" officiating) officiated games I've ever seen.....

The Zebra Conspiracy against the Bills lives on.

.....and yes.....I am serious. There are way too many mind-numbing calls that have hurt the Bills over the years to call it coincidence.

My feeling is that it could go either way, as an advantage or a disadvantage. Both teams will have time to work up some surprises, but the Pats will have less of an urge to surprise us than we have, as they probably think they can just beat us straight up.

The huge problem, of course, will be our o-line. Every single guy at a new position. A lot of us think that this line has better personnel than our last version, and that may be very true in the middle. But o-lines take time to jell, and our first game will likely be the worst game they play together. I would expect them to be considerably better by the end of the year.

Since I think the o-line situation will be the one single key to our season either way, I think playing them the first week will go down, overall, as a disadvantage.

The BIG Reason we beat them that day, was due to the PASS RUSH. We had Brady on his ass on the RWS turf for 3 hours and that was good enough for us to win.

I also think it was the first game for TKO as a Bills player.

I agree.

I am fully expecting another hard-fought "moral victory."

Well our guys played hard. We were not sure what to expect since this only the first week and we are playing against one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. Its not easy to win at this level. This week we will sit down and look at the game tape and devise a plan for when we get into those types of situations where we need to get a 1st down or a stop on the defense. Hopefully we can come back out next week and put forth a better efforth to come home with a win. I have all the faith in the world of this team the coaching staff and the ownership. <_<:rolleyes:

Offseason ... hope springs forth.

The major question for the Bills will be the essentially entirely new O-Line. If they hope to beat the Patsies* the Bills had better be able to generate some rushing yards.

The BIG Reason we beat them that day, was due to the PASS RUSH. We had Brady on his ass on the RWS turf for 3 hours and that was good enough for us to win.

I also think it was the first game for TKO as a Bills player.

TKO did have a good game that day with a couple of INT's. If our D is bolstered by the addition of Maybin and the return of Schoebel, we can get some pressure on Brady. His timing may be off in his first game back. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have guys hitting him to make him think about his knee injury last year. Blitz, Blitz, Blitz. I say we employ the same style D that we used against the Cowboys and Romo a couple of years ago.

Too bad Zapruder is dead, he could film the sack that ruins Brady & the Pats* season.

B.

PS... Should Brady be listed as Brady* per TSW rules? Or just per good Bills fan rules?

I'm disturbed to say that I'm obsessing on this game. It's not right to wish ones life away, but I'm living for the opening game.

It's all going to come down to the interior of the offensive line for the Bills. And there's no one on this board that has any idea how that will work out. If Wood and Levitre play to the level of their financial compensation, and if Hangarnter plays like Melvin Fowler - but with a pulse - the Bills could seriously pull this one off in a high-scoring squeaker.

Stop vomiting. I'm serious.

The Bills' defense is NOT going to stop Brady** and the Pats*. Ain't going to happen. But our WR corps is easily one of the top 10 in the league, if not one of the top 5. If the interior of the line holds, and the no-huddle clicks, you'll watch the dawn of the latest version of the Buffalo offense.

Move over K-Gun. This will be the start of "The Polar Express". Mark my words.

"No Way" - David Gilmour

I'm disturbed to say that I'm obsessing on this game. It's not right to wish ones life away, but I'm living for the opening game.

It's all going to come down to the interior of the offensive line for the Bills. And there's no one on this board that has any idea how that will work out. If Wood and Levitre play to the level of their financial compensation, and if Hangarnter plays like Melvin Fowler - but with a pulse - the Bills could seriously pull this one off in a high-scoring squeaker.

Stop vomiting. I'm serious.

The Bills' defense is NOT going to stop Brady** and the Pats*. Ain't going to happen. But our WR corps is easily one of the top 10 in the league, if not one of the top 5. If the interior of the line holds, and the no-huddle clicks, you'll watch the dawn of the latest version of the Buffalo offense.

Move over K-Gun. This will be the start of "The Polar Express". Mark my words.

"No Way" - David Gilmour

I can't imagine what this board and/or city will be like if we win that game. TO's new mode of transportation will be one of those chairs people used to carry kings around on, on their shoulders.

Generally speaking, week 1 probably is more random and less predictable than the middle of the season. So since random luck is our best shot at beating the Pats, I'd say yeah, we've got an edge this time that we won't have for the rematch.