You gotta love the flutie magic

Umm, I think that's one of the points in this never-ending thread - the Bills benched Flutie once he got us to the playoffs. We'll never know what might have been, since Wade opted to bench Flutie in favor in RJ. Or do I have that wrong?

It is interesting, NFL Network ran a thing on one hit wonders & RJ was #7. Some interesting things were said. First, Vic Carrucci said as time went on & it was apparent Flutie was the better qb, guys in the lockerroom started resenting Rob Johnson & started siding with Flutie. Wade Phillips comes on & he hesitated at first when asked if they would of won the Tenn game with Flute under center & finally relented & said "yeah we would of won if Flutie played in that game".

Noone is stating that flutie was not a self promoter, did not accept blame & was a divisive force in the lockerroom. What I think people are saying is he was a good qb for the 3 years he was here, had a hand in saving the franchise, & putting aside his personality/disposition/accountability, he did indeed get a raw deal here. No matter what he did in that lockerroom, he did not deserve to get benched in that playoff game. One of the most classless thing I have ever seen a professional organization do & the one true event in the history of the bills that really made me embarrassed to be a bills fan.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You obviously haven't realized that there would have been no QB controversey if RJ was better than Flutie. There would have been no "split locker room".

We say Flutie played well in Buffalo (look at the W-L numbers, for one), and you point to his career elsewhere. Nice analysis.

Anyway....

Flutie was an intense, competitive, intelligent, athletic guy with a very high level of confidence and a big chip on his shoulder. He had a hard time accepting that he was being walked over by the disaster that was RJ.

That's it fellas.

it may behoove you to read my posts, as I did PLENTY of analysis on flutie's years here.

BuffaloPride' date='Jun 19 2009, 06:07 AM' post='1457661']

Yeah, you gotta love the way he magically divided the locker room and got the greatest receiver in Bills history benched because he didn't have the arm strength to hit him on a simple out pattern. His greatest magic trick of all is when he finally disappeared. F^ck him.

BuffaloPride's first post.

BuffaloPride' date='Jun 19 2009, 07:56 AM' post='1457796']

There's hatred among fans because he was a self serving prick. He reaped the accolades when we won and pointed the finger at others when we lost. He was a media whore who pouted like a little baby when he got benched and started a coup in the locker room in an effort to get his job back. Thruout his career Doug Flutie cared about one thing and that is himself. He was a shameless self promoter. F^ck him in his a$$.

BuffaloPride's second post.

PromoTheRobot' date='Jun 19 2009, 08:44 AM' post='1457858']

I think "hatred" is too strong a word. I don't think anyone hates Flutie the man, just the cult of Flutie. He was a good player. Exciting to watch. He won some games. He probably saved the franchise when the Bills needed to sell luxury suites and he got people excited about the team again. (Probably his biggest contribution to Buffalo.)

But those who elevate him to some god-like stauts need to get a grip.

PTR

This is one of the most succinct and intelligent of over 300 posts on the subject. However if you look at those posts, very few people (2-3maybe) are saying he's a great quarterback or "god-like."

Steely Dan' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:04 AM' post='1458087']

My disgust with Flutie has more to do with his fans than him and he was a self serving little prick. His fans treated him like Mother Theresa. He could do no wrong. They kissed the ground he walked on. They were so maniacal in their defense of him that they became annoying jokes. You can only take so much godlike worship before becoming annoyed.

This is the truth that I'm seeing here. People don't like him because of his fans to which I say again, so what? We're all cheering for the same team right?

Mr. WEO' date='Jun 19 2009, 11:47 AM' post='1458144']

Very simply, he brought excitement back to a diseased franchise.

It was never going to last long, but it was a good time. Why would anyone complain about good times? I'm sure none of these guys were bitching about Flutie back then.

That's a good question. Why would anyone complain about a good time. I asked that already but no one has answered it.

Beerball' date='Jun 19 2009, 01:15 PM' post='1458244']

It's really not so much that I dislike Flutie...well, I do, but not in a "I hope he gets run over by a rusty truck that dragging a maggot infested smelly dead carcass" kind of way.

It's just all you flakes that really piss me off.

Again some truth. Flutie haters seem to hate Flutie fans. Flutie fans are grateful for what he did. Why should we be hated?

Mr. Fancy Pants' date='Jun 19 2009, 02:45 PM' post='1458313']

Flutie would have been a damn good rickshaw runner........that's about it. :)

Okay. A non-Flutie fan. Flutie bashing.

BuffaloPride' date='Jun 20 2009, 06:28 AM' post='1458616']

The hate involves the fact that Flutie was an !@#$. He wasn't nearly as good as he thought he was. End of story.

BuffaloPride weighs in again.

Steely Dan' date='Jun 20 2009, 11:52 AM' post='1458751']

Right on dude! Flutie worshipers are a big reason a lot of people don't like Flutie.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here. Don't like Flutie or his fans. Even though his fans are simply grateful for the excitement and success he brought us, rescuing us from some dark times. This is where I would insert the won-lost record of the 2 quarterbacks who had the benefit of the same defense if this post weren't already so damn long.

Beerball' date='Jun 20 2009, 08:49 PM' post='1458949']

perhaps if he were a wee bit taller

Midget joke. Typical Flutie bashing. Don't like small QBs. I get it.

Alaska Darin' date='Jun 21 2009, 07:30 AM' post='1459055']

When the BILLS have a team that's as good as the one that surrounded Flutie, they will win with similar mediocre QB play. Flutie was an average QB on a very good football team. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yes Darin but Flutie was 23-11 with the same defense that Rob Johnson was 7-10 with. He was all we had and you should be thankful that we had him or else...

BuffaloPride' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:44 PM' post='1459330']

Really? I paid the increase and renewed my seasons that year and I can tell you I didn't do it because of that piece of sh--. I renewed my tickets because, unlike you, I from here and I love my team. There is a tradition in my family of going to Bills games that dates back to when my father took me when I was a kid. When the lease was up for renewal I anted up so I would be able to continue that tradition and be able to take my kids to games as well. God bless the Buffalo Bills...and f^ck Doug Flutie in his worthless a$$.

I respect the season ticket tradition thing but as has been pointed out a few times, the lease renewal had more to do with selling luxury seating to corporations. These were not being sold through the first third of the season.

Chef Jim' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:54 PM' post='1459339']

I didn't like him and I was not a huge RJ backer. I just didn't like the way he played to position. With him when he went back to pass it always looked like he was thinking run first, pass second. He'd run around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Even if he had taken them to the SB and won it I still would not have liked his style.

This is the third thing among those who don't like Flutie. Besides his personality and his fans, people don't like the fact that he was not a prototype quarterback.

Cynical' date='Jun 21 2009, 05:55 PM' post='1459340']

What part of "team" don't you get?

Suites and tickets were sold because the "team" won. Flutie just happened to be the QB.

Why is it so hard to grasp that if the "team" had won without Flutie, the Bills still would have sold the suites, etc ...?

Cynical, the team unfortunately could not win without Flutie (23-11 versus 7-10). You are speaking in hypotheticals. There were two quarterbacks on the roster. We were lucky that Flutie was there to allow the Bills to win and sell suites and tickets. Without him it wouldn't have happened.

VOR' date='Jun 21 2009, 06:02 PM' post='1459344']

The club seats would have sold, eventually. Ralph would have pushed the deadline back.

And you base this on what? It's conjecture on your part and I'm glad we never had to find out if that was true.

Alaska Darin' date='Jun 21 2009, 07:04 PM' post='1459376']

Note to Doug Flutie fans: The fact that Doug Flutie was a better QB than Rob Johnson in NO WAY means he was a good NFL QB. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

It's not hard to understand. Again, go over the 300+ posts and dig me out more than 2-3 people saying he was that good.

BuffaloPride' date='Jun 21 2009, 07:31 PM' post='1459390']

And with that the Flutie fans grow silent. Nestled in their beds wearing their Doug Flutie jammies, while visions of the Hail Mary pass play over and over in their heads. Never mind the fact that Gerald Phelan was the real hero...just go to sleep. Shhhh...good night.

Wow. I and most of the other supporters have not lowered themselves to your level of profanity and mocking of others. Show me comparable disrespect from Flutie's supporters on this post. Until then you have lowered the level of discussion. I'm sorry your name is BuffaloPride. When I think of my hometown of 35 years I choose to forget people who are ignorant, profane, and intolerant.

The_Philster' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:19 PM' post='1460071']

maybe if people would stop sucking off the little midget..or if they just realized that football is a team game and it's ignorant as well as insulting to a QB's teammates when you give him credit for wins and losses

I'm not sucking him off nor are most of the other supporters. I'm being protective of his contributions to the team. It's important that history is fairly reported and not revised by a negative and virile hatred. Yes it is a team game. With him starting they were 23-11, with him not starting they were 7-10. Again an instance of contempt for those who support Flutie. Why? I don't get it. We're not calling people names here.

The_Philster' date='Jun 22 2009, 06:21 PM' post='1460073']

They were #1 in 1999...the year the diminutive one SUCKED like a cheap whore

Yeah the defense was great. We were 23-11 with Flutie starting with that defense and 7-10 with the other guy starting with that defense.

SteamRoller67' date='Jun 26 2009, 01:43 PM' post='1463733']

He wasn't in evil midget mode that night. Once in a while he's nice to humans when he recruits for his cult. :unsure:

Hmmm. Another slam at the man and those who simply are supportive and grateful for his time here.

thebandit27' date='Jun 26 2009, 01:48 PM' post='1463739']

The thread started by praising Flutie, and a reasonable contingent of posters (including myself) responded that we didn't like him.

We were asked to list our reasons, which we did--mine are well documented, but come down to 2 things: he wasn't a very good QB, and he wasn't a very good teammate.

I really respect the bandit for being honest. He stated his reasons.

No Flutie was not a great quarterback. I've never said he was. Yes, he probably wasn't a good teammate but like I said before so what? You'd prefer the other guy was at the controls? The other criticisms...his fans are insufferable. Are they even as bad as the people who attack him and his fans? What is the motivation to do that? Finally I don't like his style of play. Okay. I'd like all my QBs to look like Jay Cutler or Jim Kelly but those guys are few and far between.

I've got to hand it to you, san jose, you think your posts out as well as anybody.

As I said, I can't speak to the daggers that some other posters have for flutie, I can only say why I dislike him.

We disagree about him, that's ok, we've done it before with players (see: Ayers, Robert) and I'm sure we'll do it again (see: Tebow, Tim).

Nevertheless, I do appreciate the sentiment.

I imagine when Rip Van Winkle wakes up from his slumber, this thread will still be going.

Question, who gives a crap anymore?

In retrospect, both were good for what they did, and both sucked enough not to win playoff games. We're a decade removed from that garbage. End of story.

Can not argue with that but I will bet if you ask any one of them in a must win game who they would rather have under center; R/J or Flute they would all say #7.

They'd likely say none of the above if that were an option, though

Rob Johnson sucked..............he was the bust of all bust.

To bad the Bills benched Fluite for that piece of sh--. :unsure:

As I said before, ROB JOHNSON DOES NOT PLAY SPECIAL TEAMS.

To add, Doug Flutie DID throw to the other team far, far too often... you never see those highlights; when the games actually mattered. That loss to Miami in the playoffs was shameful- it won't be forgotten every time this debate comes up, that's for sure.

As I said before, ROB JOHNSON DOES NOT PLAY SPECIAL TEAMS.

To add, Doug Flutie DID throw to the other team far, far too often... you never see those highlights; when the games actually mattered. That loss to Miami in the playoffs was shameful- it won't be forgotten every time this debate comes up, that's for sure.

Doug Fluite got us to the playoffs, it was dumb to put in Rob Johnson. Maybe Flutie would have put up more points that game and it would have never come down to that play?

Rob Johnson was AWFUL in Buffalo.................period! Why the hate for Flutie, I'll never know.

IMHO, Flutie should have been our QB in the playoffs!

Umm..we did bash Kelly at the time. Remember fans heckling him so bad after a loss he gave them the finger. Kelly was young at the time and didn't know better. He learned, and played a major roll in guiding us to 4 superbowls. What was Fluties excuse? Was he young? Did he not know better? Did he guide us to any superbowls?

As I recall, the Bills missed the playoffs Kelly's first 2 seasons, then lost in the playoffs 2 consecutive years before that tremendous 4-year Superbowl run, losing all 4 of those.

We'll never know what Flutie might have accomplished since, as has been pointed out, he was promised a chance to compete for the starting QB job, then relegated to backup as Wade Phillips reneged on that commitment and named SoCal surfer kitty Rob Johnson the starting QB before training camp. Flutie finally earned the starting position based on his stellar play during the time surfer boy was recovering from injuries suffered while falling on a football, and led the Bills to the playoffs. The following season, Flutie started 15 games and led the Bills to the playoffs for the second consecutive season, only to be benched again by big fat stupid Wade in favor of surfer dude. In 2000, Flutie was named backup to surfer boy again, and went 4-1 as a starter in the games that surfer wimp was injured. (Oft-injured RJ was 4-7 as a starter that year). Then, Flutie left the Bills. (Who could blame him for leaving, or for having a 'chip on his shoulder' after being jerked around for 3 seasons by Wade & Co.?)

So it's extremely unreasonable to just say of Doug Flutie, "Oh yeah? Did he guide us to any Superbowls?"

Then, Flutie left the Bills. (Who could blame him for leaving, or for having a 'chip on his shoulder' after being jerked around for 3 seasons by Wade & Co.?)

So it's extremely unreasonable to just say of Doug Flutie, "Oh yeah? Did he guide us to any Superbowls?"

Jesus.

Flutie did not "leave" the Bills. The Bills cut a/k/a RELEASED him. And they didn't do it because Flutie asked them to. He failed the interview process.

Here's a tip. Never walk into an interview, and tell management you are going to do things your way, regardless. And if they don't like it, tough. That has a tendency not to go over well.

Maybe if Flutie kept his ego in check during the interview process, TD may have chosen DF instead of RJ.

Doug Fluite got us to the playoffs, it was dumb to put in Rob Johnson. Maybe Flutie would have put up more points that game and it would have never come down to that play?

You obviously didn't watch the 99 Bills if you thought Flutie would've put up more points...the defense carried that team and anyone who saw the Bills that season without their head firmly in Flutie's crotch knows that

You obviously didn't watch the 99 Bills if you thought Flutie would've put up more points...the defense carried that team and anyone who saw the Bills that season without their head firmly in Flutie's crotch knows that

Yet the following season Johnson was 4-7 as a starter, while Flutie put up a 4-1 record when starting in place of the oft-injured SoCal surfer wuss. I believe our defensive unit was the same no matter which QB played, yes?

Jesus.

Flutie did not "leave" the Bills. The Bills cut a/k/a RELEASED him. And they didn't do it because Flutie asked them to. He failed the interview process.

Here's a tip. Never walk into an interview, and tell management you are going to do things your way, regardless. And if they don't like it, tough. That has a tendency not to go over well.

Maybe if Flutie kept his ego in check during the interview process, TD may have chosen DF instead of RJ.

Yes yes, you are correct - I should have said that he was 'released', not that he 'left'. :unsure:

The Bills did indeed release him - and too bad they made that bad decision, since Flutie got them to the playoffs 2 consecutive seasons, compiling a 22-9 W-L record as a starter, while Wade's boy, SoCal surfer wuss, couldn't quite match Flutie's winning ways, compiling a 7-10 W-L record during the same period, leading the Bills to an 8-8 record in 2000 and, of course, missing the playoffs - which we've missed every freaking year since Flutie was 'released'.

But then, Wade made lots of stupid decisions.

Yes yes, you are correct - I should have said that he was 'released', not that he 'left'. :thumbsup:

The Bills did indeed release him - and too bad they made that bad decision, since Flutie got them to the playoffs 2 consecutive seasons, compiling a 22-9 W-L record as a starter, while Wade's boy, SoCal surfer wuss, couldn't quite match Flutie's winning ways, compiling a 7-10 W-L record during the same period, leading the Bills to an 8-8 record in 2000 and, of course, missing the playoffs - which we've missed every freaking year since Flutie was 'released'.

But then, Wade made lots of stupid decisions.

Here, let me repeat this for you:

"Here's a tip. Never walk into an interview, and tell management you are going to do things your way, regardless. And if they don't like it, tough. That has a tendency not to go over well."

And to add to that:

Especially when management is the new GM and the new HC, and both have no allegiance to either candidate.

Instead of bitching about the Bills choosing RJ, and cutting Flutie loose, why don't you at least lay partial blame on the idiot that failed the interview process, because he could not keep his ego in check, and was too busy running his mouth.

Here, let me repeat this for you:

"Here's a tip. Never walk into an interview, and tell management you are going to do things your way, regardless. And if they don't like it, tough. That has a tendency not to go over well."

And to add to that:

Especially when management is the new GM and the new HC, and both have no allegiance to either candidate.

Instead of bitching about the Bills choosing RJ, and cutting Flutie loose, why don't you at least lay partial blame on the idiot that failed the interview process, because he could not keep his ego in check, and was too busy running his mouth.

Repeat it as often as you like - doesn't make it any less ludicrous.

Flutie was the tougher of the two QBs- and the smarter - and seemed to find ways to win. Wade was stupid to keep Flutie on the bench in favor of RJ. TD was stupid to choose RJ over Flutie. How'd the Bills do during that TD/Greggo/Mularkey era, anyway? Any post-season action?

Nah, it's better to lay blame where it belongs--with the idiot new GM, who in a more lucid state and as a football observer (like the rest of us), clearly stated the obvious:

"As a starter, Flutie's record is now 21-9, what's the decision?," Donahoe (the ESPN analyst) asked.

Perhaps durign the interview, TD should have realized that Flutie was trying to save him future embarrassment in his choice of QB.

Yet the following season Johnson was 4-7 as a starter, while Flutie put up a 4-1 record when starting in place of the oft-injured SoCal surfer wuss. I believe our defensive unit was the same no matter which QB played, yes?

show me where I or anyone else said anything in favor of Johnson..your post is beyond idiotic...who the !@#$ cares about comparing the two? Is that the only argument you Flutie worshippers can come up with? He was better than RJ..so !@#$ing what? No one is denying that...still doesn't change the fact that your hero was a crappy QB in 1999

Get your head out of Flutie's crotch and stop insinuating that people are saying things they aren't.

As far as Williams and TD choosing RJ over Flutie, when one guy says he won't do what he's told and the other says he'll do everything he can to make things work, what do you expect?

Good God...do you spend every night with a Flutie blow-up doll, too?