18 game regular season

I think every fan would like to see an 18 game regular season with maybe a 2 game preseason.

This would allow rookies and journeymen to see time in two full preseason games. Starters would see very limited time in the preseason.

But the NFL will have to expand the roster. I believe right now you can have 45 on the side line on game day. And have 53 men on the roster. You would probably need to expand that out to maybe 53 on the sideline and 65 on the team.The other 12 can be practice players and guys that could be used depending on opponent/injuries. You would have to add atleast one more round to the draft. Also could use the UFL as a farm type system. Put the UFL teams in smaller markets. Let them play in college stadiums of division 2 and three teams.

What you guys think? Like the idea of an 18 game regular season?

I think 16 games is enough. The only reason to expand to 18 is $$ for the owners and the league and I don't see the point of pushing the Superbowl back to mid/late February. The 16-game schedule puts enough rigor on the players physically & mentally, as it is.

Plus the starters usually don't play that much in the preseason, anyway. The last two games are usually for the fringe players trying to make the team and by the end of the season, only a handful of teams are playing the starters all 60 minutes - those being the ones who are still trying to make the playoffs.

Not worth it, IMO.

I think 16 games is enough. The only reason to expand to 18 is $$ for the owners and the league and I don't see the point of pushing the Superbowl back to mid/late February. The 16-game schedule puts enough rigor on the players physically & mentally, as it is.

Plus the starters usually don't play that much in the preseason, anyway. The last two games are usually for the fringe players trying to make the team and by the end of the season, only a handful of teams are playing the starters all 60 minutes - those being the ones who are still trying to make the playoffs.

Not worth it, IMO.

I kinda like the idea of pushing the Super Bowl back to President's Day where the general public can have a day of recovery following the "big game".

I also see nothing wrong with owners getting more money from the increase of regular season games, ie Ralph Wilson. Whatever extra revenue he could bring in as a result would help the Bills to remain in Buffalo.

I kinda like the idea of pushing the Super Bowl back to President's Day where the general public can have a day of recovery following the "big game".

I also see nothing wrong with owners getting more money from the increase of regular season games, ie Ralph Wilson. Whatever extra revenue he could bring in as a result would help the Bills to remain in Buffalo.

I hope this works out as such - Do the prices of luxury boxes go up proportionately for two more games? That would cost us. However, I'd guess merchandise stays the same.

It would have to be negotiated into the new CBA. I can see the union possibly accepting one more game, but I cannot see them accepting two more games.

I don't think that you need to add another round to the draft. You already have plenty of players not making the squads with the current setup.

Not worth it, IMO.

I'm in this camp too. Love it the way it is and any more games presents the opportunity to lose great players that helped you be on the cusp of/make the playoffs.

I'd definately be in favor of the Super Bowl being the Sunday before a Monday holiday though. MLK?

It would have to be negotiated into the new CBA. I can see the union possibly accepting one more game, but I cannot see them accepting two more games.

I don't think that you need to add another round to the draft. You already have plenty of players not making the squads with the current setup.

What about contract incentives for in-season statistics?

IIRC, MLB players lobbied to have rain-out delay stats included for that very reason.

What about contract incentives for in-season statistics?

IIRC, MLB players lobbied to have rain-out delay stats included for that very reason.

They would be adjusted for the additional game(s).

Make the first two games the interconference games with expanded rosters. Those games mean the least in all the tiebreakers.

Actually, interconference games make a huge difference in tie-breakers.

I think every fan would like to see an 18 game regular season with maybe a 2 game preseason.

This would allow rookies and journeymen to see time in two full preseason games. Starters would see very limited time in the preseason.

But the NFL will have to expand the roster. I believe right now you can have 45 on the side line on game day. And have 53 men on the roster. You would probably need to expand that out to maybe 53 on the sideline and 65 on the team.The other 12 can be practice players and guys that could be used depending on opponent/injuries. You would have to add atleast one more round to the draft. Also could use the UFL as a farm type system. Put the UFL teams in smaller markets. Let them play in college stadiums of division 2 and three teams.

What you guys think? Like the idea of an 18 game regular season?

My guess is that if they go to an 18 gqame format there will be more games played outside the US each year (not including the Buff TO deal). Maybe goes from 1 game to 4 per year as a way to increase revenue and exposure.

Make the additional game(s) the neutral site game(s). That way, nobody loses a home game and the NFL can still do their international thingy.

If they went to 18 games, what would you rather see schedule wise?

1. 2 additional non-conference games from a different division, where the Bills play the NFC East and then 2 teams from the NFC West.

or

2. 2 additional conference games, similar to the 2 non-common opponents, so each team now has 4 non-commons. the Bills play the AFC West, and then play both the 3rd and 4th place teams from the other 2 divisions.

or

3. off the wall idea - 2 non conference home-and-home "rivalry games," such as Jets-Giants, Steelers-Eagles, Ravens-Redskins?

If they went to 18 games, what would you rather see schedule wise?

1. 2 additional non-conference games from a different division, where the Bills play the NFC East and then 2 teams from the NFC West.

or

2. 2 additional conference games, similar to the 2 non-common opponents, so each team now has 4 non-commons. the Bills play the AFC West, and then play both the 3rd and 4th place teams from the other 2 divisions.

or

3. off the wall idea - 2 non conference home-and-home "rivalry games," such as Jets-Giants, Steelers-Eagles, Ravens-Redskins?

1 and 2 are the most feasible from a scheduling perspective. The rivalry game may be part of the normal schedule, so what do you do then? Of the first two options, I would rather see number 2. To me, that would make things more interesting from a potential playoff perspective in that you have a better chance to play someone that you might have to fight for a playoff spot. Now, you are going to come back and discuss that we would be playing the 3rd and 4th spots so playoffs might not have an impact, but as we know, the 3rd and 4th can become the 1st or 2nd the following year.

The second option would be better, IMO. I would rather see more conference games.

No too much of a good thing is a bad thing. To accommodate the added dates you would have to add dates at the beginning of the year (The last weeks of August and Labor day weekend) or tack on games towards the end of the year (which means the super bowl would be played sometime around Valentines day). No thanks to both of those scenarios.

Or you would have to tack on a week at the beginning and one week at the end. Which means the Super bowl gets played Around February 8th and the season starts on labor day (which would be the best way to do it if you had to do it). Just don't want to see the game get over exposed. Also you have so many injuries once you reach the playoffs as is with two more games the rosters would be further depleted.

Also the carers of the players are already so short. If you added two games a year that would further shorten the carers of players if you play 8 years with an 18 game schedule it would be like adding a another 16 games to a players carer. I also don't think the players would like it they already go through so much in a 16 game season adding on 2 more games just seems like too much for even those guys to handle.

As for preseason I don't like it but I see the point. The starters only get big playing time during two games anyway. The coaching staff needs those extra games to slot backups and find out who the last guys on the roster and practice squad are going to be.

Make the additional game(s) the neutral site game(s). That way, nobody loses a home game and the NFL can still do their international thingy.

Would you have to add another off week for the whole league in order to accommodate the travel which would extend the season another week. Even if you took away the one bye with each team gets with a off week to travel than you can only have one neutral site game or add another bye week which means you would have two weeks with no football.

Its a logistical nightmare and would add at least another three weeks to the season which means you go from 17 weeks to 20 or 21 weeks. I just don't like the whole idea of ending the season in March or having a season start in mid August.

"The only way that I've addressed it is to tell the team that it's possibly a new chapter in the season. It's a new chapter in our book. We will write it ourselves. I don't address it other than that, and it's not any different than, really, any other week.

We understand the differences between a 16 game schedule and a 17 or 18 game schedule. I don't know that in my experience I've ever been anywhere as a coach -- certainly not as a head coach --where a regular season was that long. Those numbers in our game are really incredible. Would it be a challenge if it happened? Certainly there would be adjustments to make but I'd be lying if I said the team and the staff is worrying about it right now."

Dick Jauron when asked about a possible increase in the number of regular season games.