First car?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix two tone silver with a burgundy interior made with soft and supple VYNAL seats. The old pontiac 301 V8 had a serious drinking problem, it nursed oil faster than an infant sucks down milk.

When I drove it off of the lot, I discovered a bottle of gin hidden under the drivers seat.

Oh, and uh........I forgot to mention that the frame was cracked on both the right and left sides. :thumbsup:

A 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix two tone silver with a burgundy interior made with soft and supple VYNAL seats. The old pontiac 301 V8 had a serious drinking problem, it nursed oil faster than an infant sucks down milk.

Oh, and uh........I forgot to mention that the frame was cracked on both the right and left sides. :thumbsup:

So it had an independant suspension

Not my 1st but most definitely my favorite was a car I bought when I was stationed in GTMO 89-92. It was a 71 Pontiac Bonneville and had been on the island since it was brand new in 71. :thumbsup: It was all original, including no liner in the ceiling so of course I spray painted it goldish to match the exterior. It had a huge red/white dive flag on the trunk lid, which BTW leaked like a sieve but the trunk held water great! :thumbsup: The passenger seat belt didn't buckle so whoever was riding shotgun had to tie it in a knot. :D Thats not so bad since the speed limit on the base was 25.

A pic of my GTMO Special (not the actual)

Not my 1st but most definitely my favorite was a car I bought when I was stationed in GTMO 89-92. It was a 71 Pontiac Bonneville and had been on the island since it was brand new in 71. :thumbsup: It was all original, including no liner in the ceiling so of course I spray painted it goldish to match the exterior. It had a huge red/white dive flag on the trunk lid, which BTW leaked like a sieve but the trunk held water great! :thumbsup: The passenger seat belt didn't buckle so whoever was riding shotgun had to tie it in a knot. :D Thats not so bad since the speed limit on the base was 25.

Wow. That thing needs an "ASSMAN" license plate.

Not my 1st but most definitely my favorite was a car I bought when I was stationed in GTMO 89-92. It was a 71 Pontiac Bonneville and had been on the island since it was brand new in 71. :thumbsup: It was all original, including no liner in the ceiling so of course I spray painted it goldish to match the exterior. It had a huge red/white dive flag on the trunk lid, which BTW leaked like a sieve but the trunk held water great! :thumbsup: The passenger seat belt didn't buckle so whoever was riding shotgun had to tie it in a knot. :o Thats not so bad since the speed limit on the base was 25.

:D

So I just purchased my first car. It's a silver 1999 Oldsmobile Alero...nothing really special, but dammit if I don't love the thing like it's my own child. I'm gonna go out and get a nice Bills decal as soon as possible.

Anybody have any cool first car stories?

First car was a 1987 Corolla LE that I bought in 1991 from a dealer near Orchard Park. Plain ole thing but to me, buying a car with my own money from a first job was coolness personified.

First car was an '81 Mustang with a '78 straight six engine out of a Grand Marquis frankensteined into it. I-beams for motor mounts. God only knows what the transmission was, but the gearing was all cockeyed, so the spedomoter never read the correct speed.

Through the car's life, it caught fire twice (both times I put it out with an extinguisher). My fondest memory is pirouetting on ice across Main Street in Williamsville with no control over the car. Oil pan gasket blew out 40k miles after I bought it. A garage quoted me $400 to fix the gasket, to which I said "Are you kidding me? The car's only worth $200. Screw it, I'll run it without oil." Another 40k miles later, I blew a piston ring...wasn't worth fixing either. Drove the car another 20k miles, with it burning some weird mix of oil, gas, and antifreeze. I finally got rid of it when the driver's seat fell through the floor WHEN I WAS DRIVING IT (fortunately, sitting at a light).

That car was a complete menace to anyone within 500 yards of it. Completely indestructible, though. Great car.