53 members have voted

1. 1. Iran's Election

• Legit victory for Ahmadinejad
    • Rigged

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're smart they won't say anything.

Exactly. I read a column the other day opining that Obama should be yapping loud and long about all this. IMO, anything said by the US will only serve to lend credibility to the desperate nonsense the hard liners are attempting to peddle about US influence on the election and protests.

Another thing that I find somewhat telling is that there are many protest signs that are in English. I wonder who they are communicating to?

One more interesting thing: If you look at the pics and videos of the rallies today and yesterday, you'll notice that all of the protesters' signs are in English. That's no accident – they're not speaking to their government, they're speaking to the international community. And that, too, is unprecedented.

Sounds like you found your answer. That's exactly who they are speaking to.

Exactly. I read a column the other day opining that Obama should be yapping loud and long about all this. IMO, anything said by the US will only serve to lend credibility to the desperate nonsense the hard liners are attempting to peddle about US influence on the election and protests.

This is a dynamic problem and it is constantly evolving hour by hour. So I agree with not acting immediately on this issue as I am all for going about things in a pragmatic manner. Acting too quickly could have some "unintended consequences" that we do not desire. However, my fear of not acting on this issue, is that it is possible that the protesters will get crushed from the Iranian government and that there could be a political backlash against our country for promoting Democracy but not protecting those that practice it abroad. We could be seen as the country that talks a good game, but when it comes to crunch time, we are silent with our actions.

One of these days the master communicator needs to step off the sidelines. He also recognizes that a speech from 600 Penn Ave carries a lot more weight than any pronunciations by anyone else. The fear that speaking out will further inflame the mullahs' power is unfounded, since the regime already rotely blamed the US and the Zionists, even though Obama & Israel have been silent.

By addressing Khamenei directly and not the Iranian people, Obama can send the message and paint the regime into a corner with the people. He can easily continue to delegitimize the elections because people smell something foul. He can seize the popular movement, which is similar to the events that started unfolding in the Soviet block in the late '80s.

I can't remember whose administration said that you shouldn't waste a crisis. I guess they were only talking about taking away property of US citizens.

Tomorrow could be nuts. Possibly in very good and very terrible ways simultaneously.

Here is the supposed translation:

"Tomorrow is the Saturday of destiny....Tonight the Allaho Akbar is louder than other nights....Where is this place? A country were people have only God left to reach out to... This is a country where every night people's scream of Allah O Akbar is louder than the night before... Every day I wait till night time comes so I can hear this sound and see if it is louder than the night before or not ... My body is shaking... I wonder if God is shaking himself?"

Yup. This was the tipping point. Christiane Amanpour: "The red line has been crossed. Dramatic shift inside Iran. You can hear Death to Khamenei in the streets."

The NYT's Roger Cohen, reporting from Tehran: "Iran has waited long enough to be free."

Now, we sit back and watch to find out whether it's Lexington and Concord, or Tiananmen Square.

One of these days the master communicator needs to step off the sidelines. He also recognizes that a speech from 600 Penn Ave carries a lot more weight than any pronunciations by anyone else. The fear that speaking out will further inflame the mullahs' power is unfounded, since the regime already rotely blamed the US and the Zionists, even though Obama & Israel have been silent.

By addressing Khamenei directly and not the Iranian people, Obama can send the message and paint the regime into a corner with the people. He can easily continue to delegitimize the elections because people smell something foul. He can seize the popular movement, which is similar to the events that started unfolding in the Soviet block in the late '80s.

I can't remember whose administration said that you shouldn't waste a crisis. I guess they were only talking about taking away property of US citizens.

He has to shut up if he really wants Israel to stand down on the nukes. If Obama riles this thing up, which he won't, then you speed up the "process" for Israel to do what they have to do. I wouldn't be shocked to see massive ramp up of military action by Israel over the next few weeks no matter what. If the "Twitter Revolution" turns into anything with legs....then fails, Israel needs to act fast.

The question becomes, how much are we in concert with Israel? I feel we have turned our backs for the most part.

We do not want Iran to turn into chaos now. The dominoes will start to fall fast around the world.

What's going on in Iran is HUGE!

President Obama is completely AWOL and useless!

Citing Dr. Martin Luther King? Mr President, shut up! You're clueless, Obama!!

:rolleyes:

600? Is that a Dunkin Donuts or something? :lol:

Oops. But hey, all those other places have been more effective in the last week than 1600

I don't know. The White House was being plenty effective, at least until they decided to issue statements beyond "We hope this is resolved without resort to violence."

Yup. This was the tipping point. Christiane Amanpour: "The red line has been crossed. Dramatic shift inside Iran. You can hear Death to Khamenei in the streets."

The NYT's Roger Cohen, reporting from Tehran: "Iran has waited long enough to be free."

Now, we sit back and watch to find out whether it's Lexington and Concord, or Tiananmen Square.

I have a feeling that if the use of force alla Tiananmen Square, will bring the international community into Iran...

What is very interesting is that other ranking clerics are talking out about the regime and it non-adhering to Isalmic Law...

While it is impossible to say this is exactly what is going to happen and where the country will be a week or two let alone a year or 5 from now, cracks in this government are definately there and separating further than any anticipated..If the current system holds, the cracks are there....

Edit - I just read this article...Here