Classic video - Last 2 minutes of Bills/dolphins 9/10/89

Yep, even then there were a lot of Buffalonians moving to the sunbelt cities and that was almost 20 years ago.

The proof of what you say is that when Kelly scores the touchdown, Joe Robbie Stadium doesn't suddenly go quiet like a morgue. As the drama unfolds on the field, the continuous roar of the crowd sustains until after the game ends. The audio evidence is overwhelming. There were tons of Bills fans at that game. Surely there were lots of Dolphans sitting there in stunned silence but fans of the squished fish made no noise.

I went with a good buddy of mine who was (still is) a rabid Fishead. As Kelly plopped into the end zone he let out this long, agonizing, anguished "NoooOOOooOOOoooOOOOooOOOOOooooo......."!!!

I don't think he was able to talk for 2 hours. Fracking perfection!!! I wish I had his email addy now, I'd love to torment him just one mo' time.

A heh, heh, heh.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the commentator repeatedly talking about how Kelly was making tactical errors, and taking too much time at the line, just throw an incomplete ...

Also love how color man Jimmy Cefalo didn't have much to say after the TD! Probably had to run out of the booth to scream some curse words.

L.A. Rams @ Bills Monday Night 10/16/89

Frank Reich at QB. Check out how clutch Thurman Thomas was, on the ground and through the air. What a weapon he was.

PTR

Loved that game, too. I remember there was no Al Michaels announcing that game because I believe he was in San Fran for the baseball playoffs when they had the big earthquake. So Frank Gifford and Dan Dierdorf had to announce that game themselves...and man, they were awful. I remember them being awful, and looking back on it now, they really were awful.

Am I getting my games mixed up? I remember watching this game in Balls Tavern in the Inner Harbour of Bmore. Lived in the district at the time, but Balls was the only place that guaranteed the game would be on. Thgis back in the day before the ticket, and most bars only pulled in two, maybe three games at most.

Anyways, was this not the game that Syracuse boy made two fumbles on either kickoff or punt returns to keep us in the game. He was the proverbial fast white gut, Scott Schrewdes or something like that. Hated that dude when he played for the Orange, and I seem to remember him talking chit on Western/Central NY once he started playing for the fish. I was SOOO happy when he fumbled. Maybe I am thinking of another game though???

Amyway, for all of you who were at the game, do those fumbles ring a bell?

Am I getting my games mixed up? I remember watching this game in Balls Tavern in the Inner Harbour of Bmore. Lived in the district at the time, but Balls was the only place that guaranteed the game would be on. Thgis back in the day before the ticket, and most bars only pulled in two, maybe three games at most.

Anyways, was this not the game that Syracuse boy made two fumbles on either kickoff or punt returns to keep us in the game. He was the proverbial fast white gut, Scott Schrewdes or something like that. Hated that dude when he played for the Orange, and I seem to remember him talking chit on Western/Central NY once he started playing for the fish. I was SOOO happy when he fumbled. Maybe I am thinking of another game though???

Amyway, for all of you who were at the game, do those fumbles ring a bell?

You might be thinking of the 1987 game when the Bills came back from 21-3 down to win.

Don't you just love watching Shula and Marino sneaking their team off the park and forgetting the extra point. Perfect.

:rolleyes:

What a great video! Thank you for posting this as it brought back a lot of great memories. It is great watching Marino stomp off the field...I never liked him and I never will. This was also classic footage of Shula who looked like he was going to choke on his gum after the game. With a field general like Jim Kelly in charge, you just knew that they would find a way to win....GO BILLS!

You might be thinking of the 1987 game when the Bills came back from 21-3 down to win.

Yup. First game after the strike with scab players at the new Fishtank. Orange Bowl mistique died that day. Kelly, Riddick and Burkett were awesome and Norwood kicked the OT winner. That win -by the regular Bills- followed the comeback vs. Houston in week 2 and we knew then we finally had a team to be reckoned with. A couple weeks later Bell was a Ram and Biscuit arrived.

Great times indeed!

20 years??? :lol:

I thought I saw that game yesterday. :rolleyes:

The following week, didn't they have a shootout win against Houston in OT? 47-41?

Another Andre Reed classic. He put one of the best moves I've seen on the Houston defender to score.

20 years??? :lol:

I thought I saw that game yesterday. :rolleyes:

The following week, didn't they have a shootout win against Houston in OT? 47-41?

Actually that was 2 weeks later - I know this because I was on my honeymoon and I went to the US Embassy in the Bahamas to get scores. The next week was a MNF game against the Broncos. My wife of 2 days and I went to it with a 'just married' sign trying to get on TV but sadly we did not have the media magnet we now do. Sadly also, we lost that game 28-14. On the plus side, I'm still married (holy crap - 20 yrs!)