Classic video - Last 2 minutes of Bills/dolphins 9/10/89

As I said, I was there and what is never brought up is why was Miami throwing on Odomes pick. It was 3rd and 10 and the Bills had no TO's left. Miami runs the ball, clock winds down and a punt would have set the Bills way back in their own zone.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still the greatest single play in Bills history, in my opinion.

As I said, I was there and what is never brought up is why was Miami throwing on Odomes pick. It was 3rd and 10 and the Bills had no TO's left. Miami runs the ball, clock winds down and a punt would have set the Bills way back in their own zone.

Because it was Miami and Marino. RUN the ball? Seriously (even though it would have been the safer call)?

Still the greatest single play in Bills history, in my opinion.

Because it was Miami and Marino. RUN the ball? Seriously (even though it would have been the safer call)?

I know it was Marino and Shula's arrogance but what a terrible call.

Like a couple of other posters, I was at that game too. I think my heart actually stopped beating on that last play and didn't start up again until Kelly lumbered into the end zone.

The Bills fans at that game, and believe me......there were thousands of them, went completely insane. Just insane. What a feeling.....

You know one thing that struck me, watching this clip again? The stark difference between Levy then and Jauron now. Listen....I am not going to start yapping about DJ, but just hear me out........

Watch the way Levy acts during the last 2 minutes. He is never out of control, but there is emotion and passion there. The players and coaches gravitate to him on the sidelines. After Kelly's TD, he jumps in and congratulates and celebrates with the team. He is part of the team.

What a difference between then and now.

That's all I'm going to say. That's all I should have to say.

Thank you for the link. That game is one of my all time favorite memories.....and I was lucky enough to be there.

I remember after the game when a reporter asked shula, "how tough of a loss it was" All he said was "it is enough to make me want to cry". Right then & there I knew the bills were in for a nice run in the afc east. They got into Miami's heads that day & back then they were the main competition for the division.

I should have needed a defibrillator. Fortunately I was young then. If that happens this season I'll probably be dead. Especially if it happens in the first game against the Pets*.

I loved the slow walk off by the Poorpiss players gotta love 'em!

I should have needed a defibrillator. Fortunately I was young then. If that happens this season I'll probably be dead. Especially if it happens in the first game against the Pets*.

I loved the slow walk off by the Poorpiss players gotta love 'em!

Especially since they had to come back out for the XP.

I know it was Marino and Shula's arrogance but what a terrible call.

IMO one of the things that went wrong during the Shula-Marino years is that Danny Boy ran the offense. In all his years there, they could never successfully implement a strong rushing attack and it's my sense that this is because Marino often audibled into passing plays. Unlike Jim Kelly, Marino simply couldn't stifle his own ego. He just had to let it fly. And Shula was powerless to stop him.

The Dolphins were a smash-mouth football team before Marino's arrival (Kiick, Csonka, Morris), and in 1973 they capped off a perfect season by attempting only 11 passes in the Super Bowl VII victory over the Redskins. Shula had always been an old school grind-it-out type coach. Quite simply I believe that Shula and Marino were ultimately a bad mix.

As for the original post, thanks greatly Jay Rubeo. My buddy had a football party that day at his apartment on Lexington Avenue near Elmwood that day. He had rows of theater seats (possibly from the old Century Theater) so we had theater seating in his living room. From the perspective of a Bills fan, moments like this and the Comeback Game victory are the greatest moments we have. When Kelly broke the plane of the goal line the emotions ran the full gamut. The full gamut. Thanks again.

The Bills fans at that game, and believe me......there were thousands of them, went completely insane. Just insane. What a feeling.....

Yep, even then there were a lot of Buffalonians moving to the sunbelt cities and that was almost 20 years ago.

The proof of what you say is that when Kelly scores the touchdown, Joe Robbie Stadium doesn't suddenly go quiet like a morgue. As the drama unfolds on the field, the continuous roar of the crowd sustains until after the game ends. The audio evidence is overwhelming. There were tons of Bills fans at that game. Surely there were lots of Dolphans sitting there in stunned silence but fans of the squished fish made no noise.

It is these games that we old folks remember and this is why we still don't care for the fish. I was so happy when we got going and beat the fish for so many years. I don't like the Pets* but I still hate the fish also. In watching this video and watching the ones on Reeds catches I am so ready for the season to start.I hope we can run the offense as fast as we did back than. I had forgotten how fast our Offense was ran back in the hey days.

Go Bills

It is these games that we old folks remember and this is why we still don't care for the fish. I was so happy when we got going and beat the fish for so many years. I don't like the Pets* but I still hate the fish also. In watching this video and watching the ones on Reeds catches I am so ready for the season to start.I hope we can run the offense as fast as we did back than. I had forgotten how fast our Offense was ran back in the hey days.

Go Bills

Actually, the K-Gun hadn't started yet - this was just a 2-minute drill. They made a big deal of the fact that Kelly had to call a play at the line. The K-Gun started in 90 after playing most of the 2nd half in 2-minute mode against the Browns in the 89 playoffs.

This is why I argue with the throngs of Miami fans down here in Orlando, that Marino, as great of a passer that he was, was not a great quarterback!

L.A. Rams @ Bills Monday Night 10/16/89

Frank Reich at QB. Check out how clutch Thurman Thomas was, on the ground and through the air. What a weapon he was.

PTR

Great minds, Promo - I just watched that myself at lunchtime. Notice how he rebounded from that fumble as opposed to the one in SBXXVIII :doh:

I love the commentator repeatedly talking about how Kelly was making tactical errors, and taking too much time at the line, just throw an incomplete ...

Kelly was in control ... this game, that play was where a lot of the 90s began.

Actually, the K-Gun hadn't started yet - this was just a 2-minute drill. They made a big deal of the fact that Kelly had to call a play at the line. The K-Gun started in 90 after playing most of the 2nd half in 2-minute mode against the Browns in the 89 playoffs.

I knew that but i guess I refering to the how after the ball was snapped we got the ball out of our hands and into the recievers hands. I guess I didn't make my self clear about that. I just don't think the Bills can move the ball the way we use too. Go watch the you tube on Reeds catches and I believe you will see what I'm talking about. The recievers are down field before the D can even get across the line. It might be because of the line also.