Cash for Clunkers plan!! I love it!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another bullsh-- wealth distribution program disguised as some tree hugging nonsense (you don't really think you're getting a rebate for your car if you make $75k do you?). And of course, it will require thousands of new government paper shufflers to administer the program, further burdening taxpayers.

Hooray for Change!!

Yet another bullsh-- wealth distribution program disguised as some tree hugging nonsense (you don't really think you're getting a rebate for your car if you make $75k do you?). And of course, it will require thousands of new government paper shufflers to administer the program, further burdening taxpayers.

Hooray for Change!!

Laugh if you want. I just got $4500 for turning in Nancy Pelosi.

This is one of the few "programs" that has been pretty successful elsewhere. We'll probably screw it up.

I think it's unfortunate that they didn't allow anyone who bought a new car to get involved. It'd be nice to have some nice fuel efficient options available.

This is one of the few "programs" that has been pretty successful elsewhere. We'll probably screw it up.

I think it's unfortunate that they didn't allow anyone who bought a new car to get involved. It'd be nice to have some nice fuel efficient options available.

What I don't like is that they changed it so it applies only to cars/suv's that get less than 18 MPG. Originally it was written to upgrade any older vehicle that as long as the new car got 6 mpg or more per gallon. But with the change in wording, I can't use it.

What I don't like is that they changed it so it applies only to cars/suv's that get less than 18 MPG. Originally it was written to upgrade any older vehicle that as long as the new car got 6 mpg or more per gallon. But with the change in wording, I can't use it.

I didn't read any of it, so I don't know the details. Like I said, we'll probably screw it up.

Is that 18 miles per gallon or less city driving or highway driving?

Combined. The new bill has it 3500 for a 5 MPG change and 4500 for a 10 MPG change. Also, no cars older that 25 years and the car must have been registered and insured by you for the previous year in order to qualify. So no going to buy a clunker from the junk yard and trading in.

Combined. The new bill has it 3500 for a 5 MPG change and 4500 for a 10 MPG change. Also, no cars older that 25 years and the car must have been registered and insured by you for the previous year in order to qualify. So no going to buy a clunker from the junk yard and trading in.

I'm gonna get $4500 for a Corvette.

... or just raise the gas tax by $1 and let the market do the decision making on what kind of a car to drive ...

[oops, comment was meant for this thread]

I like to have space to haul things w/o having to tow a trailer around. Like packing my kids stuff for the yearly trip to college 300 miles away. For that I need an explorer or suburban. Besides trailer suck because you can't drive past 65 w/o it swaying as you cruise along. And I hate getting passed by traffic.

I don't see much of an option as an upgrade to meet those needs.

I like to have space to haul things w/o having to tow a trailer around. Like packing my kids stuff for the yearly trip to college 300 miles away. For that I need an explorer or suburban. Besides trailer suck because you can't drive past 65 w/o it swaying as you cruise along. And I hate getting passed by traffic.

I think you mean a Ford EXPEDITION (prior to its end in 2005 and even bigger there was the excursion)... I wouldn't put the explorer in the same class, because it is not. :rolleyes:

And anyway... The venerable suburban has been around since the mid-1930's... So there is obviously a need amongst consumers.

Just curious - about how many days a year would you need that much room? For me its about two that my car is packed (if that).

Seems pretty inefficient to gas around in a larger car 365 days if you only use the space 10 days or less. Like choosing a pickup truck because of that (for most of us) one day a year when you need to move furniture.