Cash for Clunkers plan!! I love it!!

So much for blaming bad management or bad designs or extending car lines out to far (with bad designs). :doh: No, but you are right... it's ALL the unions fault. Damn those union members for giving back more and more and even more to help out.

Ok, let's play along with this. What usually entails with changing a car design using next generation technology? What happens when a car company extends a product for longer than its realistic market demand?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for blaming bad management or bad designs or extending car lines out to far (with bad designs). :doh: No, but you are right... it's ALL the unions fault. Damn those union members for giving back more and more and even more to help out.

hmm

where did I say it's ALL the unions fault? As a matter of fact, I put in BOLD the word BIGGEST so there would be no confusion regarding my statement. "The Unions are the biggest reason that the US Auto Industry are insolvent."

I guess you didn't pick up on that. :lol:

Ok, let's play along with this. What usually entails with changing a car design using next generation technology? What happens when a car company extends a product for longer than its realistic market demand?

GG how does changing of the design relate to the union workers except they are ones that will eventually place that new technology in the vehicle? The lack of design change comes from above. Those decisions are not made by the workers on the line.

Now in regards to the product line... I firmly believe that GM became to crazy. GMC, Chevy, Saturn, Buick, Pontiac, Hummer, Saab, Cadillac. Just to many. They could of and should of scaled back the brands years ago when the decline began.

hmm

where did I say it's ALL the unions fault? As a matter of fact, I put in BOLD the word BIGGEST so there would be no confusion regarding my statement. "The Unions are the biggest reason that the US Auto Industry are insolvent."

I guess you didn't pick up on that. :lol:

My bad. I equated you stating the BIGGEST reason is because of the union as it's all the unions fault. You clearly meant the majority. :lol: And you are wrong. :doh:

Let me add to this: I will agree that some union workers do take advantage of situations and are lazy. However, the majority I know and respect are great, not just good, but great hard working people who earn their money. Now if some of you would like to blame the union for fair salaries and benefits you must also blame management. They agreed to each and every contract.

My bad. I equated you stating the BIGGEST reason is because of the union as it's all the unions fault. You clearly meant the majority. :lol: And you are wrong. :doh:

Nope, I meant exactly what it is that I said. Hence the Bold the letters :lol:

I've got a very simple question for you ok, are you ready?

GM sold more vehicles than it ever did in 2007, why did the company still post a record loss of over a $38 Billion for the year with record sales?

GG how does changing of the design relate to the union workers except they are ones that will eventually place that new technology in the vehicle? The lack of design change comes from above. Those decisions are not made by the workers on the line.

And that redesign has nothing to do with where the new products are sourced nor does it have anything to do with whether the new vehicles need to be produced in the same factories or how the suppliers be affected by a total overhaul of production?

Now in regards to the product line... I firmly believe that GM became to crazy. GMC, Chevy, Saturn, Buick, Pontiac, Hummer, Saab, Cadillac. Just to many. They could of and should of scaled back the brands years ago when the decline began.

And exactly how do you scale back without massive job cuts?

Nope, I meant exactly what it is that I said. Hence the Bold the letters :doh:

I've got a very simple question for you ok, are you ready?

GM sold more vehicles than it ever did in 2007, why did the company still post a record loss of over a $38 Billion for the year with record sales?

I know you meant what you said. Good for you.

There is no question that cost of labor comes into this. Is it the main reason, no. What about bloated CEO and management salaries? I wonder how workers would be covered with one year of the CEO's salary?

Yes, some people work with great companies. Yet there are many of people who don't, who would be run over by management if it wasn't for their union representation.

Oh and...

SUPPORT THE EMPLOYEE FREE CHOICE ACT!!! Many businesses do.

I know you meant what you said. Good for you.

There is no question that cost of labor comes into this. Is it the main reason, no. What about bloated CEO and management salaries? I wonder how workers would be covered with one year of the CEO's salary?

I think DC Tom telegraphed what you were about to say :doh:

I think DC Tom telegraphed what you were about to say :doh:

Negative.

Interesting fact:

In 2007, G. Richard Wagoner raked in $19,761,874 in total compensation.* In the previous year the CEO of this company made $11,041,656. Total CEO compensation has increased by 79%.

Damn I was I could a 79% raise.

Negative.

Interesting fact:

In 2007, G. Richard Wagoner raked in $19,761,874 in total compensation.* In the previous year the CEO of this company made $11,041,656. Total CEO compensation has increased by 79%.

So let's do some simple math ok?

Subtract $20 Million from $38 Billion and we get what?

ya, you're right, this is what caused them to be insolvent :doh:

I guess you can attribute your math skills to Obamanomics

Generally speaking, large raises go to people who prove they can type a complete sentence.

But don't give up hope. Anything is possible. And if we've learned anything, it's that raise I could I was damn 79%.

So let's do some simple math ok?

Subtract $20 Million from $38 Billion and we get what?

ya, you're right, this is what caused them to be insolvent :doh:

I guess you can attribute your math skills to Obamanomics

Just one person moron. Add up the other bloated salaries. You think he was the only getting a huge raise?

Generally speaking, large raises go to people who prove they can type a complete sentence.

But don't give up hope. Anything is possible. And if we've learned anything, it's that raise I could I was damn 79%.

Zing. :doh:

Just one person moron. Add up the other bloated salaries. You think he was the only getting a huge raise?

Oh ya, the other bloated salaries made up a good portion of the $38 B :doh:

Keep posting, I enjoy reading the vomit you type through the diarrhea you've been spood fed by this administration.

Oh ya, the other bloated salaries made up a good portion of the $38 B :doh:

Keep posting, I enjoy reading the vomit you type through the diarrhea you've been spood fed by this administration.

From 2007:

General Motors reported a $39 billion third quarter loss yesterday, the largest in the company’s history. The huge loss was the result of GM taking $38.6 billion non-cash charge, indicating a higher risk of a slow turn around that could prevent the automaker from claiming expected future tax credits.

GM stated that it took the charge due to losses in the United States and Canada over the last three years, as well as Germany through the most recent quarter. The automaker also blamed the charge on “ongoing weakness” at finance company and former subsidiary GMAC.

According to Automotive News, companies are allowed to keep credit on their balance sheets to offset future tax liabilities if they are found to have overpaid past taxes. But U.S. accounting rules state that companies expecting to keep losing money cannot carry the the tax credits indefinitely, and must claim them at some point.

GM Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner said that he doesn’t expect the loss to affect the day-to-day activities at GM. “It doesn’t have any impact at all,” he said. “I would encourage people not to overreact in a negative way to it.”

GM’s losses in North America totaled $247 million last quarter — not including the charge — up from a $667 million loss the year before. “We continue to implement the key elements of our North America turnaround strategy, and these initiatives are driving steady improvement in our financial results, despite challenging North America market conditions,” Wagoner said.

GM’s 49% stake in GMAC lost the automaker a reported $757 million last quarter.

GM failed to mention when it expects to turn a profit.

----------------

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp (GM.N) on Wednesday posted a record loss for the third quarter, reflecting a $39-billion charge related to unclaimed tax credits and a loss at its former finance subsidiary GMAC.

The largest U.S. automaker posted a net loss of $39 billion, or $68.85 per share, compared with a loss of $147 million, or 26 cents per share a year earlier.

<end quote>

Of that $39 billion, however, only a small part was really an operating loss; that same news article states:

Not much IMO, that is why the Jeep line has been so successful for so many years (60+ years).

From 2007:

General Motors reported a $39 billion third quarter loss yesterday, the largest in the company’s history. The huge loss was the result of GM taking $38.6 billion non-cash charge, indicating a higher risk of a slow turn around that could prevent the automaker from claiming expected future tax credits.

GM stated that it took the charge due to losses in the United States and Canada over the last three years, as well as Germany through the most recent quarter. The automaker also blamed the charge on “ongoing weakness” at finance company and former subsidiary GMAC.

According to Automotive News, companies are allowed to keep credit on their balance sheets to offset future tax liabilities if they are found to have overpaid past taxes. But U.S. accounting rules state that companies expecting to keep losing money cannot carry the the tax credits indefinitely, and must claim them at some point.

GM Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner said that he doesn’t expect the loss to affect the day-to-day activities at GM. “It doesn’t have any impact at all,” he said. “I would encourage people not to overreact in a negative way to it.”

GM’s losses in North America totaled $247 million last quarter — not including the charge — up from a $667 million loss the year before. “We continue to implement the key elements of our North America turnaround strategy, and these initiatives are driving steady improvement in our financial results, despite challenging North America market conditions,” Wagoner said.

GM’s 49% stake in GMAC lost the automaker a reported $757 million last quarter.

GM failed to mention when it expects to turn a profit.

----------------

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp (GM.N) on Wednesday posted a record loss for the third quarter, reflecting a $39-billion charge related to unclaimed tax credits and a loss at its former finance subsidiary GMAC.

The largest U.S. automaker posted a net loss of $39 billion, or $68.85 per share, compared with a loss of $147 million, or 26 cents per share a year earlier.

<end quote>

Of that $39 billion, however, only a small part was really an operating loss; that same news article states:

I've got one word for you

Deferred

maybe you'll figure it out, my guess is that you won't

Let me add to this: I will agree that some union workers do take advantage of situations and are lazy. However, the majority I know and respect are great, not just good, but great hard working people who earn their money. Now if some of you would like to blame the union for fair salaries and benefits you must also blame management. They agreed to each and every contract.

Way to face reality union guy.