A REAL mayorial candidate for Buffalo!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing I found a bit over the top was the removal of the 190 for waterfront parks. if anything needs to come down its the useless skyway. Sorry the 190 is a major thorough-fare to get to the downtown area for sporting events and concerts. Don't make the traffic worse.

Why? I have been saying that the Niagara section should be moved east forever on this board... Actually, I think it goes back to early studies done many decades ago... If I recall, there was a German firm that did one study.

The problem with BFLO roads is that it speeds you right buy... Fine in the early days... But, look at the abomination that the Scajaquada Expressway is through Delaware Park.

Our you familiar with Daniel Burnham's vision of Chicago??

Probably not being an Interstate, but still its the thought process there that is the concern. Putting greenspace before redevelopment?

Like I said, Daniel Burnham was really a ahead of his time.

Beginning in 1906 and published in 1909, Burnham and assistant Edward H. Bennett prepared "The Plan of Chicago", which laid out plans for the future of the city. It was the first comprehensive plan for the controlled growth of an American city, and an outgrowth of the City Beautiful movement. The plan included ambitious proposals for the lakefront and river and declared that every citizen should be within walking distance of a park. Sponsored by the Commercial Club of Chicago,[3] Burnham donated his services in hopes of furthering his own cause.

I wonder what BFLO was doing at that time? Proabably telling Henry Ford to get phucked. :devil:

Burnham was quoted as saying, "Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized." (Moore 1921) This slogan has been taken to capture the essence of Burnham's spirit.

I wonder what BFLO was doing at that time? Proabably telling Henry Ford to get phucked. :devil:

Did Ford research putting the assembly line in Buffalo? I sure don't recall that from the Buffalo history I learned as a kid.

Did Ford research putting the assembly line in Buffalo? I sure don't recall that from the Buffalo history I learned as a kid.

Yep. I believe so. Remember, BFLO was the first ALL paved city in the country and was bascially designed (hurts today) for the automobile. Even the stick in the mud city elders couldn't get it right back then... And at that time it was the WASP establishment.

A 22 year old who hasn't been in the city for 4 years? I'm sure he'll know how to get things done.

As a relative oldster--I can say this----they need NEW blood in govt in NYS as a whole.Let the young sharp guys in there. They aren't conditioned to be such losers as the guys who have been there are.

As a relative oldster--I can say this----they need NEW blood in govt in NYS as a whole.Let the young sharp guys in there. They aren't conditioned to be such losers as the guys who have been there are.

I'd agree with that. But, as he hasn't graduated from school yet, and has no real political experience, maybe a term or two in City Council is in order.

Why? I have been saying that the Niagara section should be moved east forever on this board... Actually, I think it goes back to early studies done many decades ago... If I recall, there was a German firm that did one study.

Buddy, could you spare a billion or two...

But, as he hasn't graduated from school yet, and has no real political experience, maybe a term or two in City Council is in order.

Good idea. Having no real skill set or experience, he'd fit right in with the Common Council.

I liked some of his ideas but the one about consolidating Brockport, Geneseo, et. al into a larger Buff State was a bit retarded. Not all students want to go to a massive institution. Not to mention you rob Peter to pay Paul with the concept. A better approach might be to create jobs that are attractive enough to retain college graduates in the region.

His enthusiasm should be commmended.

Yep. I believe so. Remember, BFLO was the first ALL paved city in the country and was bascially designed (hurts today) for the automobile. Even the stick in the mud city elders couldn't get it right back then... And at that time it was the WASP establishment.

Doubt seriously that Henry Ford ever had any intention of placing his original assembly line in Buffalo, or anywhere outside of Detroit for that matter. However, he did subsequently build two assembly plants here - one on Main & Rodney, replacing it with a lakefront plant on Fuhman Boulevard...

Ford Motor Co. - Buffalo, NY

Also, at that time, Buffalo already had a fairly thriving automobile manufacturing base - both Pierce Arrow Motor Car Company and Thomas Motor Company were already headquartered here in The BuffTown...

Thomas Motor Co.

Pierce Arrow

Doubt seriously that Henry Ford ever had any intention of placing his original assembly line in Buffalo, or anywhere outside of Detroit for that matter. However, he did subsequently build two assembly plants here - one on Main & Rodney, replacing it with a lakefront plant on Fuhman Boulevard...

Also, at that time, Buffalo already had a fairly thriving automobile manufacturing base - both Pierce Arrow Motor Car Company and Thomas Motor Company were already headquartered here in The BuffTown...

Thomas Motor Co.

Pierce Arrow

Good info, Sen. BTW, don't you have a candidate for Buffalo Mayor?

ya know what is amazing? i followed the link to peirce arrow and that link had another link to defunct automobile manufacturers, i never would have imagined there were so many manufacturers over the years.....what an industrious world we were....

Thomas Motor Co.

Pierce Arrow

anymore, it can't be any worse than what is already in place.

All I will say for Bryon Brown is I have never seen as many projects being started and built downtown in as long as I can remember. Obviously, the easy thing to do is completely crap on the mayor but Brown definitely is improving the downtown.

All I will say for Bryon Brown is I have never seen as many projects being started and built downtown in as long as I can remember. Obviously, the easy thing to do is completely crap on the mayor but Brown definitely is improving the downtown.

Really? Please name two. And I mean projects that were actually Byron Brown initiatives - not legacy projects started or at least conceived under the Masiello administration.

Byron Brown is a clown - a complete joke whose entire legislative legacy in the NYS Senate consist of 3 bills, 2 of which were passed into law. The sum magnitude of this massive, impressive body of legislation? Brown's proposed bills were to change the names of 3 Buffalo streets, and, of course, install new signs.

He runs one off the most 'tight-lipped', sterile, closed-door, administrations in the history of Buffalo - no one gets by his henchman Steve Casey and the recently installed security cameras outside the mayoral offices (to alert them to approaching reporters and TV news teams) - it's a virtual 'palace guard'. Brown's only concern now is not with the future of Buffalo, but to get re-elected and avoid scandal long enough to run for Louise Slaughter's congressional seat when she retires in two years.

Really? Please name two. And I mean projects that were actually Byron Brown initiatives - not legacy projects started or at least conceived under the Masiello administration.

Byron Brown is a clown - a complete joke whose entire legislative legacy in the NYS Senate consist of 3 bills, 2 of which were passed into law. The sum magnitude of this massive, impressive body of legislation? Brown's proposed bills were to change the names of 3 Buffalo streets, and, of course, intall new signs.

He runs one off the most 'tight-lipped', sterile, closed-door, administrations in the history of Buffalo - no one gets by his henchman Steve Casey and the recently installed security cameras outside the mayoral offices (to alert them to approaching reporters and TV news teams) - it's a virtual 'palace guard'. Brown's only concern now is not with the future of Buffalo, but to get re-elected and avoid scandal long enough to run for Louise Slaughter's congressional seat when she retires in two years.

Sounds alot like "The Wire".

Whats sad is the fact he's a "kid" at 22, which is also my age, even though he has an Ivy League education. Sure, he's young, but his ideas are worthwhile.

Tax breaks for for-profit art galleries and a general encouragement of Buffalo's independent arts and music community? I'm down with that. Too many bars, clubs, and venues have closed because of elderly people that can't handle loud amps. If its too loud, you're too old! (obvious joke)

All in all, this guy has a lot of good ideas and a surprising drive. Its always the ones that have the freshest ideas, the most noble intentions, and the most truthful statements that never have a shot of election.

"Like most of the City, the neighborhood had suffered from disinvestment, a massive population decline, and a horrible economy brought on by the confluence of industrial reorganization, free trade, the collapse of American manufacturing, and sprawl. The City began to represent heartbreak, lost opportunity, forgotten potential, and a sense of impossibility when trying to imagine the future."

The above is quite possibly the best summation of the past 3 generations of western new york decline Ive read since Gimpel and Shucknect's "Patchwork Nation."

Byron Brown is a clown - a complete joke whose entire legislative legacy in the NYS Senate consist of 3 bills, 2 of which were passed into law. The sum magnitude of this massive, impressive body of legislation? Brown's proposed bills were to change the names of 3 Buffalo streets, and, of course, install new signs.

...and his kids can't drive worth a sh-t.