"Up" review

I saw "Up" last night and I must say that Pixar has done it again. I am a huge fan of animation and Pixar is the quintessential computer animated movie company. I have loved almost every movie that Pixar has released, "Cars" being the one exception, and I have pleaded my case that movies like "Toy Story 2", "The Incredibles", & "Wall-E" could easily have been nominated for Best Picture, but alas the arrogant Hollywood ilk will forever see these movies as just glorified cartoons.

Getting back to "Up", this movie faced a challenge with it's main character being a 78 year-old grumpy man. How would Carl Fredrickson appeal to toy-minded little kids? I think that kids will come to love this character, even though they will end up loving Dug the dog most. I'm not going to give away the details, but the movie goes far beyond what the trailer shows. "Up" is a fun adventure story with great characters, hilarious comedy, touching drama and an all around satisfying movie experience. Another great Pixar trait is that they are more than just great at making animation, but that they have great writing and are good story tellers.

See "Up", you will not regret it.

I caught Gran Torino last night. It's rare to find a simple straightforward story told in such a funny, ironic, tragic and poignent manner. A+++.

PTR

:lol:

I caught Gran Torino last night. It's rare to find a simple straightforward story told in such a funny, ironic, tragic and poignent manner. A+++.

PTR

I watch VERY few movies. It's just not my thing,I usually fall asleep. But I thought Gran Torino was great. If anybody hasn't seen it yet,they need to. :lol:

Saw three movies today in about 12.5 hours. Started with a matinee of Angels & Demons, then this evening at the drive in with Up and Race To Witch Mountain. Up was my favorite out of the three. They were showing Terminator after Witch Mountain, but I'd already seen it last weekend.

Saw three movies today in about 12.5 hours. Started with a matinee of Angels & Demons, then this evening at the drive in with Up and Race To Witch Mountain. Up was my favorite out of the three. They were showing Terminator after Witch Mountain, but I'd already seen it last weekend.

I did'nt see Race, waiting for dvd. What did you think of A&D?

I did'nt see Race, waiting for dvd. What did you think of A&D?

Angels and Demons was basically Tom Hanks running around, while explaining the plot of the story to the audience. Contrary to what people thought, Dan Brown's stories just don't translate very well to film.

Entertaining film? Yes

Quality film? No

While I'd love to see UP!, the one movie I really want to see is Drag Me To Hell. It's getting great reviews, and it looks like a good, fun horror movie, for a change. I like Sam Raimi almost as much as I like David Cronenberg. I don't expect Drag Me to Hell to equal the genius of Videodrome, but I expect a good movie. I'll let ya know, if/when I check it out.

What did you think of A&D?

I had read the book before seeing the movie, did the same with Da Vinci. That being said, the movie was okay, not great. Not sure if someone that had not read the book before would like it, but in my opinion, there were enough changes and things left out from the book that I think was unnecessary. If they included some of what was left out, it probably would have only added about 1/2 hour to the movie.

While I'd love to see UP!, the one movie I really want to see is Drag Me To Hell. It's getting great reviews, and it looks like a good, fun horror movie, for a change. I like Sam Raimi almost as much as I like David Cronenberg. I don't expect Drag Me to Hell to equal the genius of Videodrome, but I expect a good movie. I'll let ya know, if/when I check it out.

I remember watching Videodrome as a kid. Must have been 16 years old or so. What a crazy freaking movie -- totally weirded me out. I'll never forget the scene where James Woods reaches inside his gut and pulls out a gun.

I remember watching Videodrome as a kid. Must have been 16 years old or so. What a crazy freaking movie -- totally weirded me out. I'll never forget the scene where James Woods reaches inside his gut and pulls out a gun.

If you haven't seen it since, I recommend watching it again, not that you are older, and better educated. It really is a trip.

I was studying communication, and reading some Marshall McLuhan at the time. (One of my professors was a business partner with MM, and I went with him to Toronto to meet Marshall, a couple of times.) It has some very interesting things to say, while being a very bizarre horror-film, at the same time.

If you haven't seen it since, I recommend watching it again, not that you are older, and better educated. It really is a trip.

I actually did catch some of it again not too long ago, maybe 6 months ago, but only the last 20 minutes or so. I was still pretty impressed. I think that movie was the first time I saw James Woods, and I still think he did a great job in that flick.

I actually did catch some of it again not too long ago, maybe 6 months ago, but only the last 20 minutes or so. I was still pretty impressed. I think that movie was the first time I saw James Woods, and I still think he did a great job in that flick.

I think Woods is on record as saying it is his best work.