Most underrated receivers of all time

Tcali

Steve Tasker... 'nuff said.

Ok, not 'nuff said. The guy knew how to run routes and get open. I don't know if he could have been able to play an entire year as a WR, but when he did play he was a playa!

actually, he was at WR most of 1995, starting 5 games including the two playoff games

This may be kind of a dumb response, but I'd say Andre Reed is underrated. He was a go to playmaker for one of the best offenses in NFL history for a long period of time. But, despite ending his career second in some categories only to Jerry Rice, he really isn't considered great outside of Buffalo.

People know him yes, but he's rarely considered great, which I think he fantastic WR.

not a dumb response at all...he had the stats to make him a first ballot Hall of Famer but like so many lesser WRs, he's waiting a lot longer than he should have to

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jimmy Smith of the Jacksonville Jaguars is one of the most underrated receivers of my time. I'm sure the NFL has had plenty but he's the first name I thought of.

I was going to say him too, until I realized he was a five-time Pro Bowler.

Well how do we define underrated? Second question...what era are we talking about? There's a lot of guys who haven't been mentioned simply because most of the folks here don't really remember them...they played too long ago.

Do we allow guys like Torry Holt and Jimmy Smith? Those guys have played in an awful lot of Pro Bowls. Plus they are not yet eligible for the Hall of Fame and both have a chance at it.

One guy that hasn't been mentioned yet and who I believe is underappreciated by today's NFL fans is Otis Taylor. His career started in the old AFL and he played at a time where passing/receiving stats are well below where they are now. When Taylor played teams ran about 54% of the time. These days teams pass about 54% of the time.

The only reason many fans know the name Len Dawson is because he was throwing to Otis Taylor. Taylor was 6'3" 215 pounds, fast as the wind, and a devastating blocker. He finished his career averaging nearly 18 yards per reception.

Somehow he's slipped through the cracks of the consciousness of NFL fans and is not a member of the Hall of Fame. I think that someday he'll be elected by the Senior's Committee. For those who remember him, he was an all time great player.

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/660

Sterling Sharpe - possibly the best ever had injury not shortened his career.

Sterling SHarpe was an outstanding player but on pace to be the best ever? I tend to disagree BIG TIME there.

How about Herman Moore. He was overshadowed by Barry Sanders in Detroit for good reason and well he was in Detroit but he was a great player.

4 pro bowls

3 100 plus catches

In 1995 he had 136 catches for over 1600yrds and 14TDs with Scott Mitchell at QB.

Sterling SHarpe was an outstanding player but on pace to be the best ever? I tend to disagree BIG TIME there.

How about Herman Moore. He was overshadowed by Barry Sanders in Detroit for good reason and well he was in Detroit but he was a great player.

4 pro bowls

3 100 plus catches

In 1995 he had 136 catches for over 1600yrds and 14TDs with Scott Mitchell at QB.

herman moore--good call

off the top of my head:

Rob Moore--Jet/Cardinal receiver---only had 1 truly great year when he led the NFL in receiving yards with almost 1600---other than that had lots of solid 800-1000 yard seasons

Amani Toomer---always was overshadowed by another receiver---never been to the pro bowl, even tho he racked up 5 consecutive 1000 yard seasons at one point in his career...should pass 700 receptions and 10,000 yards receiving this year...

Tony Martin---didn't do much with Miami for his first 4 years, then went to San Diego and really turned into a very good receiver---posting 6 straight years with over 880 yards receiving, including 4 over 1000 yards. Finished his career with 593 catches and over 9,000 yards---not bad for a guy that seemed like a career 3rd WR

Joey Galloway---never been to the pro bowl despite having 6 1,000 yard seasons and 2 more 900+ yard seasons. Was a true deep threat and could have been much better had he not seemingly been always injured...nearly 700 catches and almost 11,000 yards in his career...definitely not appreciated for his abilities...

Terance Mathis---started as a returner for the Jets, blossomed in his first year as a Falcon, catching 111 passes, more than he had in the previous 4 years combined. 4 1,000 yard seasons, nearly 700 catches and almost 9,000 yards...

Johnnie Morton---yes he played in a run n shoot offense in Detroit, but the guy was a pretty good player who always was overshadowed by Herman Moore---4 1,000 yard seasons, no pro bowls...

Add another vote for Sterling Sharpe, he was awesome to watch before he got injured. Could you imagine the damage him and Favre could've done if they played in their primes together

I consider Sterling Sharpe to be in the top 10 of best receivers of all time. I remember watching the guy get double and triple covered and STILL get wide open. Basically the guy was just uncoverable. Sharpe only played 7 seasons, and had 5 1,000 yard seasons, a 961 yard season and a 791 yard season. 4 seasons with double digit touchdowns, finishing with 65 for his career. 595 receptions, 8134 yards. 7 years... 3 times led the NFL in receptions for a season. Easily would have finished with 15,000+ receiving yards in his career had he not been injured....

I like the Amani Toomer pick, he was my sleeper for fantasy football for many years.

James Lofton is pretty under-rated. I was fairly young but I remember whenever there was a big catch to be made Lofton was making it. I don't ever hear anyone ever mentioning him.

Haywood Jeffires

I can't agree with this one...yes he had a few good seasons, but his best season was 100 receptions and 1181 yards...considering he was playing in a run n shoot offense with Warren Moon as his QB, not really great numbers. In fact he only had 2 seasons with more than 1,000 yards and faded pretty fast at the end of his career...