Pit Bull issues...again

I grew up with "Pit Bulls", and they are fine around little kids.

btw, what most people would see as a Pit Bull is not actually a Pit Bull.

I know, it all has to do with how they're raised. I doubt Harrison was keeping the dogs as family pets, especially when you hear they "got loose". When you have to keep a dog penned up, you are asking for trouble around kids. I'd say pit bulls would be a huge risk around kids. Sure, I have been around two pit bulls, and they were both good dogs, but I'm 6'4" and not a small child.

I saw a CNN spot the other day showing some of Vick's rescued pit bulls and the families raising them. The one owner was laughing and saying how her little kids are fine around them. M.O.R.O.N.

Without a doubt, owners contribute greatly to behavior but some dogs are just prone to more violence than others. Just like some dogs are natural retrievers. Some dogs are better swimmers. Some are better at herding. Etc. It's naive to think otherwise. If you own a violent breed and have kids, it's on you.

I doubt Harrison was keeping the dogs as family pets, especially when you hear they "got loose". When you have to keep a dog penned up, you are asking for trouble around kids.

Excellent point. If you have kids,you should ONLY keep socialized,family oriented dogs. Regardless of breed.

Well, I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.

Regardless, he doesn't play dirty.

The dude's an animal (with probably a screw loose) and plays all-out on every play; just because a pansy Cardinals special teamer expects no one will knock him to the ground, it doesn't mean that Harrison plays dirty.

He is an animal. Remember the play where he broke down is girlfriends door and pummeled her?

He is an animal. Remember the play where he broke down is girlfriends door and pummeled her?

I believe Whitner did the same thing his rookie year. Just saying, it seems like we give our own players a pass, but assume the worst of everyone else. Just because they were clown colors doesn't make them angels.

I believe Whitner did the same thing his rookie year. Just saying, it seems like we give our own players a pass, but assume the worst of everyone else. Just because they were clown colors doesn't make them angels.

Actually, I'm tired of trying to assume the best out of all these POS (Bills included).

I saw a CNN spot the other day showing some of Vick's rescued pit bulls and the families raising them. The one owner was laughing and saying how her little kids are fine around them. M.O.R.O.N.

Without a doubt, owners contribute greatly to behavior but some dogs are just prone to more violence than others. Just like some dogs are natural retrievers. Some dogs are better swimmers. Some are better at herding. Etc. It's naive to think otherwise. If you own a violent breed and have kids, it's on you.

But Pit Bulls are not a violent breed by nature. At least not towards humans. It's a rather huge misconception. They were bred for loyalty to humans and to fight other dogs. I wouldn't have a pit bull and other dogs. But, as a sole pet, pit bulls are great dogs to have, even around kids. Most problems with pit bulls and children are the dogs get too excited playing with the child and knock the kid down or something such as that. Of course, if you keep a dog in a pen and raise it to be violent towards other people and animals well I'm not sure it matters what breed you have.

As if the whole Michael Vick thing didn't wear you out, along comes an attack story involving the White House boycotting LB of the Pittsburgh Steelers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4199432

How can someone own Pit Bulls that have little kids? It's their own stupidity that brings on this kind of mishap.

Leave it to an aggy to continue stereotypes. :unsure:

But Pit Bulls are not a violent breed by nature. At least not towards humans. It's a rather huge misconception. They were bred for loyalty to humans and to fight other dogs. I wouldn't have a pit bull and other dogs. But, as a sole pet, pit bulls are great dogs to have, even around kids. Most problems with pit bulls and children are the dogs get too excited playing with the child and knock the kid down or something such as that. Of course, if you keep a dog in a pen and raise it to be violent towards other people and animals well I'm not sure it matters what breed you have.

The problem is how powerful they are if they do snap.

I agree.

What happens when that world collides with the lives of others outside the pit bull owner's family? Say with other children. The burden should still be on the violent breed owner... But, how does that happen. It seems quite the opposite, where as others have to yiled to these morons. And that is not right. I think that is the reason why people keep such in your face animals.

I agree.

What happens when that world collides with the lives of others outside the pit bull owner's family? Say with other children. The burden should still be on the violent breed owner... But, how does that happen. It seems quite the opposite, where as others have to yiled to these morons. And that is not right. I think that is the reason why people keep such in your face animals.

We aren't even sure they are pit bulls. There are about a dozen breeds that people mistake for actual pit bulls. Most of the time, the media will report it as a pit bull attack, when it is actually another breed. Pit Bulls are pretty rarely the actual breed that is involved in this kind of stuff.

http://mabbr.org/legislation4.html

I grew up with "Pit Bulls", and they are fine around little kids.

btw, what most people would see as a Pit Bull is not actually a Pit Bull.

Sorry, got to disagree. There is just no sense owning a dog like this when you have little kids. I know, I know, it is all how they are raised. The bottom line is these are fighting dogs & as incidents in the past have shown they could snap & go into attack mode in an instance. My one friend had a pitbull, claimed it was a great dog, had no problems with it. I brought my dog over there one time(pomeranian). he was on a leash I just looked at him & I could see in his eyes he was trying to eye her up & looking for a moment to attack her. That day I told my friend even though nothing happened I will never bring my dog or my son over to his house again as long as has a pitbull for a pet. Oh yeah, 2 weeks later, the dog broke lose from his leash & nearly killed his neighbors black lab. They had to put it down.

BTW, for you defenders of pitbulls, why is it that you never hear of a golden retriever attacking a little kid?

I believe Whitner did the same thing his rookie year.

She dropped the case, so it was a combination of a big misunderstanding and a police screwup. Also, his baby momma over-reacted. Everybody had a hand in this mess except Whitner.

Don't you remember?

She dropped the case, so it was a combination of a big misunderstanding and a police screwup. Also, his baby momma over-reacted. Everybody had a hand in this mess except Whitner.

Don't you remember?

You 2 stay classy!

Don't you remember?

Oh I remember. How much of it was her realizing that if Whitner is in jail, she isn't getting money? Police don't go dragging guys into jail, and booking them unless there was some evidence, and not just her yelling wolf

Sorry, got to disagree. There is just no sense owning a dog like this when you have little kids. I know, I know, it is all how they are raised. The bottom line is these are fighting dogs & as incidents in the past have shown they could snap & go into attack mode in an instance. My one friend had a pitbull, claimed it was a great dog, had no problems with it. I brought my dog over there one time(pomeranian). he was on a leash I just looked at him & I could see in his eyes he was trying to eye her up & looking for a moment to attack her. That day I told my friend even though nothing happened I will never bring my dog or my son over to his house again as long as has a pitbull for a pet. Oh yeah, 2 weeks later, the dog broke lose from his leash & nearly killed his neighbors black lab. They had to put it down.

BTW, for you defenders of pitbulls, why is it that you never hear of a golden retriever attacking a little kid?

Because the media doesn't consider it newsworthy and they don't get the "fear factor" ratings they desire. Retreivers probably bite more people than "pit bulls," but as one poster said, the results tend to be more extreme. Look at your average retreiver owner versus your average "pit bull" owner and tell me it's a breed issue and not an owner issue.