Espionage -- A Concern?

I've thought of this topic many times, so finally decided to post about it. Corporate espionage is commonplace -- companies do nearly anything and everything that they can to learn what the competition is up to such as attending user group meetings of competing software companies, gathering information from the competition's unwitting employees, or perhaps stealing financial information -- just about anything that can be gotten away with. Corporate security is big business because of all of this spy activity.

But, what about sports and football in particular? Football is also big business -- VERY big business. A LOT rides on victories. Witness Belicheat with his video camera guy stealing defensive signals against NFL rules. Teams (which are just companies, really, except not publicly-owned) will probably do just about anything that they can get away with to learn about what the opponent is up to.

Now, consider how advanced technology is today. Imagine the edge a team could have on another team if they had video tape of the other team's practice the week leading up to the game? It would be a huge advantage. Hidden cameras are nearly pin-sized today. What's to keep some unscrupulous maintenance staff member from putting a camera up in the rafters of the practice bubble and then sitting in his car in the parking lot and downloading practice video in real time and feeding them (for a price) to the competition? Or, maybe a bug in the meeting rooms?

I know this sounds far-fetched on the surface, but is it really? The technology is certainly there. There are certainly people who would be willing to do stuff like this for a payoff -- especially in hard economic times. And as long as there are Belicheats in the world, there is a market for this type of information, too.

I don't know. I just hope the Bills scan for stuff like this every now & then in their practice facility and really fully check-out staff members -- background checks and so forth. Yes, I know -- this is ultimate paranoia, but with today's technology such as it is, I think this could be a legitimate concern.

I've thought of this topic many times, so finally decided to post about it. Corporate espionage is commonplace -- companies do nearly anything and everything that they can to learn what the competition is up to such as attending user group meetings of competing software companies, gathering information from the competition's unwitting employees, or perhaps stealing financial information -- just about anything that can be gotten away with. Corporate security is big business because of all of this spy activity.

But, what about sports and football in particular? Football is also big business -- VERY big business. A LOT rides on victories. Witness Belicheat with his video camera guy stealing defensive signals against NFL rules. Teams (which are just companies, really, except not publicly-owned) will probably do just about anything that they can get away with to learn about what the opponent is up to.

Now, consider how advanced technology is today. Imagine the edge a team could have on another team if they had video tape of the other team's practice the week leading up to the game? It would be a huge advantage. Hidden cameras are nearly pin-sized today. What's to keep some unscrupulous maintenance staff member from putting a camera up in the rafters of the practice bubble and then sitting in his car in the parking lot and downloading practice video in real time and feeding them (for a price) to the competition? Or, maybe a bug in the meeting rooms?

I know this sounds far-fetched on the surface, but is it really? The technology is certainly there. There are certainly people who would be willing to do stuff like this for a payoff -- especially in hard economic times. And as long as there are Belicheats in the world, there is a market for this type of information, too.

I don't know. I just hope the Bills scan for stuff like this every now & then in their practice facility and really fully check-out staff members -- background checks and so forth. Yes, I know -- this is ultimate paranoia, but with today's technology such as it is, I think this could be a legitimate concern.

Although this is possible, it does seem paranoid. The next thing you know you'll be worried about broads sneaking peeks at our fullback's junk.

Wow, you've thought of this many times, eh? You just may be on to something with this spying stuff.......

http://www.thesportgallery.com/sport-stori...aug-nflspy.html

The Bills couldn't get anyone to witness the inner workings of D.J. or the Front Office if they sold tickets.

Believe me.

If the Bills ever caught somebody spying on them, I would say send them to Guantanamo

But since Guantanamo is closing, we can't send them to Cuba. If we can't send them to Cuba, we can still send them to the next best/worst thing - Miami

You think Belicheat* & Kraft* don't already have a fleet of surveillance satellites in low earth orbit? Why do you think the Bills practice indoors? :lol:

And even there we're not safe from NE's* cheating ways - last year Belicheat* had a section of the roof peeled off the Bills' Field House, and then blamed it on the wind! Yeah, right...

link

And what does Goodell do about it? Nothing!!! :thumbsup:

I've thought of this topic many times, so finally decided to post about it.

The wired defensive helmet, brought about thanks to Bellicheat* et al, should be scrapped.

Case in point:

CIN cut long-time RT Willie Anderson. He signed with BAL. They squared off in game #1. CIN was yet to be ripped to shreds with injuries.

Anderson didn't start. I'm watching this game, and after a few series, I say to myself, what gives? BAL is a good defensive time, sure, but snap after snap, BAL was in perfect position. Rich Gannon was doing the commentary - in the 2nd half, he opined that its' as if BAL had CIN's offensive playbook.

They did - Willie Anderson. After the game, several b'gals players were hot , feeling that ole' Willie was giving info which was instantly sent to the defensive helmet-wired guy.

The wired defensive helmet, brought about thanks to Bellicheat* et al, should be scrapped.

Case in point:

CIN cut long-time RT Willie Anderson. He signed with BAL. They squared off in game #1. CIN was yet to be ripped to shreds with injuries.

Anderson didn't start. I'm watching this game, and after a few series, I say to myself, what gives? BAL is a good defensive time, sure, but snap after snap, BAL was in perfect position. Rich Gannon was doing the commentary - in the 2nd half, he opined that its' as if BAL had CIN's offensive playbook.

They did - Willie Anderson. After the game, several b'gals players were hot , feeling that ole' Willie was giving info which was instantly sent to the defensive helmet-wired guy.

well, thats what free agency brought to the game. you cant change a 500 page playbook year after year. so there will be information available after players change teams. best way out in my opinion is to keep track on your former players and come up with a special plan for those games one of them plays against your team

Stay away from French Cinema.

The year Tampa played Oakland in the Super Bowl, I think it was Jon Gruden who said it was apparent Oakland was still using the same playbook they had when he left to take the Tampa coaching job.

Case in point:

I'd like to see the wired helmets done away with.

well, thats what free agency brought to the game. you cant change a 500 page playbook year after year. so there will be information available after players change teams. best way out in my opinion is to keep track on your former players and come up with a special plan for those games one of them plays against your team

Totally agree. I'd maintain a database that tracks every individual that ever saw the team's playbook at one time or another -- players, coaches, whoever -- and keep track of WHEN they saw the playbook, WHAT VERSION of the playbook did they see, WHERE are they now, etc. Throw the information into a database that can be easily queried and constantly be on the lookout for potential issues.

Yes, I know -- this is ultimate paranoia, but with today's technology such as it is, I think this could be a legitimate concern.

Huh? Eerily similar to my own thoughts...that Billszone mods have infultrated TSW posting mindless thread after mindless thread in an effort to drive the few remaining level headed Wallers over to their site.

Spooky...