Negative Buffalo Article from the Dunkirk observer

I can't believe how many people actually showed up to the airport on Sunday. It's ridiculous, he's just a football player, he's not some savior sent down from the heavens to save the city. I think it made Buffalo look like a bunch of idiots.

I thought the article was kind of funny. I mean come on, people waiting up on a sunday night to see TO come in. A grown man dressed up in a popcorn box. The one guy saying this is the best thing that has happened to buffalo since the invention of the chicken wing. Even Owens said he had no idea why he was getting the key to the city. It is a little over the top & it really does make us look like a city full of losers. Maybe we deserve to get mocked out after pulling crap like this. Like someone in a previous post said, "act like you have been there before".

Now Brandon - speaking for Mr. Ralph Wilson, Jr. - has more jerseys to sell, another pitch for more games up north, a cover guy for the media guide, and a seemingly endless supply of perpetual hope. If you saw the hero's welcome Terrell Owens received Sunday night, you know there's a well somewhere in the area with plenty more where that came from. The Bills are the NFL's version of AIG: the little guy continues to bail them out for years of bad bets, while the executives still rake in the benefits.

Newsflash: It doesn't take a genius to market football to western New Yorkers.

This was the only part of the article that I would agree with. The rest was just hateful venom spewed by an incredible douche bag. The title of the article was "Let's get our heads examined." Danny boy, you should be first in line.

This was the only part of the article that I would agree with. The rest was just hateful venom spewed by an incredible douche bag. The title of the article was "Let's get our heads examined." Danny boy, you should be first in line.

Dead-on right BLZ! :thumbdown:

To be fair, I'm sure they're working with bare bones over there.

So are we. So's everybody. I still have someone to proof my stuff, though -- in fact, my desk saved my butt on a piece I filed this morning, changing a date I had wrong. That's at a weekly one-fifth the size of the Observer.

Then again, they are an Ogden newspaper ... and yeah, I think I'd better stop there before I melt down TSW's profanity filter.

Dunkirk Disturber has been added to "The List" as bad. :thumbdown:

C'mon they share the same bed as the Post Urinal... the sales staff didn't sell enough space, so someone had to rattle off a few column inches... sowhatwhocares?

I can't believe how many people actually showed up to the airport on Sunday. It's ridiculous, he's just a football player, he's not some savior sent down from the heavens to save the city. I think it made Buffalo look like a bunch of idiots.

People in Buffalo got excited about their football team and the new addition? What!?! This is absorbed. :thumbdown:

Come on people ask for a big name in FA and then when it happens they complain about it. I am glad he got a good welcome in Buffalo. With that said no I don't think he is the Bills savor or our #1 receiver for that matter. I think Buffalo fans are smarter then that and know more about the game then that.

To the guy who wrote the Dunkirk article....

Bills Fans are passionate and they are not afraid to show their love for the team. When a star like TO is here, you can almost be sure it is gonna cause a mini-party where ever he shows up. And i like the guy in the popcorn box...very creative.

I wonder if the author of the article has ever been passionate about anything......

You have to be passionate about something in this crazy life. And to many people in this town the Bills are it. Some love the Sabres, Bisons even the Bandits.

My point being id rather be a Bills Fan 4 life than not have a pro football team at ALL.

I beleive people showing up to greet Owens just demonstrates how passionate Bill sfans are about football and the reason why NFL football should stay in Buffalo.

the guy who writes this article thinks people are going to look at Buffalo differently now because they showed up in the 10's to greet Owens at the airport... ?????

the whole article was written from a guy stuck in dunkirk who obviously has issues

So are we. So's everybody. I still have someone to proof my stuff, though -- in fact, my desk saved my butt on a piece I filed this morning, changing a date I had wrong. That's at a weekly one-fifth the size of the Observer.

Then again, they are an Ogden newspaper ... and yeah, I think I'd better stop there before I melt down TSW's profanity filter.

I feel your pain. But when one guy is taking calls from 13 local schools, writing capsules and designing four pages, the semi-weekly column from a correspondant falls to the bottom of the list of copy-editing priorities. I completely agree with you, but I know what it's like to be in those shoes, too.

I beleive people showing up to greet Owens just demonstrates how passionate Bill sfans are about football and the reason why NFL football should stay in Buffalo.

the guy who writes this article thinks people are going to look at Buffalo differently now because they showed up in the 10's to greet Owens at the airport... ?????

the whole article was written from a guy stuck in dunkirk who obviously has issues

The circus may be in town but Buffalonians love it. Anyone who tries to spin this negatively is a douche. The city is having fun with T.O. and so is he. So far its all good. Anyone see ESPN today? We are like the homely girl at the dance that gets attention from the most popular boy in school. We love it.

PTR

I feel your pain. But when one guy is taking calls from 13 local schools, writing capsules and designing four pages, the semi-weekly column from a correspondant falls to the bottom of the list of copy-editing priorities. I completely agree with you, but I know what it's like to be in those shoes, too.

Fair enough. I stand by my Ogden-bashing, though. They fired an SE I knew at one of their Ohio papers last November; since then, he's been stringing, trying to make ends meet -- and not getting some medical issues checked out, because he had no health insurance.

He died Sunday. 36 years old. So yeah, ^$ the beancounters at Ogden (and most other places, too).

Fair enough. I stand by my Ogden-bashing, though. They fired an SE I knew at one of their Ohio papers last November; since then, he's been stringing, trying to make ends meet -- and not getting some medical issues checked out, because he had no health insurance.

He died Sunday. 36 years old. So yeah, ^$ the beancounters at Ogden (and most other places, too).

Sort of puts a different context on "the lawn boy" comments... sorry to hear about your colleague, btw.

The circus may be in town but Buffalonians love it. Anyone who tries to spin this negatively is a douche. The city is having fun with T.O. and so is he. So far its all good. Anyone see ESPN today? We are like the homely girl at the dance that gets attention from the most popular boy in school. We love it.

PTR

yup

I thought the article was kind of funny. I mean come on, people waiting up on a sunday night to see TO come in. A grown man dressed up in a popcorn box. The one guy saying this is the best thing that has happened to buffalo since the invention of the chicken wing. Even Owens said he had no idea why he was getting the key to the city. It is a little over the top & it really does make us look like a city full of losers. Maybe we deserve to get mocked out after pulling crap like this. Like someone in a previous post said, "act like you have been there before".

Lighten up boys and girls -most of the crowd were actors hired for his reality show - which is also why the mayor gave him the key to the city - so he could have his 15 minutes of fame ( and maybe also get some votes)

PTR

I didn't see ESPN, but on NFL Network last night, Rich Eison had this smirk on his face while talking about TO at OTA's. You could just tell he wanted to ridicule TO & Buffalo & he asked Solomen Wilcots & Warren Sapp what their thoughts were. They both replied it was good for TO to be there for him & Trent to get used to each other. They both thought TO will help Buffalo win games this year. The look on Eison's face at this was too funny, he looked like the pretty boy just turned down for a dance by the hot chick so she could dance with the nice guy.

Oy, that was embarassing. Especially around these parts.

THAT was defintely embarassing. People around here going crazy for the arrival of T.O. shouldn't be thought of as an embarassment at all though, IMO. Owens is a MUCH bigger star in this league than Bledsoe was when he came to the Bills. The guy is second in league history in touchdown receptions, and is near the top in many other categories. He also caught 10 of them last season and 36 in the last 3 years, so he is obviously not very far-removed from his prime if at all. How often has this great football area had something to really get excited over in the past decade or so? Rob Johnson? Bledsoe? Lawyer Milloy? Willis McGahee? Lets just shut the hell up and embrace it! :thumbdown:

This article made me so mad. It's amazing how ignorant, uneducated people are still able to get jobs. I also wasn't aware that OTA's were mandatory, and I made sure to inform him that they are voluntary when I emailed him about his pathetic attempt at journalism.

http://www.observertoday.com/page/content..../id/523793.html

Only made you mad because for the most part, it's accurate! Too much cheerleading for a pathetic team.

Football is suppose to be fun. So is being a fan of football.

Since we have never won the big one, are we supposed to have a grimace on our face all day? I would not have gone to airport myself...But I think it is pretty cool some people did.

My guess is, this guy who wrote the article, probably stopped believing in Santa by age 4.

If being a fan was not fun, we wouldn't do it. Irrelevant article.