Playbooks

I happened across the Bills' 1994 playbook. It is simply dizzying. (Make sure to fullscreen it).

How on Earth does anyone learn where to be and what to do on any given play? Not to mention what happens if someone has to fill in at an unfamiliar position due to injury, or gets traded to a new team in the middle of the season.

No wonder some of these guys have such low wonderlic scores. They cant do analogies or pattern recognition because their heads are full.

<_<

I happened across the Bills' 1994 playbook. It is simply dizzying. (Make sure to fullscreen it).

How on Earth does anyone learn where to be and what to do on any given play? Not to mention what happens if someone has to fill in at an unfamiliar position due to injury, or gets traded to a new team in the middle of the season.

No wonder some of these guys have such low wonderlic scores. They cant do analogies or pattern recognition because their heads are full.

<_<

It's called studying and practice. You want to make millions playing a game, you learn the playbook or look for a real job.

It's called studying and practice. You want to make millions playing a game, you learn the playbook or look for a real job.

Spoken like someone NOT of 21 years of age! But I agree with you 100%. The mature ones, or maybe the really hungry ones....or, maybe, the really competent ones...figure it out. Hence the reason the Jests moved their training camp to Cortland. Shut up, work hard, focus on ONLY ONE THING, and you'll make millions of dollars.

Where do I sign up for that action?

"Crippled Inside" - John Lennon

I see no problem with learning that with an average amount of effort. I know I could do it if I needed to. You probably could, too.

These people are the best in the world at what they do and football is ALL they do. They are (supposedly) the elites.

Think about it. How do computer programmers know 3 or 4 languages? How do DBAs know all the ins and outs of SQL and database optimization? How can stone masons look at a pallet of fieldstone and envision a perfect wall? Because they LIVE it.

I have no pity for what pro football players must learn. Anyone who has a complex job and is good at it must learn a similar amount of stuff.

<_<

I read somewhere that players don't need to know everything, they listen in the huddle for certain words that pertain to just their position, then they know from that, what route to run or who to cover.

my college playbook was thin compared to this but.....

You only have to learn your position is most cases

Like someone said, the hard part is the audibles

I imagine its a bit more complicated these days with all the subs but if you get paid like these guys do and really only work 3 hours a day after a period of time you should be able to get it.

If you don't you are not serious about the game

man, can someone correct the page title from "K Gyn"?!?! makes it sound a little... you know.

Funny you mentioned that because if it had been spelled correctly I never would have found it.

In another thread, a poster mentioned an "E-gun" offense, named after Edwards. I was going to comment that I thought I remembered the K-gun was named for the tight end, not for Kelly. I googled to make sure I was remembering correctly, typoed "K-gyn" into google <_< and found the '94 playbook.

Funny you mentioned that because if it had been spelled correctly I never would have found it.

In another thread, a poster mentioned an "E-gun" offense, named after Edwards. I was going to comment that I thought I remembered the K-gun was named for the tight end, not for Kelly. I googled to make sure I was remembering correctly, typoed "K-gyn" into google <_< and found the '94 playbook.

sure thing, Assquatch. who you tryin to convince? :P

It is more about the system than the playbook. Not every play is different. Terminology is the key. It is like learning a foreign language. Sorry, it is hard to explain while writing on a key board. For example, a play may have 8 different terminology keys in it. But, each position really only needs to know one of the 8 words, except the QB, he needs to know it all. So you listen for your one key word, and that tells you for the most part what to do.

I see no problem with learning that with an average amount of effort. I know I could do it if I needed to. You probably could, too.

These people are the best in the world at what they do and football is ALL they do. They are (supposedly) the elites.

Think about it. How do computer programmers know 3 or 4 languages? How do DBAs know all the ins and outs of SQL and database optimization? How can stone masons look at a pallet of fieldstone and envision a perfect wall? Because they LIVE it.

I have no pity for what pro football players must learn. Anyone who has a complex job and is good at it must learn a similar amount of stuff.

Yeah

That E-gun reference was my creation. I was a young Bills fan during the glory years and always assumed it was for Kelly. Did you remeber correctly? What is the significance of K to the TE? Thanks to anyone who can answer this.