Carucci on the OL

Great article - I love the attitude!!!!

Carucci on Bills OL

Great read. My favorite part of the story:

"The common trait among Hangartner, Wood and Levitre is that, in addition to being highly intelligent, they're physical and play with a nastiness that should serve them well when tangling with the brute force and aggressiveness Wilfork, Jenkins, and Ferguson display on a regular basis."

SMASHMOUTH!

Agreed! Highly motivating. Certainly, we HAVE to get better vs. our division strengths.

Wow! The now constant re-design of helmets gets more creative every year. From my naive perspective, it appears they're trying to add more protection to the top of the head, probably for concussions but also -perhaps- to pad against downward force on the spine. I can't figure out the reason for the enlarged ear holes and the other air holes, though. It may be because you can no longer jam a finger in a guys' eye, now you can jam one in his ear so he can't hear the snap count.. :w00t:

Great article - I love the attitude!!!!

Carucci on Bills OL

I'll believe it when I see it. Everything is going to hinge on offensive line play with 2 rookies, 2 guys playing new positions and a free agent center. cross your fingers cuz if these guys don't perform having randy moss, jerry rice and tony gonzalez going out for passes won't matter.

I'm pretty sure that Eric Wood went to Louisville. Minor mistake by Carucci.

In Wood's final two seasons at Oregon State, he was credited with more than 180 knockdowns, which wasn't easy from the center position where he was attempting to get his 310-pound frame under defensive tackles weighing at least as much, if not more. Wood played with a simple philosophy. The moment the tackle tried to get separation on a running play, he would "dump him in the dirt." And if the tackle left his feet to try and get his hands in front of a pass, he was "going to hit the ground."

Perhaps one of you guys have some sort of connection with him and can alert him of this minor mistake.

I'll believe it when I see it. Everything is going to hinge on offensive line play with 2 rookies, 2 guys playing new positions and a free agent center. cross your fingers cuz if these guys don't perform having randy moss, jerry rice and tony gonzalez going out for passes won't matter.

yeah, definitely some big question marks, made all the worse as our QB isn't exactly durable

I can't figure out the reason for the enlarged ear holes and the other air holes, though.

I can think of 2 possible reasons:

Cooling - those helmets are uncomfortable and hot.

And to lessen the effect of having your "bell rung". If you get hit around the earhole, what I think is a combination of the plastic reverberating and the air forced into your ear disorients you somewhat (mildly dizzy). Having the extra holes might lessen the vibration and would also allow for another hole for the air to escape so as it's not so much forced into your ear.

I'll believe it when I see it.

That's my attitude with just about everything with this team. With everything they've done the past 10 years, every single position on this team needs to earn my trust.

I'm pretty sure that Eric Wood went to Louisville. Minor mistake by Carucci.

Perhaps one of you guys have some sort of connection with him and can alert him of this minor mistake.

It's correct earlier in the story. Probably thinking about the transition to Levitre, who, of course, did play at OSU. Easy enough to do.

In any case, I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.

(Add: And so it was.)

I can think of 2 possible reasons:

Cooling - those helmets are uncomfortable and hot.

And to lessen the effect of having your "bell rung". If you get hit around the earhole, what I think is a combination of the plastic reverberating and the air forced into your ear disorients you somewhat (mildly dizzy). Having the extra holes might lessen the vibration and would also allow for another hole for the air to escape so as it's not so much forced into your ear.

Hmm. Makes sense, I guess. Helmets have always been hot -even with the old one hole style. Again, I'll blindly believe thorough medical research has currently determined this design is much more user-friendly, and SAFER!

I'm glad, though, that there's an apparent goal to keep the helmet at or near it's relative original design. Some years back I saw a 'future' helmet from research that was actually a one piece extension of the shoulder pads -where the head is free to roam inside the protective shell. While undeniably safer, I was hoping they wouldn't implement it as it was so radical, the players looked like alien robots.

Very good article. Man, the progression of everyone on our offensive line, not just the two rookies but all 5 spots, is really going to be the key to the amount of success we have on the field this season. It seems as though the right mix of personell may finally be in place, now we need to pray that they learn their roles and blocking schemes and form a team out there in order to bring it all together. Anyone else think that this season is going to ride on the coaching success of Sean Kugler more than anyone else not named DJ? I hope he comes through.

Wow! The now constant re-design of helmets gets more creative every year. From my naive perspective, it appears they're trying to add more protection to the top of the head, probably for concussions but also -perhaps- to pad against downward force on the spine. I can't figure out the reason for the enlarged ear holes and the other air holes, though. It may be because you can no longer jam a finger in a guys' eye, now you can jam one in his ear so he can't hear the snap count.. :w00t:

Yeah, those helmets are the Riddell Revolutions. They're the newest ones that they have out right now (a good friend of mine sells Riddell).

http://www.riddell1.com/newsite/product_in...products_id=368

They've actually been around since 2002, but the transition to the NFL didn't happen until a couple years ago. Now just about everyone is wearing them or at least planning to wear them, right down to the Pee-Wee leagues. You're 40% less likely to suffer from concussions compared to the older ones, plus they come with inflatable neck/head supports, extensions, and basically mold right to your head. I tried one on and the cushions on the inside are made of gel and air, almost like a bicycle seat. It's a huge difference when you try on the old one and the new one. With the new ones, you can swing your head back and forth as fast as you can, and the helmet won't shift an inch.

I'd have to agree here. We may be in trouble for the first few games while they get themselves used to the positions and figuring themselves out. Let's hope they can figure out pretty quick.

The inside 3 aren't the problem. It's how Walker will do for a full season at LT and how Butler can transition to RT.

I see your point here, but it's also pretty tough to rule out two rookies and a free agent as being problems before they even play a snap together. Hope they don't prove to be an issue, though.

The inside 3 aren't the problem. It's how Walker will do for a full season at LT and how Butler can transition to RT.

Let's not forget that Wood and Levitre would be transitioning to OG too. Personally I'm worried sick about our O-line in it's status is right now. I'd feel a whole lot better if could bring in a veteran LT such as Jones or even Jennings just incase Walker/Butler struggle.

While we think we have the right players with the right attitude on this OL what bothers me is that all the 5 guys will be playing different positions including the incumbents. Do we have the right coaching staff to make sure that this line can communicate well and play their position well. I think training camp will provide the best insight to how much progress can this line make before the regular season.

Very good article. Man, the progression of everyone on our offensive line, not just the two rookies but all 5 spots, is really going to be the key to the amount of success we have on the field this season. It seems as though the right mix of personell may finally be in place, now we need to pray that they learn their roles and blocking schemes and form a team out there in order to bring it all together. Anyone else think that this season is going to ride on the coaching success of Sean Kugler more than anyone else not named DJ? I hope he comes through.

Maybe it's a good thing that they have an extra pre-season game this year!