Wendell Bryant tryout with bills

I read that Wendell Bryant had a tryout that went very good with the Bills. I know they need help with DT's with McCargo very suspsect and Hargrove's issues off the field. Do u think he can make the team and contribute. Just thought it was interesting that he was a first round pick and has stated he has cleaned up his act off the field.

I read that Wendell Bryant had a tryout that went very good with the Bills. I know they need help with DT's with McCargo very suspsect and Hargrove's issues off the field. Do u think he can make the team and contribute. Just thought it was interesting that he was a first round pick and has stated he has cleaned up his act off the field.

Mike Florio at profootballtalk.com says that Bryant, a 2002 #12 pick, has mended his ways, and :

"He realizes that, due to his behavior, he owes the Cardinals a partial refund of his signing bonus.

“I want to pay the Cardinals back the money because I didn’t give them what they deserved and they allowed me to live a great lifestyle,” Bryant said. “A man has to face his mistakes.”

Wow. We don’t know whether Bryant has anything left, but we hope that he’ll get a fair chance to fully redeem himself."

I can't believe the Bills haven't signed him already. He is the perfect Bills' type free agent - a player coming off injuries or problems.

Trade (Peters to Philly) - YES. plus a tradedown (Detroit or San Diego): NO.

15 Buffalo Brian Cushing - #15 - Houston

20 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew-#20 - Detroit.

28 Buffalo Max Unger-#49 - Seattle

42 Buffalo Ron Brace -#40 - New England

46 Buffalo Michael Johnson-#70 - Cincinnati

3 of your first 5 "Bills mock draft picks" were picked almost exactly at the spots you predicted, while the other two would have been considered reaches based on where they actually went in the draft.

That's pretty good mock drafting - I would have been happy with your top 5 picks. :devil:

I can't believe the Bills haven't signed him already. He is the perfect Bills' type free agent - a player coming off injuries or problems.

Used puck bags come cheaper than shiny ones.

Trade (Peters to Philly) - YES. plus a tradedown (Detroit or San Diego): NO.

15 Buffalo Brian Cushing - #15 - Houston

20 Buffalo Brandon Pettigrew-#20 - Detroit.

28 Buffalo Max Unger-#49 - Seattle

42 Buffalo Ron Brace -#40 - New England

46 Buffalo Michael Johnson-#70 - Cincinnati

3 of your first 5 "Bills mock draft picks" were picked almost exactly at the spots you predicted, while the other two would have been considered reaches based on where they actually went in the draft.

That's pretty good mock drafting - I would have been happy with your top 5 picks. :devil:

Thanks. I really thought we'd trade down as well as trade, but I never saw Byrd in the second. I give all credit to DraftTek. Their Big Board was pretty spot-on:

A review of their last mock shows 8 correct Round 1 picks:

2) St Louis - Jason Smith

3) Cincinnati - Andre Smith

4) Green Bay - BJ Raji

14) New Orleans - Malcolm Jenkins

15) Houston - Brian Cushing

27) Indianapolis - Donald Brown

31) Arizona - Chris Wells

32) Pittsburgh - Evander Hood

If I am correct was this guy originally a 1st round pick? If so was he a reach to get? I remember Marv trading up and reaching for McCargo and me and others as well thinking it was a bad trade. How much upside does the guy still have?

does that mean we've given up on trying to get Henderson?

If I am correct was this guy originally a 1st round pick? If so was he a reach to get? I remember Marv trading up and reaching for McCargo and me and others as well thinking it was a bad trade. How much upside does the guy still have?

Yes he was. Everyone knows that drafting DTs high in the draft is a can't-miss proposition.

This is the type of player who could come in and be an immediate impact. His problems were not his ability, it was his off the field problems. As a young guy, he thought he had it all and blew it big time. He's been out of the league for a while and cleaned up his act. He realized that living in the real world is a lot harder than playing football. If you give him a roster spot, he now has something to prove and wants to redeem himself. He'll have a big fire under his a@@ and that's what will keep him going. Worst case scenario, you bring him in, pay league minimum and cut him. Best case scenario he plays to what he was supposed to out of college and you have a starting DT who was penned to be an all-pro out of college. I say bring him in!

Is there a link to that story? I'd like to read it if you have it. :devil:

Is there a link to that story? I'd like to read it if you have it. :devil:

Not much more than what was quoted above, but here you go:

Wendell Bryant Wants Back In

... and there's also this more detailed report, including a statement that he did get a try out with the Bills a couple weeks ago ....

Bryant Wants 2nd Chance

“Now, my body feels like it’s at a point where I can still play very well,” Bryant said. ”Playing football is not something that just goes away just like that. I’m looking forward to a new opportunity and kicking some butt. I had a really good tryout with Buffalo. There’s currently no offer, but I’m hoping for a chance.”

Added Bryant’s agent, Marc Lillibridge: “He had a great workout for the Bills. They were very impressed.”

GO BILLS!

He was the #12 pick overall and Larry Felser wrote a column just before the draft suggesting the Bills should take him with the #4 selection they used on Mike Williams.

It wouldnt hurt to sign for a one year deal with conditions. It is a low risk high return possibility.

Agreed...we have two young DT's who haven't really proven anything in the NFL. Take a chance on the Mr. Wendell!!! Sign him to a 1 year (incentive laden) deal and roll the dice. Maybe he kicks McCargo in the ass a little bit!

That being said....I would love to see John Henderson lined up next to #99 this season.

Didn't this guy suck when he played ?

Yes, he was a former #1 pick. But he had 29 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 28 starts.

He is hardly an upgrade.

I'm fine if they give him a shot, but expectation levels should be very low for a guy who sucked when he has played 3 years ago.

He is hardly an upgrade.

I'm fine if they give him a shot, but expectation levels should be very low for a guy who sucked when he has played 3 years ago.

True, but if he really has top 10 talent and has a fire under his a$$, this could be a great pickup.

Who knows if it was the booze or just his talent level as to why he was not successful. But bottom line is if he is an upgrade over McCargo we should sign him.

I also would like to see us take a shot on Willie Williams, UDFA. There was a thread on him before the draft and if nothing else he should be invited for an open tryout.

True, but if he really has top 10 talent and has a fire under his a$$, this could be a great pickup.

He had top 5 talent 5 years ago and he still sucked. Bring him in to talk with Lynch and show him the road is going down. Then cut him and tell Lynch that he's next if he screws up again.

He is hardly an upgrade.

Sack totals aren't always a good quantifier for DTs. Keith Millard and Warren Sapp are the only two names to jump out at me in the top 50 of this list, and Millard began his career at DE.