No to Gay Marriage, Yes to breast implants

I'm against breast implants. You know what I do about it? I don't have a breast implant. Pretty fuc#ing simple, don't you think? But, since others getting breast implants has no impact, whatsoever, on me, I respect the right for those who believe in getting implants to have them.

If only the anti-same sex marriage folks would exercise the same humility.

Humility? It's called a personnel belief and she has every right to have that belief and not have to be shamed into some politically correct b_ll sh_t answer. Since polygamy has no impact on you whatsoever, they should be able to practice it. Right?

As you see this is not some nice and easy issue that fits squarely in a box, there are societal and generational effects to decisions such as these and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer that everyone must believe or feel shameful about if they don't.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Humility? It's called a personnel belief and she has every right to have that belief and not have to be shamed into some politically correct b_ll sh_t answer. Since polygamy has no impact on you whatsoever, they should be able to practice it. Right?

As you see this is not some nice and easy issue that fits squarely in a box, there are societal and generational effects to decisions such as these and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer that everyone must believe or feel shameful about if they don't.

Well put.

What a confused paragraph. As I have said, I think she is entitled to her opinion, and as she spoke it on national TV, she is entitled to take the backlash from those who disagree with her opinion. I defend her right to espouse her ignorant and bigoted "thoughts". But I never realized she had a right to be free from criticism.

I'm not what what the relationship is between homosexuality and polygamy, though. We allow two heterosexual people to marry and not three or more. The argument is one of the stupider of the excuses bigots like you use, in lieu of any real basis for your prejudice. At least you didn't stoop to the even worse excuses of bestiality or pedophilia.

However, should it become a real societal issue, and somehow it becomes very clear most polygamists are born that way, and are having basic rights denied, then I think we ought to consider allowing those who share that belief to practice it. I don't remember the fall of Western Civilization when Mormons were practicing polygamy.

As you see this is not some nice and easy issue that fits squarely in a box, rational effects to decisions such as these and there is no "right" or "wrong" answer that everyone must believe or feel shameful about if they don't.

No, I don't see that. It is VERY clear, and fits very nice and easily into the basic rights box.

there are societal and generational effects to decisions such as these

As I noted somewhere, earlier, in 50 years arguments like this will sound as baseless and stupid to people as the same arguments do to us (most of us, anyway), when they were used to fight: the end of slavery, women's right to vote, integration, interracial marriage...etc. You would think we might try to learn from the past, and not have to fight the same fight for every group that is a victim of ignorant prejudice, and is fighting for their rights.

For goodness sake, EVOLVE!

No, I don't see that. It is VERY clear, and fits very nice and easily into the basic rights box.

Although I was trying to stay out of this debate this time... I will say that it is very hard for me to accept the notion that something that can be this controversial stemming from a fricken Miss America pagaent can be characterized as "VERY clear" and "Fits very nice and easily into the basic rights box." If something that happened on the Miss America show concerning gay marriage, an event that I'm guessing very few people actually care about, created a national controversy, I think it's foolish to say that it is a clear, easy issue. Apparently, no matter how strongly you feel for either side, it's not.

I think the above poster does have a point. Reproductive and gay rights are tremendously divisive issues, yet, to this poster, they all deal with self-regarding acts. How does a girl getting an abortion or marrying her lover of the same gender affect anyone not involved with those decisions? Seriously, why can't gay people be just as miserable as the rest of us? You wanna live with the same person for the rest of your life, more power to you. I am a child of a very ugly divorce, and can't help but look at a 60% divorce rate in our country. Who the hell are we to give of some sanctimonious false-superiority over people that don't share our same "values." The American nuclear family system is entirely broken, yet the people espousing the value of the family unit completely neglect the fact that single mothers can be GREAT parents, that there is absolutely no quantifiable data to support the belief that gay people can't be loving parents either. Sure, I'm a 22 year old "bleeding-heart" because I want everyone to be happy in their situation.

The same people violently against gay marriage were those picketing schools in the '50's because racial segregation was "God's plan" and the "American way." One way or another, folks, there WILL be a landmark Supreme Court decision on this issue within the next 10 years. It'll go down as another Brown v Board. And quite frankly, I think its entirely necessary.

This whole story is kinda ridiculous. This smoking hot chick is just getting exactly what she wants, attention. Is it fair for liberals to criticize her answering the question honestly? No. She was in a beauty pageant after all. If she really wanted to win, she could of given the safe, "pageant" answer. But she answered the question and I respect that.

I think when it comes down to it, we all gotta chill out on these "culture war" issues. What worries me about America? 50 million people without health insurance. 60% divorce rate. Suburban sprawl and the unending fear of inner-city schooling and urban culture. (and yes, I was raised in the suburbs and am writing this thanks to a good education) Trillions of dollars in credit card debt. Massive obesity problem in this country. The illiteracy rate is rising. The sickening and disheartening celebrity/twitter/facebook/reality tv self-importance obsession. Yet, all the talking heads are dropping takes on gay marriage and abortion. Fix the problems and let people live their lives.

What a confused paragraph. As I have said, I think she is entitled to her opinion, and as she spoke it on national TV, she is entitled to take the backlash from those who disagree with her opinion. I defend her right to espouse her ignorant and bigoted "thoughts". But I never realized she had a right to be free from criticism.

I'm not what what the relationship is between homosexuality and polygamy, though. We allow two heterosexual people to marry and not three or more. The argument is one of the stupider of the excuses bigots like you use, in lieu of any real basis for your prejudice. At least you didn't stoop to the even worse excuses of bestiality or pedophilia.

However, should it become a real societal issue, and somehow it becomes very clear most polygamists are born that way, and are having basic rights denied, then I think we ought to consider allowing those who share that belief to practice it. I don't remember the fall of Western Civilization when Mormons were practicing polygamy.

As I noted somewhere, earlier, in 50 years arguments like this will sound as baseless and stupid to people as the same arguments do to us (most of us, anyway), when they were used to fight: the end of slavery, women's right to vote, integration, interracial marriage...etc. You would think we might try to learn from the past, and not have to fight the same fight for every group that is a victim of ignorant prejudice, and is fighting for their rights.

For goodness sake, EVOLVE!

The name calling isn't called for Dean. I can see you're somewhat torn on the polygamy issue. I can tell that you think it's weird for a person to have multiple spouses but don't have that same problem with same gender marriages. You sounded a little bigoted there for a moment. If you're going to open the marriage rights for one group you should in fact open it up for all groups.

I admit I have a hard time with this issue. I see that there are valid points on both sides. But if pressed, I believe that children today are confused enough as it is and that the laws of marriage should remain as is with legal unions rights being granted to same sex couples but not legal marriages. It's a tough issue for me, but if you are going to grant those rights for same sex couples then it should be extended for polygamous couples also. Could I evolve and change my opinion? Perhaps. Other countries have had this blanket right for a long time so I'm curious what the causes and effects were on the institution of marriage in those places. But I've got to tell you, the name calling isn't going to help your cause Dean. In the end, I think that the states should be the ones who should have the final decision on granting the legalities of marriage in this country.

She has every right to her opinion. And everyone else has every right to criticize her for her opinion. If you want to complain about anything, complain about the pageant organizers giving someone like perez hilton a chance to ask questions. What kind of question did they think he was going to ask?

People give celebs sh-- all the time for their opinions. She's no different.

http://www.cbs8.com/Global/story.asp?S=10290052

Miss California's statements against gay marriage placed her firmly at the center of a heated debate. Now there's a new controversy surrounding San Diego native Carrie Prejean. The Miss California Organization has confirmed it paid for Prejean's breast implants six weeks before the Miss USA pageant.

California is certainly an interesting state....

Aside from her opinions on same-sex marriage, I found it interesting that "The Miss California Organization has confirmed it paid for Prejean's breast implants six weeks before the Miss USA pageant."

I guess I was too naive in believing that participants at such competitions are supposed to be all-natural. Not only that, but this organization actually paid for her implants ! I read somewhere else that the organization says it did that to ensure her self-image is enhanced before the event. I truly truly dislike this propagation of the idea that a shapely body is a prime enhancer of self-confidence.

One thing I want to add to this debate on gay marriage was an incident that happened before election day. I live in California and voted on Proposition 8, the proposition on banning gay marriage.

First let me say that I believe gay people should have the same rights as every american citizen. For example I think a gay couple should be allowed to buy real estate, take out a loan, put each other on their taxes etc. I also have no qualm over a gay couple adopting children. Now I do believe that children should be raised by a man and a woman, but there are plenty of straight couples that do not deserve to have children.

Having said all of that I voted Yes on Proposition 8. I do believe that the union of marriage is meant for a man and a woman. I believe in the religious aspect of it, and that it is also a part of the natural order. As for gay couples, I believe that civil unions should be allowed and should provide gay couples with the same rights as straight couples.

Getting back to the incident I was involved in. It was about 2 weeks before election day, and there was a big rally for the "Yes on 8" and "No on 8" campaigners. There was a lot of tension between both sides to say the least. I was there and I was gathering opinions from both sides. Finally I approached one person who was against proposition 8 and I wanted to share my opinion with him and get his opinion as well. We had a good long conversation on the subject and we presented each other's case, without yelling or getting personal. Towards the end he told me something that surprised me. He told me that "Everyone who votes Yes on 8, hates gay people. I was very taken aback by his comment. I asked him if that included me, and he said to me "Yes". I told him that I was sorry he felt that way, and I did'nt know what else to tell him. Saying that everyone in California who would vote "Yes" on 8, because they hate gay people was a very extreme and ignorant point of view.

I think that people have to realize that there is plenty of ignorance on both sides of this issue.

People are just getting pissy because she gave her opinion on a very controversial subject. What did you expect?? She was put in a horrible position, no matter what.

But who cares about implants? The State of California should be in trouble and catching heat, not this girl. Any girl would take implants if you offered them.

Towards the end he told me something that surprised me. He told me that "Everyone who votes Yes on 8, hates gay people. I was very taken aback by his comment. I asked him if that included me, and he said to me "Yes". I told him that I was sorry he felt that way, and I did'nt know what else to tell him. Saying that everyone in California who would vote "Yes" on 8, because they hate gay people was a very extreme and ignorant point of view.

I think that people have to realize that there is plenty of ignorance on both sides of this issue.

Well according to The Dean you are a bigot as well. Me too I suppose, but I really do not care what he thinks. I know you, and what kind of person you are and that's why I read your post.

I was cruising into the Apple Store in Palo Alto last Friday and some redhead was standing outside with a clipboard. As I cruise past her she asks if I would like to sign a petition to overturn Prop. 8. I told her no thanks and good luck. It cracks me up that these people will not stop. Jerry Brown will not stop. I don't get it.

Call it anything BUT marriage and you get my vote, as it's just that simple. What do I know though, I'm just another bigot...

It might seem that way, but I assure you it is not.

It's not "might", you are just as bigoted as the people you decry bigots. She said something more "tolerant" than you have, namely she thinks America is a big tent, but not for marriage. You are saying her vision, because she doesn't agree with you, is bigotry. Not only is that hypocritical, it's not thought out at all. Are believing in principles based on religious beliefs that also agree with natural law bigotry?

If a mathematician protested 2+2=6 would that be close-minded bigotry? Without realizing it, you would, but would exempt the mathematician. Close mindedness to concepts and objective law is a good thing when you attach to a principle.

The problem is you lack a principle and base your vision on emotions because it feels like bigotry. A bigot is essentially someone against a group for lack of cause. Homosexuality is not a person or personage. Homosexuality does not belong to the person as does race, it is an action. If you equate bigotry with intolerance than what the hell do you think you are doing other than giving a lesson in hypocrisy?

Remember, nobody is suggesting this woman shouldn't be able to speak her mind.

According to your logic you are saying your bigoted view of her bigotry is what you believe should not represent your nation? Having a principled stance on moral grounds, especially with good reason, is exactly who I would want to represent me (and I would never want Ms. Anyone to represent me anyway). Your views are illogical and hypocrisy. But if it makes you feel better scream some more PC platitudes to the masses while pretending your sanctimonious position is the true position.

At least I make no pretensions and would go much further than Ms. California saying it is intrinsically disordered and a scourge on the nation, and those who defend it under the pretext of labels are intellectual cowards and weak of mind for not arguing principles.

Fair enough?

In my world, I don't have a problem with breast implants or gay marriage.

The only lesbians in my world are hot. If they have big fake cans, who am I to argue.

If a heterosexual woman wants bigger cans, who am I to argue.

If to dudes want to hook up and leave more women with big cans who want to make out with each other for the rest of us, who am I to argue.

In my world, I don't have a problem with breast implants or gay marriage.

The only lesbians in my world are hot. If they have big fake cans, who am I to argue.

If a heterosexual woman wants bigger cans, who am I to argue.

If to dudes want to hook up and leave more women with big cans who want to make out with each other for the rest of us, who am I to argue.

Well played...