Michael Gaines Released

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/29/...-cut-tight-end/

Five days removed from drafting Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew in the first round with the 20th overall pick, the Detroit Lions have cut tight end Michael Gaines, Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports.

Just a year ago, Gaines, a former Carolina Panthers seventh-round draft pick, had signed a four-year, $10 million contract with the Lions.

Regarded as a blocking tight end, Gaines became obsolete with Pettigrew’s arrival, which gives the Lions six tight ends on the roster currently.

This latest subtraction follows the Lions releasing quarterback Drew Henson earlier this week following the selection of University of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford with the No. 1 overall pick of the draft.

Perhaps we can get him back and use him as our blocking TE this year?

Absolutely! Gaines would be worth more to us than Schouman IMO, because Nelson will fill Schouman's potential role better than he could have. Gaines would be a welcome pickup, he's supposed to be a good blocker, but wasn't a bad receiver by any means...he was pretty shifty after the catch for a guy his size.

I'm not one for putting the band back together again usually-

but Gaines IS a better blocker than any TE on our roster and was an asset on special teams.

Last year, Gaines signed a four-year free-agent contract with the Lions, worth a reported $10 million ($3 million guaranteed) The Bills did try to sign him before he left for the Lions in free agency, so maybe there might be some interest again.

His illusions of being a complete starting tight end might be over, and he could settle into a nice complementary role here with the Bills.

He likely cost us that Browns game in Cleveland if I recall. Why would we want to re-sign a guy who wasn't even a starter at a position which at the time was the weakest on our entire squad?

Fine is Fine, Nelson is the future and Schouman is now the official tight end "lunch-pail" guy. Gaines would be camp fodder.

He was to blame for that to be sure (despite Donte not getting there either) but that was his first game here, as he was signed a few days prior. I'm not advocating tossing him a pass on 4th and 29, I'm just saying he'd be a good option as a pure blocking TE to keep the LT and by extension Trent upright.

I liked Gaines a lot. ... kinda on par with Bryan Scott, though I'd take Scott over Gaines.

I'd hate to see Schouman be the odd man out, though. He can play in the NFL, and damn, that Boise State season was a rush. That kind of heart has got to be worth something.

it's not like Gaines left cos he wasn't getting a starting role here.. he left for the moolah..

i'd take Schouman and his heart any time over someone like Gaines and his marginally better 'talent'

Dump the fullback- Fine, Nelson, Gains can be the inline TEs , Schouman and Travis McCall can be the H-backs

EXACTLY! This is an idea I pointed out before the draft. But I'll change up the lineup and have Gaines as the inline TE with Nelson being an H-back with Fine and Schouman as backups. If Nelson could block on the move or just get in the way on running plays then we might have someting as he would be a hard matchup for the pass defense ala Dallas Clark, especially if he splits out wide. If teams decide that they want to defend the run and match a LB on him then he should win that matchup; especially with both Lee and TO on the outside. If teams go to the nickle then he should be able to handle blocking a DB in the run game. If our O-line could run block then this personell grouping could be our base offense and gives us an offensive identity - something we haven't had since the K-gun days!