Bruce Smith and Maybin

I looked up Bruce's size-he was 6'4" and weighed 280lbs. Is that right? After seeing pictures of Maybin at close to 250lbs, he looked about as big as he is going to get and still maintain his speed like Dwight Freeney. Does anyone think Maybin can hit 280lbs?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin won't need to be 280 lbs, as he isn't going to be a DE in a 3-4 system. Those guys are generally bigger as they are supposed to take up blockers. The reason Bruce was so good at getting to the QB was because he was such a technician.

I looked up Bruce's size-he was 6'4" and weighed 280lbs. Is that right? After seeing pictures of Maybin at close to 250lbs, he looked about as big as he is going to get and still maintain his speed like Dwight Freeney. Does anyone think Maybin can hit 280lbs?

No way.

That is a weakpoint of the front office. They don't seem to understand that certain body types are "locked in" and what you see is what you get. The missed with Hardy in much the same way. He is always going to be a lanky, off balanced, not strong enough in the right places...WR.

Maybin has amazing north/south quickness and can change direction that way. He is poor in his lateral movement however and because of his size issues, he really does look to be a one trick pony of rushing the passer. The Bills see Maybin and think Jason Taylor.....problem is there is only one Jason Taylor in the league to have major success. If anything, with Maybin's frame it would be easier for him to play at 230 at OLB......but it looks like they see a DE.

Orakpo is built like Bruce Smith.....a thing of beauty. With those 2 on the board...I think they made a major mistake. The knocks against him were that he doesn't give 100% all of the time and that Texas doesn't get pro players. Well....to me that is all the more reason to take him. If he was that good on pure talent alone....and he is built like an A+ athlete.....you can say he has upside as well....and will have a much better chance to be an all around player against the run and the pass.

1. No Bruce never played at that weight.

2. Don't be stupid and compare the two ever, ever again. They aren't the same kind of players and they never will be. Stop thinking with your brain stem.

Bruce was closer to 300 than 280 when he started. Then he decided to dedicate himself to conditioning. These are not the same types of De's to even compare as has been stated. Maybin at his best possible outcome could translate to a Jason Taylor/ Jevon Kearse type player.

...certain body types are "locked in" and what you see is what you get.

I wish I could "lock in" my body type. I don't need to be adding any more bulk to this frame.

We'll see if Maybin can make the grade when he gets on the field. I will be glad when the season starts and we don't have to hear about body types and what is the ideal build for whatever position. We'll have a much better measuring stick: who can make plays!

No way.

That is a weakpoint of the front office. They don't seem to understand that certain body types are "locked in" and what you see is what you get. The missed with Hardy in much the same way. He is always going to be a lanky, off balanced, not strong enough in the right places...WR.

Maybin has amazing north/south quickness and can change direction that way. He is poor in his lateral movement however and because of his size issues, he really does look to be a one trick pony of rushing the passer. The Bills see Maybin and think Jason Taylor.....problem is there is only one Jason Taylor in the league to have major success. If anything, with Maybin's frame it would be easier for him to play at 230 at OLB......but it looks like they see a DE.

Orakpo is built like Bruce Smith.....a thing of beauty. With those 2 on the board...I think they made a major mistake. The knocks against him were that he doesn't give 100% all of the time and that Texas doesn't get pro players. Well....to me that is all the more reason to take him. If he was that good on pure talent alone....and he is built like an A+ athlete.....you can say he has upside as well....and will have a much better chance to be an all around player against the run and the pass.

Gee, what a shame that the FO didn't call you before the draft. All those guys that study the tapes and observe and travel all year and don't know anything....tsk tsk tsk!

Maybe, just maybe, Hardy with his 6'6" frame could put on more than 218 IF it was necessary, and Maybin at 6'4" almost CERTAINLY can sustain more than the 248 he's credited with now. The guy is very lean now, man. And the 230 you mentioned.... pretty redicules!

Maybin won't need to be 280 lbs, as he isn't going to be a DE in a 3-4 system. Those guys are generally bigger as they are supposed to take up blockers. The reason Bruce was so good at getting to the QB was because he was such a technician.

Bruce may have gotten up to 280 early in his career, but in his peak he played at 263 or thereabouts.

Bruce played as little as 262 lbs when he played for Buffalo and that was in a 3-4 defense.

I personally do not believe that Maybin needs to bulk up and I hope that the Bills do not push that on him. He is very close in size with Jason Taylor. And we know how Jason Taylors career has gone.

1. No Bruce never played at that weight.

2. Don't be stupid and compare the two ever, ever again. They aren't the same kind of players and they never will be. Stop thinking with your brain stem.

lots of good replies in this thread.

and a bad one "locked in"

Bruce was a good technician, but his first step had everything to do with the mans game. There was alot of times he was in the backfield and you could have sworn he was offside, but he just made everyone else look like they where standing still. Oh the memories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gte5RPziaIU

I think of Strahan when I look at Maybin in a way. He is 6'5" and Strahan played his best football at about 255-260lbs. Maybin is only a few pounds away from that, if not there already. The key will be his playing strength, use of leverage, play recognition, and using proper technique. Strahan had an excellent variety of moves that he used to perfection. He was probably the best at getting leverage against the opposing lineman and then having his way with the guy. Hopefully Maybin can be effective in the same manner :thumbsup:

I think of Strahan when I look at Maybin in a way. He is 6'5" and Strahan played his best football at about 255-260lbs. Maybin is only a few pounds away from that, if not there already. The key will be his playing strength, use of leverage, play recognition, and using proper technique. Strahan had an excellent variety of moves that he used to perfection. He was probably the best at getting leverage against the opposing lineman and then having his way with the guy. Hopefully Maybin can be effective in the same manner :thumbsup:

You realize Maybin has never played a football game at a weight of over 234 lbs., right??

You realize Maybin has never played a football game at a weight of over 234 lbs., right??

Yes. It's called "hope" my friend. They have similar body types. I'm just hoping that Maybin can be coached into being a player like Strahan. Maybin is already up to like 250lbs+ right now. Strahan played LE and RE never having a problem, despite playing at 255lbs, because he used a blend of quickness, strength, and leverage to wreak havoc. If Maybin can get the technique down and use leverage to his favor we're in excellent shape. :thumbsup:

thanks for calling that out. we need to see if this dude can play at 250 let alone 260. adding weight and maintaining skill set is much more difficult than people seem to think.

as for the freeney comparison-they are two completely different body types (6"1-261)---and he is faster than maybin.

telling you all-maybin is built like shoebel. that is what you are getting if maybin plays to peak (which isnt really a bad thing).