Ashton Youboty

Guest dog14787

Guest dog14787

I never really understood everything that was involved with a developing CB until I started scrutinizing Jabari Greer as a rookie a few years back. In Jabari's first year during preseason I happened to notice all the mistakes he was making, missing tackles, horrible coverage and he just plain looked lost out on the field. If a big play was made by the opposition, Greer was more often then not, right in the middle of it and I thought to myself, this guy is a joke.

So I would post bad things about Jabari right here on TSW and I would really lay it on thick as I'm sure most of you guys are well aware I have a tendency to do. I was on him like stink on doggie pooh and poor Greer couldn't make one wrong move without me posting about it. Right from the get go I had folks defending Jabari, some had seen him in person and recognized his athleticism , others just knew better than to start calling out a rookie CB in his first year, but I didn't know any better so I became Jabari's worst nightmare here on TSW, boy was I ever wrong.

Jabari Greer taught me allot about developing CB's , I watched Greer grow up right before my eyes and believe me, I was watching every move he made. His pass coverage started to improve, his tackling improved and with each step forward , his confidence grew and he got better and better and better until one day I realized just how wrong I was about this young fella. I learned a valuable lesson about Jabari Greer and Rookie CB's in general and from that day forward I had a new found respect for CB's in the National Football League.

So now in honor of Jabari Greer I will pick out a CB from our team every year and even though the going may have been rough because of injuries, or he hasn't performed up to expectations yet, I'm going to find something good to say about him in show of support for the hard work and effort he puts in to help our football team.

What impresses me the most about Ashton Youboty is his physical, in your face presence. The lanky fella reminds me of an octopus and he plays like one. When I first started watching Youboty he seemed kind of clumsy, almost goofy looking, but the more I watched him I realized he really draped all over the person he's defending, and when it came to tackling, Youboty's octopus like arms once locked on to their pray, you're done because you cannot shake him.

So going into training camp with allot of new competition, I just wanted to extend my vote of confidence to someone I feel is going to have a big impact this year and let him know his hard work and perseverance has not gone unnoticed.

Ashton Youboty, its time to shake your booty. :thumbsup:

I think we have a great DB coach in George Catavolos, like April he's one of the bright spots we have in the coaching staff. With Kollar gone, I hope Bob Sanders becomes a good teacher and communicator to his players.

First we develop Winfield , then Clements, then Greer and we lsoe them for nothing then have to re-draft new guys that we can then train and develop and then leave. Drives me crazy. Not even mentioning Leohnard.

Its not that simple...Antoine Winfield got what was a rediculous contract at that time for a DB who had showed much less in being a defensive playmaker than he had as a great tackler for the position. He had been good for us, but his lack of ball skills (INTS) didnt warrant the contract he got. I will say, of all the guys though, he was the one I liked the best and wanted to keep, but he was over paid. He did however live up to his contract as he got better IMO.

Clements got a contract he will never live up to. He was a better playmaker but not as complete as Winfield is IMO, and his contract was comical. He wouldnt be worth that same contract in todays market as its so absurd.

Greer was the victim of circumstance. Unfortunately, he didnt step into his own until we already had Leodis. Last year was the first year Greer really proved he is a starter in this league, but it was too late. We already had a first round pick and a lot of money in Leodis who really started to show he is going to be a very good player in this league.

People keep talking like we intentionally let the DB's walk, but when a player wants more money than he warrants at the time, the FO (who knows the player a lot more than we do) has to decide is he worth overpaying. Why do you think the Titans let Haynesworth go...because his contract was absurd.

One player doesnt make a team great, and if you keep over paying for players you will lose 2 or 3 good players at other postions. The Pats and Steelers are perfect examples...they never over pay so they can keep a much more balanced team. And its no coincidence they keep winning SB's...same with Parcell teams...you dont see him throwing stupid money at players either...

I am very confident the FO will extend McGee and we will have a very good set of CB's for the next few years at least.

Youboty does look promising too, add in Corner and Cary and I think we have the makings a very good and young core of CB's.

I salute you for your honesty and humble character. Very refreshing on these boards. With that said, I have watched Youboty his SR year in college and every year in the NFL and each year he has only gotten better a little bit but better none the less. His injury slowed down his playing time but man can he lay the lumber, and this year I think he will be in the running for #3 if not #2. Lets see what happens.

I never really understood everything that was involved with a developing CB until I started scrutinizing Jabari Greer as a rookie. In Jabari's first year during preseason I happened to notice all the mistakes he was making, missing tackles, horrible coverage and he just plain looked lost out on the field. If a big play was made by the opposition, Greer was more often then not, right in the middle of it and I thought to myself, this guy is a joke.

So I would post bad things about Jabari right here on TSW and I would really lay it on thick as I'm sure most of you guys are well aware I have a tendency to do. I was on him like stink on doggie pooh and poor Greer couldn't make one wrong move without me posting about it. Right from the get go I had folks defending Jabari, some had seen him in person and recognized his athleticism , others just knew better than to start calling out a rookie CB in his first year, but I didn't know any better so I became Jabari's worst nightmare here on TSW, boy was I ever wrong.

Jabari Greer taught me allot about developing CB's , I watched Greer grow up right before my eyes and believe me, I was watching every move he made. His pass coverage started to improve, his tackling improved and with each step forward , his confidence grew and he got better and better and better until one day I realized just how wrong I was about this young fella. I learned a valuable lesson about Jabari Greer and Rookie CB's in general and from that day forward I had a new found respect for CB's in the National Football League.

So now in honor of Jabari Greer I will pick out a CB from our team every year and even though the going may have been rough because of injuries, or he hasn't performed up to expectations yet, I'm going to find something good to say about him in show of support for the hard work and effort he puts in to help our football team.

What impresses me the most about Ashton Youboty is his physical, in your face presence. The lanky fella reminds me of an octopus and he plays like one. When I first started watching Youboty he seemed kind of clumsy, almost goofy looking, but the more I watched him I realized he really draped all over the person he's defending, and when it came to tackling, Youboty's octopus like arms once locked on to their pray, you're done because you cannot shake him.

So going into training camp with allot of new competition, I just wanted to extend my vote of confidence to someone I feel is going to have a big impact this year and let him know his hard work and perseverance has not gone unnoticed.

Ashton Youboty, its time to shake your booty. :)

Simply an awesome post!

I salute you for your honesty and humble character. Very refreshing on these boards. With that said, I have watched Youboty his SR year in college and every year in the NFL and each year he has only gotten better a little bit but better none the less. His injury slowed down his playing time but man can he lay the lumber, and this year I think he will be in the running for #3 if not #2. Lets see what happens.

I am, and have been, a big Youboty fan based on his play, and upside. The problem has been, for a variety of reasons, Ashton can't get on the field, and stay on the field, for long stretches of time.

I have heard the coaches are very frustrated by this (even though they have been part of the problem, at times) and may not be as sold on Youboty as you and I. The Bills have had their share of injuries to the DBs the past couple of years, and even though they seem to have great depth there, they had a DB mini-crisis last season, when McGee and Greer were out at the same time.

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Youboty cut this year, if he has any more physical hiccups, and misses time in camp or the preseason. I think this is part of the strategy in picking CBs late in this year's draft. I'm guessing the level of competition will be elevated this year for many positions, DBs included.

I am, and have been, a big Youboty fan based on his play, and upside. The problem has been, for a variety of reasons, Ashton can't get on the field, and stay on the field, for long stretches of time.

I have heard the coaches are very frustrated by this (even though they have been part of the problem, at times) and may not be as sold on Youboty as you and I. The Bills have had their share of injuries to the DBs the past couple of years, and even though they seem to have great depth there, they had a DB mini-crisis last season, when McGee and Greer were out at the same time.

I wouldn't be totally surprised to see Youboty cut this year, if he has any more physical hiccups, and misses time in camp or the preseason. I think this is part of the strategy in picking CBs late in this year's draft. I'm guessing the level of competition will be elevated this year for many positions, DBs included.

That would be somewhat understandable but still suck because his play on the filed was so surprisingly good last year.

Guest dog14787

Thanks for the compliments guys, but it sure helps when I'm posting about a couple of class acts like Ashton Youboty and Jabari Greer.

Greer was the victim of circumstance. Unfortunately, he didnt step into his own until we already had Leodis. Last year was the first year Greer really proved he is a starter in this league, but it was too late. We already had a first round pick and a lot of money in Leodis who really started to show he is going to be a very good player in this league.

People keep talking like we intentionally let the DB's walk, but when a player wants more money than he warrants at the time, the FO (who knows the player a lot more than we do) has to decide is he worth overpaying. Why do you think the Titans let Haynesworth go...because his contract was absurd.

One player doesnt make a team great, and if you keep over paying for players you will lose 2 or 3 good players at other postions. The Pats and Steelers are perfect examples...they never over pay so they can keep a much more balanced team. And its no coincidence they keep winning SB's...same with Parcell teams...you dont see him throwing stupid money at players either...

I am very confident the FO will extend McGee and we will have a very good set of CB's for the next few years at least.

Im a fan of the origional post. IMO Youboty reminds me alot of Winfield. I think he is an absolute moster with the tackling aspect of his game. It remains to be seen about his ballhawk skills IMO. I wish him the best of luck with his health this year and believe that he can become as good as Greer or better if he can stay healthy.

Alpha,

I love the post about why we let Greer go, and how that translates on teams like the Pats, and Steelers. This is very true IMO. Which is also the reason why I was so for Peters being traded. Very nice post.

I dont feel confident that the FO will lock up McGee though. I was a supporter of sign Greer and put McGee on the trading block because I feel that McGee will most likely cost us more than Greer would have. Not to mention that he is 2 or 3 years older than Greer. I really think this is why all the corners have been drafted in the laters rounds in the past 2 years. Look for McKelvin and Corner/Youboty/Harris/Byrd/Lankster to be starting that spot w/in the next 2 years.

First we develop Winfield , then Clements, then Greer and we lsoe them for nothing then have to re-draft new guys that we can then train and develop and then leave. Drives me crazy. Not even mentioning Leohnard.

:) me too. No wonder we draft so many DB's every year! Lets sign our own. I have a feeling we let McGee walk after this year :lol:

:) me too. No wonder we draft so many DB's every year! Lets sign our own. I have a feeling we let McGee walk after this year :lol:

Do we really want McGee if hes going to want more money than Greer? Dont forget he will be 30 or 31 by the end of next season. Im all for signing players that can produce. But thats getting kinda old for a DB who relies on his speed so much. Who knows, maybe this year he shows he doesnt lose a step. At the same time maybe this year we show that Corner or Youboty can step up and challange for a starting role.

Its not that simple...Antoine Winfield got what was a rediculous contract at that time for a DB who had showed much less in being a defensive playmaker than he had as a great tackler for the position. He had been good for us, but his lack of ball skills (INTS) didnt warrant the contract he got. I will say, of all the guys though, he was the one I liked the best and wanted to keep, but he was over paid. He did however live up to his contract as he got better IMO.

Clements got a contract he will never live up to. He was a better playmaker but not as complete as Winfield is IMO, and his contract was comical. He wouldnt be worth that same contract in todays market as its so absurd.

Yes as Alphadawg argues, each case was different. It's easy to add them up to make an argument but I agree with Alpha that it's not quite that simple. I would also add that sometimes we've extended guys already under contract to preempt losing them at the end of their contracts. Without naming the big elephant who left the room for Philly, we've extended Kelsay, Schobel, Brad Butler, and Kyle Williams just to "lock them up." This strategy also can backfire when that player doesn't play up to their new contract extension.

Simply an awesome post!
Nice post dog...

I hope and pray he stays healthy this year because I think he, as you mentioned tackles very well and I think he's got what it takes to play and play well. Go Youboty and Go Bills.

Thanks for the compliments guys, but it sure helps when I'm posting about a couple of class acts like Ashton Youboty and Jabari Greer.

I hate when the discussion gets too warm and fuzzy, especially when it's someone else getting the love. :)

Winfield was a liability in coverage. Not his fault he was 5'8", but good luck going up against 6'4"+ WR's.

Man, a cornerback (Leonidas) calling out another cornerback on his coverage skills. :lol: Seriously though, this is the first time I've seen anyone cast aspersions on Winfield's coverage skills. Yes he's known as a great run defender but he's also considered an excellent cover man in spite of his lack of height. Being short is a detriment in football but I wouldn't paint Antoine with that brush. I have few if any memories of his height being exploited.

Man, a cornerback (Leonidas) calling out another cornerback on his coverage skills. :) Seriously though, this is the first time I've seen anyone cast aspersions on Winfield's coverage skills. Yes he's known as a great run defender but he's also considered an excellent cover man in spite of his lack of height. Being short is a detriment in football but I wouldn't paint Antoine with that brush. I have few if any memories of his height being exploited.

Winfield has always been a terrific one-on-one cover corner. He is one (or at least was) of the NFL's best "on an island" corners. The only negative rap on Winfield is his lack of ball skills, when it comes to the INT...and he has gotten better at that.

Do we really want McGee if hes going to want more money than Greer? Dont forget he will be 30 or 31 by the end of next season. Im all for signing players that can produce. But thats getting kinda old for a DB who relies on his speed so much. Who knows, maybe this year he shows he doesnt lose a step. At the same time maybe this year we show that Corner or Youboty can step up and challange for a starting role.

McGee is a solid player and great returner. What is alarming to me is the fact we let our DBs walk every year, and end up wasting high draft picks on their replacements. I would like to for once resign our own and and concentrate on other areas