Ashton Youboty

Guest dog14787

McGee is a solid player and great returner. What is alarming to me is the fact we let our DBs walk every year, and end up wasting high draft picks on their replacements. I would like to for once resign our own and and concentrate on other areas

I have to agree...but, if you are going to let your successful draft picks walk, you are probably better off having them be at a position where: a) there are players available to replace them, b) the staff has proven to be good at identifying and developing successful players and C) they can contribute, to a reasonable degree, early in their careers.

The trick there, is to find players at other positions (in FA, trade or with the remaining draft picks) and hold on to them. The Peters situation is evidence that the Bills issue isn't with keeping talented DBs when their contracts come due...they have trouble retaining ANY star player who can command big dollars elsewhere. I'm hoping the recent re-signings of Evans and Mitchell are the beginning of a real change, in that area.

Re-signing your successful players a year, or two, before the end of their contract, is a much better practice than losing them all to FA.