Nobody wanted Denney, Kelsay, Simpson

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/colu...&id=4102721

8. It was surprising that more veterans weren't traded Sunday. Veterans at virtually every position were available. The St. Louis Rams' Pisa Tinoisamoa could have been traded to a team that needed a linebacker. The Oakland Raiders were willing to give up safety Mike Huff or running back Justin Fargas. The Bills made defensive linemen Ryan Denney and Chris Kelsay and safety Ko Simpson available. You knew thoughts of trades for Anquan Boldin, Braylon Edwards, Brady Quinn and others ended after the first round, but it was surprising to see so few deals when veterans could have solved many needs.

I hope nobody has their heart set on seeing us getting anything for them...

We don't want them because they are overpaid or under performers, so why would anyone else want to give up anything else for them? If they wanted them, the whole league knows there is a good chance that they will be cut before too long, so they can get them for free.

Where does it say nobody wanted them again?

well, if you say to a room full of people "does anybody want these" and nobody takes any of them, it implies that nobody wanted them. Or they're hard of hearing.

And yes, I'm aware that we could have had too high an asking price. But on day 2 how high could any price be?

$9.5 million in total scheduled to be paid to Kelsay, Denney, and Spencer Johnson this year. Something has to change... horrible return on investment.

How do you figure with regard to Spencer? He did his job - played well in the rotation and even spelled people at end.

Past mistakes....the above, plus add in Dockery....

makes you question the talent evaluation.

Levy and his front office made the call to re-sign Kelsay on the fringe of UFA starting in 07. Looking back, I'd rather have spent Kelsay and Dockery's money on keeping Clements. The total money doesn't add up, but the guaranteed funds do.

IIRC, Kelsay got 12M guaranteed and Dockery received 20M or thereabouts. Imagine giving NC a deal for this guaranteed money, as he'll never receive 80M out of his SF deal signed during March 07.

Mistakes made in 06 and 07 will hurt for awhile. It's why saying what's "good" in 09, let alone 08 is a bit premature.

I really want Kelsay cut. Forget trading him, either he takes a drastic pay cut or they cut him.

His pay is the bottom line - there is a place and a role for him to fill, but nobody in that role should be making the $$ that he is. That's the reason there is no trade interest - other teams may be interested in Kelsay, but they are not interested in his current contract. If he was making very little money, it would be much easier to move him.

I really want Kelsay cut. Forget trading him, either he takes a drastic pay cut or they cut him.

our run defense is bad enough with him. it would be even worse without him.

since our DE draft pick is currently only a situational pass rusher, we need Kelsay for 1st and 2nd down.

agreed that he is way overpaid for his role, but cutting him outright is actually hurting the team.