Sen Specter Comes Out Of The Closet

"The Specter defection is too severe a catastrophe to qualify as a "wake-up call." His defection is the thing we needed the wake-up call to warn us against! For a long time, the loudest and most powerful voices in the conservative world have told us that people like Specter aren't real Republicans -- that they don't belong in the party. Now he's gone, and with him the last Republican leverage within any of the elected branches of government.

For years, many in the conservative world have wished for an ideologically purer GOP. Their wish has been granted. Happy?"

YES. VERY.

Specter wasnt a real Republican and its absurd to think he was. How does ANY Republican vote FOR a massive spending bill like he did? It goes against all party beliefs.

Eff Specter. And Eff any other so called Conservatives and other mealy mouths who feel the only way the GOP is to become viable is to be just slightly to the right of the Democrats. I find it laughable that becuase you didnt sign on to the Obama agenda youre somehow a "right wing extremist." Its comical that the same bunch of folks who made a staunch liberal like Joe Lieberman a pariah becuase of a SINGLE ISSUE are now dictating to me about tolerance.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although McCain's choice of Palin was a massive sellout.)

In retrospect it was plain stupid. She was in no way ready to be on the national stage. McCain was in a losing position as soon as he put her on the ticket. Bad choice and faulty strategy.

In retrospect it was plain stupid. She was in no way ready to be on the national stage. McCain was in a losing position as soon as he put her on the ticket. Bad choice and faulty strategy.

Speaking of our favorite wingnut dingbat, it seems that she's done an about-face on taking the stimulus money. Except a paltry 29m or something that would be used to establish a uniform energy code. Wouldn't want to piss off the oil companies who support the welfare state.

Hey, Specter...can you make up your freaking mind, you old coot!

Specter's first vote as a Democrat? He's against Obama's spending bill.

The Senate voted for the plan 53-43. Four Democrats, including recent party-switcher Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, voted against it.

What's the matter, Arlen? Covering your bases in case you need to switch parties again?

What a !@#$ing maroon this dude is.:):lol:

Because he doesn't vote along party lines?

It just doesn't make sense, does it? First he's with a party that is supposed to be for reduced government and spending, and he votes for the stimulus bill filled with nothing but ridiculous pork.

Then he goes to the Democrats, the party that is supposed to spend like drunk sailers, and he votes against the largest spending bill in the history of the free freaking world.

Geezus, Specter. At this rate you might want to run the Bills. That's how much sense you're making. :):lol:

It just doesn't make sense, does it? First he's with a party that is supposed to be for reduced government and spending, and he votes for the stimulus bill filled with nothing but ridiculous pork.

Then he goes to the Democrats, the party that is supposed to spend like drunk sailers, and he votes against the largest spending bill in the history of the free freaking world.

Geezus, Specter. At this rate you might want to run the Bills. That's how much sense you're making. :pirate::rolleyes:

He's often not made a lot of sense, but the one thing I always liked about him was his independent thinking, however misguided I often thought it was. I like that he's now a Democrat, but think it's great that the first vote he made was against them. He takes things individually, like they all should, and sometimes he trades votes like they all do. But no one should just rubber stamp anything, IMO, and he doesn't seem to at least.

He's often not made a lot of sense, but the one thing I always liked about him was his independent thinking, however misguided I often thought it was. I like that he's now a Democrat, but think it's great that the first vote he made was against them. He takes things individually, like they all should, and sometimes he trades votes like they all do. But no one should just rubber stamp anything, IMO, and he doesn't seem to at least.

He's all yours. But it reminds me a bit of dating a woman who left her husband to be with you.

I think the Republicans were ready to kill him when he took his own dear time with the Alito nomination about 5 years ago.

I don't think he forgot it. He was publicly skewered for deliberating on a vote he actually approved.

Obviously he wasn't "pure" enough at the time. :pirate:

A senator nobody likes might be worth having around. :rolleyes:

Specter wasnt a real Republican and its absurd to think he was. How does ANY Republican vote FOR a massive spending bill like he did? It goes against all party beliefs.

I guess you slept through the Bush budgets that were voted for by the majority of Republicans in Congress.

I think the Republicans were ready to kill him when he took his own dear time with the Alito nomination about 5 years ago.

I don't think he forgot it. He was publicly skewered for deliberating on a vote he actually approved.

Obviously he wasn't "pure" enough at the time. :pirate:

A senator nobody likes might be worth having around. :rolleyes:

In fairness it came on the heels of the full GOP machine working overtime to get him elected. So there was reason they were a bit miffed.

In fairness it came on the heels of the full GOP machine working overtime to get him elected. So there was reason they were a bit miffed.

That's a really good point. But he's been a Republican longer than the litmus.

Curious what Olympia Snowe wrote yesterday about the party losing moderates....

"There is no plausible scenario under which Republicans can grow into a majority while shrinking our ideological confines and continuing to retract into a regional party."

If you lose people like Specter, and maybe someday Snowe (it's not that far out) who is left in the party to talk to the majority?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/29/opinion/29snowe.html

I guess you slept through the Bush budgets that were voted for by the majority of Republicans in Congress.

I'm pretty sure his point was that the Republican Party isn't really Republican anymore, either.

A point that many people have made numerous times on this board, presumably while you've been sleeping.

Speaking of our favorite wingnut dingbat, it seems that she's done an about-face on taking the stimulus money. Except a paltry 29m or something that would be used to establish a uniform energy code. Wouldn't want to piss off the oil companies who support the welfare state.
Did someone mention Sarah?