Sen Specter Comes Out Of The Closet

Good, and you shouldnt. Nor do I for that matter. I think before you give him any of your hard earned money, see how the rest of the term unfolds. Like how he votes.

We'll see if he stands up to the obama machine. Standing up to Bush is nothing compared to the power that left has now. Again. Lets see how he votes. My guess is he'll fall in line so he can get all that money for re-elction, plus maybe a chairmanship. Ya think?

I heard him interviewed just recently and he concedes that he sometimes has to trade one position that he disagrees with to get support for an issue that he perceives as more important. That's how you move the machine. So I am sure he will horse-trade with the Democrats just like he used to with the Republicans.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another nail in the coffin. He's going to be the same pain in the ass as always, and it's entirely about re-election, but it sure makes it easier for the Democrats and a lot harder for the Party of No.

I guess this was just a pre-emptive move to head off a situation like Lieberman was in back in '06. Not only got embarrassed by losing the primary to Lamont, but ended up having to fight a two-front battle. He won by a fairly sizable margin, o' course, but it was pretty messy and, most importantly, took more money.

I'm not current on what Specter's popularity numbers are, but I believe they are generally declining, if only slightly. I guess either they were declining among Republicans in such numbers that there was no way he'd win such a two-front battle or he's thinking longer-term and joining what is, at present, the Dem main ship and watching the Republican boat sink. In any case, he's gonna have to be on guard to determine who his real friends are now. Dems would probably like a more party-line candidate and Repubs... well... there's no greater enemy than a former friend.

Broader scheme, it's something to be seen what is to become of the GOP. I believe recent polls say that only ~27 percent of registered voters now identify as Repubs. (I think this is about the same percentage of Americans who believe in UFOs.) Reagan's Big Tent collapsed, and I think McCain saw the death knell for his campaign where the Type-II diabetes cat lady stood up and said, "I don't trust Obama. He's a Muslim!" I think this is generally the stereotype of what the party is now --- namely, stupid/crazy Bible-thumpers.

This is a party that basically threw out Linc Chaffee, among many other of the saner voices, and now carry Rush Limbaugh and --- in recent weeks --- Darth Cheney as the most visible standard-carriers. True fiscal conservatives have left or maybe never existed in the first place. Warhawks/'nation-builders' have replaced 'strong border' anti-interventionists. Small-gov't big-corporation proponents are getting bushwhacked. They're on the losing side of a number of 'wedge issues' the gap of which will only increase as today's youth grow up. Looking out at the GOP landscape, you don't see much hope for them beyond the Dems f---ing everything up seven ways to Sunday in either the economy or defense. That will happen, o' course --- f--kups by the party in power, rather than good ideas from the party that is not, is what keeps the pendulum swinging.

Is this a time (in the next 10, 20, or 30 years) where a viable and competitive alternative party is finally formed or gains popular support?

I heard him interviewed just recently and he concedes that he sometimes has to trade one position that he disagrees with to get support for an issue that he perceives as more important. That's how you move the machine. So I am sure he will horse-trade with the Democrats just like he used to with the Republicans.

Just a cursory look at his voting record and he seems to be pretty much along party lines. Major issues etc...

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Arlen_Specter.htm

I dont care if its a Rep or a Dem, they should be forced to resign if they want to switch parties half way through their term. The constituents that put in back in office voted for him because of the ideology of that party. NOW he'll legislate from a different ideology then that of the constituency that put him back in office, and I dont give a shiit what, who or how he says he'll vote. :blink:

If I lived in PA I'd be really !@#$ing pissed right about now.

Damn you Strom Thurmond. Since your switch in 1964 you've thrown this nation into chaos. :w00t:

Seriously, we really need to term limit these azzholes right out of office.

That being a term limit of 1 (as in, one term only, not just successively) for whatever office being held. And a serious decrease in congressional pensions (members of the Congress do not pay into or collect Social Security, and therefore have zero personal motivation to touch the Third Rail of American Politics and actually fix it), health plans, etc.

We need to put more democracy into our representative democracy.

Being a 30-year lion of the Senate, etc., is exactly how we've arrived at the precipice.

Damn you Strom Thurmond. Since your switch in 1964 you've thrown this nation into chaos. :blink:

Yeah. Thats exactly what I said and meant. :w00t:

IMO, throw them all out. Then term limit the next bunch. The President has term limits, why not the rest of the leaches. :w00t:

I guess this was just a pre-emptive move to head off a situation like Lieberman was in back in '06. Not only got embarrassed by losing the primary to Lamont, but ended up having to fight a two-front battle. He won by a fairly sizable margin, o' course, but it was pretty messy and, most importantly, took more money.

I'm not current on what Specter's popularity numbers are, but I believe they are generally declining, if only slightly. I guess either they were declining among Republicans in such numbers that there was no way he'd win such a two-front battle or he's thinking longer-term and joining what is, at present, the Dem main ship and watching the Republican boat sink. In any case, he's gonna have to be on guard to determine who his real friends are now. Dems would probably like a more party-line candidate and Repubs... well... there's no greater enemy than a former friend.

Broader scheme, it's something to be seen what is to become of the GOP. I believe recent polls say that only ~27 percent of registered voters now identify as Repubs. (I think this is about the same percentage of Americans who believe in UFOs.) Reagan's Big Tent collapsed, and I think McCain saw the death knell for his campaign where the Type-II diabetes cat lady stood up and said, "I don't trust Obama. He's a Muslim!" I think this is generally the stereotype of what the party is now --- namely, stupid/crazy Bible-thumpers.

This is a party that basically threw out Linc Chaffee, among many other of the saner voices, and now carry Rush Limbaugh and --- in recent weeks --- Darth Cheney as the most visible standard-carriers. True fiscal conservatives have left or maybe never existed in the first place. Warhawks/'nation-builders' have replaced 'strong border' anti-interventionists. Small-gov't big-corporation proponents are getting bushwhacked. They're on the losing side of a number of 'wedge issues' the gap of which will only increase as today's youth grow up. Looking out at the GOP landscape, you don't see much hope for them beyond the Dems f---ing everything up seven ways to Sunday in either the economy or defense. That will happen, o' course --- f--kups by the party in power, rather than good ideas from the party that is not, is what keeps the pendulum swinging.

Is this a time (in the next 10, 20, or 30 years) where a viable and competitive alternative party is finally formed or gains popular support?

My thought as well, a party centered around fiscal conservatism and social liberalism, but well-funded enough to be taken seriously and begin winning seats in Dem territory.

Yeah. Thats exactly what I said and meant. :blink:

IMO, throw them all out. Then term limit the next bunch. The President has term limits, why not the rest of the leaches. :w00t:

As long as Joe Lieberman has to caucus with the rest of the Connecticut for Lieberman Party, I'm with you. :w00t:

......a rumble in the hay with Barney Franks :blink:

I was just thinking that if Barney Franks announced he was becoming a heterosexual, I'd consider that more earth-shattering news. At least that would be a real change. Specter switching parties still leaves him a member of the American Aristocracy.

And honestly...I don't think I knew Specter was a Republican before today. Never paid that much attention.

I don't know how even got elected in the first place.

Before he was a politician, he was a lawyer. He defended Ira Einhorn one of the organizers of the first Earth Day. Einhorn murdered his girlfriend and shoved her in a footlocker. She was found 16 months later in his closet. Einhorn said that it was a plot by the CIA to frame him. Specter got him out on 40K bail (only had to put up 4K). Before the trial, Einhorn skipped to Sweden. He was found living in France in 1997 and was extradited to the US in 2002, due mainly to the efforts of John Walsh (America's Most Wanted). As part of the extradition, Pennsylvania had to retry him (he was tried and sentenced to death in abstentia) and had to not go for the death penalty. Instead of being put to death, he lived a comfortable life for almost 25 years, due to Arlen Specter.

Specter has been a RINO from day one. I was so pissed at Bush for backing him during his last election. Shows that the majority of people in PA are idiots.

Oh, people vote for the idealogy of the party do they? Not their state/local issues and individual candidates? Well if THAT is the case then no surprise the GOP is in its death throes. And one would wonder why personal attacks are even bothered to be used, if people care more about party than candidate.

We'd be happy to give you Lieberman. Except even HE doesn't want you.

A one-party government is your goal. No choices, right?

You were born too late.

Just a cursory look at his voting record and he seems to be pretty much along party lines. Major issues etc...

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Arlen_Specter.htm

He supports embryonic stem cell research. He's not a strict anti-abortionist. Voted against Constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. Etc.

He votes with the Rep. party 2/3 of the time, which is not that much for a party member.