A common thread running throughout the Bills picks

Simon

It seems that Buffalo has made a point of drafting guys who have great competitive streaks and play with a lot of intensity. I'm very happy that they've spurned the workout warrior types in favor of guys who really get off on playing the game.

I don't think anybody can reasonably claim they've got great "value" with their picks; an undersized underclassman at the top of the draft, Guards in the 1st and 2nd round plus a high 2ndrounder on a Free Safety. But what they do seem to have gotten is ballplayers; and on Sunday at 1:00 ballplayers kick a lot more asses than "value" does.

Duke Robinson would represent great value in round #5, based on talent. But, if you don't see real desire to play, why would you even want the guy on your team?

Well said, Simon.

It seems that Buffalo has made a point of drafting guys who have great competitive streaks and play with a lot of intensity. I'm very happy that they've spurned the workout warrior types in favor of guys who really get off on playing the game.

I don't think anybody can reasonably claim they've got great "value" with their picks; an undersized underclassman at the top of the draft, Guards in the 1st and 2nd round plus a high 2ndrounder on a Free Safety. But what they do seem to have gotten is ballplayers; and on Sunday at 1:00 ballplayers kick a lot more asses than "value" does.

Russ Brandon claimed they went with the best player and didn't alter their draft strategy. I fail to see the logic in his statement, although I completely understand he won't tell the whole truth. They must have known there was a serious lack of toughness on the interior OL.

It's been a long darn time since Buffalo walked on the field and intimidated other teams.

At guard, the draft was weak at the top, and Buffalo needed immediate starters. Those two guys need to be immediate starters to justify their draft position.

Simon, you see a lot of PSU. What's your opinion of Maybin?

Spoke too soon Simon......Nelson was a lot of value where he was drafted...:thumbsup:

I agree, I was shocked he was really still there in the 4th (in the name the Bills picks contest I had Buffalo taking him 3rd) and they did get great value at that pick. But just like the 4 guys that proceeded him he seems to be regarded as a real high effort player who works his ass off to overcome some physical shortcomings.

Russ Brandon claimed they went with the best player and didn't alter their draft strategy. I fail to see the logic in his statement, although I completely understand he won't tell the whole truth. They must have known there was a serious lack of toughness on the interior OL.

The Bills could have decided to value toughness and competitiveness more, this year, and still not have altered their draft strategy. The evaluation criteria may have changed, but the strategy of keeping the board likely remained the same.

It's been a long darn time since Buffalo walked on the field and intimidated other teams.

At guard, the draft was weak at the top, and Buffalo needed immediate starters. Those two guys need to be immediate starters to justify their draft position.

Ya think so BV? It wouldn't really bother me to see Levitre work his way in. Two rookie OGs is rough.

Amen!

And yes it is about time... :thumbsup:

Simon, you see a lot of PSU. What's your opinion of Maybin?

I'm not the best Nittany Lion expert around here by any means but he created a lot of problems for opposing offenses this year. Even when teams ultimately started trying to chip him his agility and athleticism was often times just too much. And all this stuff about him being a one-dimensional passrusher his horsehockey; he can drop into coverage (which the Bills love to do with their Ends), he can play sideline to sideline, and he can turn the ball over. While he's certainly not stout he does make plays all over the field.

I don't think anybody knows how he's going to make the transition to playing against truly elite competition (and anybody that claims to know is simply full of falafel), but if he can't do it successfully it won't be due to lack of effort cuz the kid plays his ass off.

I'll feel better with him having a stout LB like KMitchell behind him because he is going to get pushed around at times, but I think his speed, agility and multidimensionality is going to make him a far greater asset than it will a liability.

I agree, I was shocked he was really still there in the 4th (in the name the Bills picks contest I had Buffalo taking him 3rd) and they did get great value at that pick. But just like the 4 guys that proceeded him he seems to be regarded as a real high effort player who works his ass off to overcome some physical shortcomings.

Exactly...

I heard Mayock talking about him leading up to the Draft and he LOVED Nelson's willingness to compete...And then he talked about how well Nelson blocked Maualuga in the Sr. Bowl Practices...Add that to the Kids athletic ability and the fact that they got him at #121...Nice... :thumbsup:

I'm not the best Nittany Lion expert around here by any means but he created a lot of problems for opposing offenses this year. Even when teams ultimately started trying to chip him his agility and athleticism was often times just too much. And all this stuff about him being a one-dimensional passrusher his horsehockey; he can drop into coverage (which the Bills love to do with their Ends), he can play sideline to sideline, and he can turn the ball over. While he's certainly not stout he does make plays all over the field.

I don't think anybody knows how he's going to make the transition to playing against truly elite competition (and anybody that claims to know is simply full of falafel), but if he can't do it successfully it won't be due to lack of effort cuz the kid plays his ass off.

I'll feel better with him having a stout LB like KMitchell behind him because he is going to get pushed around at times, but I think his speed, agility and multidimensionality is going to make him a far greater asset than it will a liability.

Well said. Thanks.

But I think that a lot of his "getting pushed around" and people saying he isn't strong against the run and has some trouble getting off blocks. I think that has a lot to do with his youth. He is only 21, as he gains experience he will get better. And with him playing at 236lbs, it's understandable he wasn't stout against the run and had some trouble with blocks. With him bulking up to over 250lbs and hopefully to around 260-265lbs, he should improve dramatically in those areas.

And with his work ethic, why not? He should be a good one, it just may take two or three years before he fully hits his stride and starts putting up those 10+ sack seasons. He's got the potential and talent.

The Bills could have decided to value toughness and competitiveness more, this year, and still not have altered their draft strategy. The evaluation criteria may have changed, but the strategy of keeping the board likely remained the same.

Perhaps, but getting toughness out of DB's and WR's is a lot different than where it matters most-in the trenches. It's cliche, but the idea that they've finally decided to go OL can't be underestimated after not having the horses on OL. Or maybe clydesdales

Ya think so BV? It wouldn't really bother me to see Levitre work his way in. Two rookie OGs is rough.

I'm not keen on starting 2 rookie OG's, but I like that both players are smart and study film. They've got plenty of time played in college, (Wood has 49 starts) and Levitre has played all over.

What does this say about Butler? Not sure if he's a RT candidate, but it's early.

they looked at film of our line play..esp on the O side--and saw a lot of guys going through the motions..-They woke up and saw what most of us saw.

Perhaps, but getting toughness out of DB's and WR's is a lot different than where it matters most-in the trenches. It's cliche, but the idea that they've finally decided to go OL can't be underestimated after not having the horses on OL. Or maybe clydesdales

Or, could it be they have done a fine job in the other areas, and this year, the value of some positions and characteristics is being valued more highly, when building their board? That doesn't represent a change in strategy, at all. That represents doing the same thing you do every year, when you evaluate players, I would think.

If you think the Bills, or any team, makes their board without their needs built into how they evaluate the "best player", then I can't help you here.

If there’s a way for you to access the 2008 game between Southern Miss and Auburn on Sept. 6th you’ll like what you see from Shawn Nelson.

He was double teamed for almost the entire game, but they kept feeding him the ball and he kept making plays.

“In the Auburn game on every pass play they knew every play was going to him and they still weren’t able to stop him,” said Bills scout Shawn Heinlen. ”For him to be able to do that is his strength.”

Nelson’s stat line for that game? 12 catches for 118 yards and two touchdowns.

I just love the problems Buffalo’s passing game is now posing for opposing defenses. T.O. and Evans on the outside and then Josh Reed and Shawn Nelson on the inside keeping defenses honest. Good luck with that.

The guy sounds focused.

I'm not keen on starting 2 rookie OG's, but I like that both players are smart and study film. They've got plenty of time played in college, (Wood has 49 starts) and Levitre has played all over.

What does this say about Butler? Not sure if he's a RT candidate, but it's early.

Isn't that where he played in college?