Round 4, Pick 121: SHAWN NELSON, TE, Southern Miss

4.52 40 yard dash

6'5

and

GREAT PRODUCTION

This guy is a very good pick. I don't expect him to be our starting TE in his first year, but I do see Buffalo using him in 2 Tight End and situational pass plays.

I like the move a lot!!

:thumbsup:

I like the move a lot too IF we are running a scheme that uses the TE in traditional ways AND we have a credible plan for using vets on the team as credible TE options while Nelson learns to become a vet.

I simply do not see this on this team.

Schoman is a very good ST player but scares no one as a TE position player with either his blocking or extraordinary downfield receiving ability. I like Fine as a developing receiver, but his loss of a lot of PT due to injury last year leaves him as a near rookie in my mind and in no way capable of starting at TE in the NFL.

I was actually made quite hopeful by the Bills extraordinary commitment to making up for the loss of their vet starting LT by though not replacing him straight up with a player judged worthy (even though falsely in 08) of making the Pro Bowl, they seem to emphasize durable flexible players so that with good coaching (another question mark on O under Jauron) they should be able to find 7 starters and two back-ups who are at least adequate and maybe good if they develop chemistry each week from Walker/Hamgardner/Wood/Butler/Chambers/LeVitre/Bell/McKinney/etc.

However, the seeming commitment to a scheme where the TE plays a key role and this team simply does not have a player capable of being an adequate starter at TE (or the needed credible back-up) still leaves me feeling like this team is simply writing off a playoff appearance in 09.

I am a loyal fan so I will hang in there, but the temptation to ask them to wake me in 2010 when the team is going to seriously go after the playoffs is quite high if they are going to commit to a traditional TE role in the O but on the face of it none of the 3 TEs are likely to be adequate starting TEs this year.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks! :thumbsup:

This puts us over the top for best draft IMO

On paper it's pretty damn good.

Maybin - Best pass rusher in the draft. :P

Wood - Second best center in the draft an incredibly nasty field player. :wallbash:

Byrd - Ballhawk that gets a lot of interceptions and returns punts and should be a great FS. :thumbsup:

Levitre - Should be a great guard for a long time to come. Another nasty player. :thumbsup:

Nelson - According to Lindy's Pro Football Draft magazine he has the best hands of all the TE's in the draft. Mixed reviews about his blocking abilities but at least seems adequate and if he can bulk up should be a very good blocker.

Hamdan will have yet another weapon to throw to when leads us to the promise land! :devil: Seriously, good pickup :)

Why wasn't the Hamdan comment serious? :unsure:

So let me get this straight. We've just drafted starters at the following positions:

RDE

LG

RG

FS

TE

This is by far one of the best drafts we've had on paper in a long time.

Great picks and I wonder if we'll use any of our remaining picks on a QB with more than few serviceable ones still out there.

Part of wants us to pick Reilly so Jaworski WILL SHUT UP ABOUT HIM! Jesus!

It definitely is a value draft that covers some big needs. Now these dudes have to prove it on the field.

True that.

Phrases like, "do you want the other pizza were common when I was that age."

I wanted to jog and bike, and swim too.

Now the wife makes me steamed veggies and asks me when is the last time I used the health club membership - "sigh..."

When I was working in the summers in college I would come home from work about 12 am. I'd eat an entire pint of Ben and Jerry's while watching Letterman and I never gained a pound.

Just like you, I now gain weight if I think about Ben and Jerry's :(

Not a lot of quality FA's left.

This is the best value pick. Gil Brandt had him in the 50's and we get him at 121. I think his potential is huge.

As far as speed goes he will get plenty deep if we can protect the QB.

BUFFALO BILLS 4th ROUND DRAFT PICK (121st OVERALL) TE SHAWN NELSON

Conference Call

Sunday, April 26, 2009

On being drafted by the Bills:

I kind of felt like I was going to end up there, talking to the coaches at the training table at the combine and having an interview with them and then seeing them releasing Robert Royal, I knew they needed a tight end. I had a strong feeling that I would end up there. Maybe Atlanta was a possibility until they got the addition with Tony Gonzalez. That kind of took me out of the picture, so my focus was pretty much on Buffalo.

On if he had a good sense that he would be drafted with the 121st pick:

Yeah, I’ve been sitting there watching and with the analysts going over the draft and saying that Buffalo really needed a tight end and they would take the best player available on the board no matter who went. And then I was there at the number one spot, so I had a good feeling that I would end up there in Buffalo.

On his mindset going into the Senior Bowl:

It was the same as my mindset going into practice or into the game. I did things that a lot of guys, coming from Southern Miss and then at the Senior Bowl, they really had a chance to see for themselves in person what I can really do. It wasn’t just something that I went out there and did, it was something that I work at and that I think I’ve been getting better at and even in the Senior Bowl I felt comfortable with how I was blocking. I felt like I’ve been blocking the same way I was blocking my senior year, so it wasn’t a surprise to me.

On the challenges of being expected to contribute right away:

I just want to get in and learn the playbook. I think everything else will take care of itself. I think once I get in and learn that playbook and get the offense down pat, I think I’ll be able to contribute immediately and try to help this team win football games.

On if he thinks he’s a polished route-runner:

Yeah, I played receiver all my life until I got to Southern Miss. I think playing receiver in high school and my previous years, I believe that helped me with coming out with speed and explosion, so I just want to work hard with being consistent and blocking and getting that total package at tight end.

On if he is comfortable at the weight he is now:

Kind of. I’m going to get to about 250 pounds. I’m at 243, so if I’m at 250, I’ll keep my speed and be okay.

Nelson is an understandable pick as he appears to be a steal at this point in the draft. However, I find this pck disappointing as I was hoping the Bills had actually figured out a way to lower the use of the TE in an offense which would use 3 WRs as the base offense wth Evans/TO/Parrish as the WRs and having a great competition between Reed/Hardy/Johnson to complete the line-up.

The pick of Nelson MAY indicate the braintrust is still invested in a traditional NFL O which utilizes the TE, but the problem is that it looks like it will take a couple of years at least for Nelson to develop the blocking chops necessary to be utilized often as a balanced TE. Even worse, I think Schouman is definitely a good ST player at best and that Fine though I like him as a receiver is also a couple of years away from being a balanced producer with both the receiving and blocking chops necessary to be considered a good back-up for Nelson.

Nelson looks like a good player but I do not see how the Bills make it work with his developing skills to create a good O.

I understand your thinking but the Bills play in Buffalo in the cold and in the cold you need a TE. That run and shoot stuff might work in some other cities but in the cold you need some TE's

Nelson is an understandable pick as he appears to be a steal at this point in the draft. However, I find this pck disappointing as I was hoping the Bills had actually figured out a way to lower the use of the TE in an offense which would use 3 WRs as the base offense wth Evans/TO/Parrish as the WRs and having a great competition between Reed/Hardy/Johnson to complete the line-up.

The pick of Nelson MAY indicate the braintrust is still invested in a traditional NFL O which utilizes the TE, but the problem is that it looks like it will take a couple of years at least for Nelson to develop the blocking chops necessary to be utilized often as a balanced TE. Even worse, I think Schouman is definitely a good ST player at best and that Fine though I like him as a receiver is also a couple of years away from being a balanced producer with both the receiving and blocking chops necessary to be considered a good back-up for Nelson.

Nelson looks like a good player but I do not see how the Bills make it work with his developing skills to create a good O.

By the way you want a 3 WR set just split him out he is a converted WR and just as fast as Hardy.

I want to go on record as saying this draft was uneventful and mediocre at best. Maybins only hope is to move him to OLB and then he won't be a total bust. All the other picks were bargain choices to save money , cause after all a cheaper team is easier to sell. The only hopeful prospect is TE Nelson. We passed on high quality players for players who were happy to be chosen so early. It is obvious by drafting all the DB's, that Dicky J is still going with the Tampa Two defense. Hey Dick lighter and faster doesn't equal effective. Before all you DBM haters jump my shizzle, I just want to remind that I called JP Losman a bust day one and I was right. I also said even after the 5-1 start last year that we would end up .500 or worse and again, I was right. Don't get me wrong ...I am tired of being right, I want this team to prove me wrong, but they won't. This draft was a bust and a waste of viewing time for me ...our scouts obviously don't know talent. Or their hands are tied by a miserly owner who doesn't want to spend good money for good players. 7-9 here we come....again! :wallbash:;):lol:

--------------------

2. SHAWN NELSON Southern Mississippi 6-5 241 4.54 2

Four-year starter who gave serious consideration to declaring last year. "H-back in a pass-oriented system," Hardaway said. "He's got competitive speed." Finished with 157 receptions for 2,054 yards (13.1) and 16 TDs. "Heck of an athlete," one scout said. "Kind of a flex guy. Never blocks anyone." Earned praise from scouts by going to the Senior Bowl and sticking his nose in as a blocker. "If somebody's expecting him to be a run-block-catch tight end they may end up being a little disappointed," another scout said. "Not necessarily a bad kid but I don't know how smart he is, how into it he is. But if he's used in the proper fashion he could be a legitimate threat. He stood out at the Senior Bowl as an athlete running down the field." Wonderlic of 24.

I want to go on record as saying this draft was uneventful and mediocre at best. Maybins only hope is to move him to OLB and then he won't be a total bust. All the other picks were bargain choices to save money , cause after all a cheaper team is easier to sell. The only hopeful prospect is TE Nelson. We passed on high quality players for players who were happy to be chosen so early. It is obvious by drafting all the DB's, that Dicky J is still going with the Tampa Two defense. Hey Dick lighter and faster doesn't equal effective. Before all you DBM haters jump my shizzle, I just want to remind that I called JP Losman a bust day one and I was right. I also said even after the 5-1 start last year that we would end up .500 or worse and again, I was right. Don't get me wrong ...I am tired of being right, I want this team to prove me wrong, but they won't. This draft was a bust and a waste of viewing time for me ...our scouts obviously don't know talent. Or their hands are tied by a miserly owner who doesn't want to spend good money for good players. 7-9 here we come....again! :lol::lol::lol:

--------------------

You can't remind anyone here that you were first because you joined in April '09. He'd been declared a certifiable bust way before that by many here.

Shizzle jump!

I want to go on record as saying this draft was uneventful and mediocre at best. Maybins only hope is to move him to OLB and then he won't be a total bust. All the other picks were bargain choices to save money , cause after all a cheaper team is easier to sell. The only hopeful prospect is TE Nelson. We passed on high quality players for players who were happy to be chosen so early. It is obvious by drafting all the DB's, that Dicky J is still going with the Tampa Two defense. Hey Dick lighter and faster doesn't equal effective. Before all you DBM haters jump my shizzle, I just want to remind that I called JP Losman a bust day one and I was right. I also said even after the 5-1 start last year that we would end up .500 or worse and again, I was right. Don't get me wrong ...I am tired of being right, I want this team to prove me wrong, but they won't. This draft was a bust and a waste of viewing time for me ...our scouts obviously don't know talent. Or their hands are tied by a miserly owner who doesn't want to spend good money for good players. 7-9 here we come....again! :lol::lol::lol:

--------------------

What a tool. You didn't call sh-- about Losman because you joined less than a year ago.

Guest dog14787
What a tool. You didn't call sh-- about Losman because you joined less than a year ago.

Under Da Big Man anyway, the wrath of Lori may have ended his first life at TSW from the sounds of it. :blink:

Taking Nelson still is my favorite pick after round 1. People were harping for Maualuga to Buffalo late in the first, but he's not as stout as some think. Nelson actually put his rear end on the ground at the Senior Bowl practices.

The game is changing rapidly. Finding a guy who can adequately block and run the seam are few and far betweeen on draft day. Nelson has the potential to become a fine blocker who currently has the skills to exploit the middle of the field.

Many sources have said Nelson can add weight to his frame, which will certainly help to block opposing OLB's.

Guest dog14787
Taking Nelson still is my favorite pick after round 1. People were harping for Maualuga to Buffalo late in the first, but he's not as stout as some think. Nelson actually put his rear end on the ground at the Senior Bowl practices.

The game is changing rapidly. Finding a guy who can adequately block and run the seam are few and far betweeen on draft day. Nelson has the potential to become a fine blocker who currently has the skills to exploit the middle of the field.

Many sources have said Nelson can add weight to his frame, which will certainly help to block opposing OLB's.

Yup, this Nelson fella could really be a nice pick up and end up being exactly what our offense needs with his receiving capabilities, a big, sure handed target with some speed. :blink:

Dude been here for a long time. My original screen couldn't be retrieved during that whole transition this site under went around a year ago. Sooooo, I was right then and now, Douche :rolleyes: