Who's next?

That kind of logic tells me you'd take a quarterback if he was the "best overall available" even if we had Peyton Manning and Jay Cutler on our roster.

I say this late in the draft, you go with best overall player for your most needed position. There's still more value in a 4th round TE than a 6th round LB.

I'd love to see Coffman at 121. He's got great size.

Scouting Report

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2009ccoffman.php

If the Bills had the luxury of 2 pro bowlers at one position, I would not pick that position. As far as I'm concerned, the Bills barely have any inked-in starters so yes, I'd take the best available player: RB, QB, LB, TE, whatever. Maybe the only position they don't need is DB.

I would love a great TE but am not convinced that any TE this late will make a difference whatsoever unless he's a special teams player.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

James Casey

Looks like an interesting prospect.

Named 1st Team All-C-USA in 2008...Holds the Conference USA record for receptions in a season...Entered the draft after his sophomore season...Played seven different positions for the Owls (tight end, wide receiver, quarterback, defensive end, running back, fullback and safety) and also saw action on special teams as a punt returner...Earned Academic All American honors while carrying a 3.84 GPA with a triple major in Economics, Managerial Studies and Sport Management...

111 receptions and 13 TDs in 2008

keep yer fingers crossed

Isn't this a freakishly deep TE class?

It is deep to a certain extent. There are many of those hybrid TE/WR prospects, but not too many traditional TE prospects who can both run and block effectively.

I think this is why you saw the first two TE's chosen fit the classic TE category, and up to now only 1 of the other TE prospects have been chosen.

Because Ingram has serious, serious medical red flags. I'll take my chances with Coffman that we can teach him to block. He had almost 1000 yards receiving last season. And I'm glad Cook is gone. Good luck with him, Jeff Fisher.

He had a knee injury...He wanted to play at the end of last year but the Florida Coaches held him out...I'm not saying some Teams have not taken him off their Boards because of Medical concerns, but He ran and ran well at the Combine (4.68 at 245 lbs)...Then He went to the Florida Pro Day and blew up...Ingram Pro Day

He's a year and a half removed from an ACL...Players come back from ACL's every day in the NFL...This Kid is a special, special Athlete...He's going to have to learn a Pro system...But he's determined and you can't teach what He's born with... :worthy:

So much for Chase Coffman...

Casey is the next best guy.

James Casey, Rice

Height: 6-4. Weight: 243.

Projected 40 Time: 4.66.

Combine 40 Time: 4.78.

Pro Day 40 Time: 4.79.

Benchx225: 28. Vertical: 36.

Projected Round (2009): 3-4.

2/22/09: James Casey had the second-best vertical for tight ends at the 2009 NFL Combine with 36 inches. His 40 was slower than expected, however.

2/21/09: James Casey tied Travis Beckum for most bench press reps at the 2009 NFL Combine with 28.

1/5/09: It appears as though Casey, 24, will declare as a true sophomore. He finished the 2008 campaign with 111 receptions, 1,329 yards and 13 touchdowns.

10/26/08: James Casey is having a great sophomore year. He has 67 catches, 803 yards and six touchdowns through just eight games. Because of his age, Casey must declare ASAP despite being just a true sophomore.

7/27/08: Let's see... James Casey had 46 catches for 585 yards and four touchdowns as a freshman despite not registering a single reception until Week 4. He runs a solid 40. So, why is he so low on this list? Well, he turns 25 in September 2009, so there's not much more room for growth.

Wow. There has been a run on TightEnds in Round 3. Cook, Coffman, Beckum all gone! I'm not a fan of Ingram because he is not a strong blocker.

Is our best option at this point to try to work out a deal for Scheffler and focus on OLB and depth with out final picks?

#121 is 4th round.

Thanks--that shows as a Philly pick on ESPN. I thought the Bills gave that pick up to get Levitre but it looks like they gave the first 4th rounder for him.

I stand by my position: pick whoever you think is good. TE is a luxury and none of them this late will be very good.

Casey is the next best guy.

James Casey, Rice

Height: 6-4. Weight: 243.

Projected 40 Time: 4.66.

Combine 40 Time: 4.78.

Pro Day 40 Time: 4.79.

Benchx225: 28. Vertical: 36.

Projected Round (2009): 3-4.

2/22/09: James Casey had the second-best vertical for tight ends at the 2009 NFL Combine with 36 inches. His 40 was slower than expected, however.

2/21/09: James Casey tied Travis Beckum for most bench press reps at the 2009 NFL Combine with 28.

1/5/09: It appears as though Casey, 24, will declare as a true sophomore. He finished the 2008 campaign with 111 receptions, 1,329 yards and 13 touchdowns.

10/26/08: James Casey is having a great sophomore year. He has 67 catches, 803 yards and six touchdowns through just eight games. Because of his age, Casey must declare ASAP despite being just a true sophomore.

7/27/08: Let's see... James Casey had 46 catches for 585 yards and four touchdowns as a freshman despite not registering a single reception until Week 4. He runs a solid 40. So, why is he so low on this list? Well, he turns 25 in September 2009, so there's not much more room for growth.

I would be OK with this guy from Rice*.

At this point, why bother?, You currently have a player who was 4th round rookie last year (Derek Fine) and hurt most of the year and a guy with two years exp (Derek Schoman) who not sure what round he was drafted or by who. Neither of those players have been around long enough to know how good they might be. Unless you get lucky anyone you get at this point likely isn't going to be better than the current players, so I think you're better going with best player available and maybe pick up another FA tight end someplace rather than "waste" and I use that term loosely another pick. Usually after the draft there's a bunch of more signings, maybe you get one there or a training camp cut from soneone. I also would be fine with a trade with some team, but I see no need in drafting one at this point . You can't keep chasing draft picks every year and right away give up on whom you already have. That's the long term secret to failure!

But wherever they may get another TE from, just make sure his first name is Derek! :worthy: