No to Pettigrew

Guest dog14787
The problem is, TE is so deep in this draft and Pettigrew isn't known for his pass catching. If he's going to stay in and block a lot, then fine. But don't try to make him into T-Gon. And try not to take him at #11 when there's no chance of anyone else taking him until the 20's.

We have an excellent group of running backs this season, Pettigrew is a beast, his blocking skills and mean attitude would be a huge added plus after losing Jason Peters in my opinion.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion, but I don't think the Bills are targeting Pettigrew. Most analysts have been of the opinion that Pettigrew would be there at 21, but not at 28. If the Bills were that interested in Pettigrew IMO they would have taken the Philly offer of the 21st pick and 3rd round pick as opposed to pushing for the additional pick next year. This would have left them in a better position to get him.

You think the Bills chose #28, 4th, and 6th over #21 and 3rd? Seriously??

The Bills may try to use #28 and a 4th/5th to move up and get Pettigrew. I personally hope not because they need to acquire a multitude of talent and for the simple fact that Chase Coffman can be had later in the draft without giving away picks. Chase Coffman reminds me of Jay Novacek, and I'd use my 2nd rd. pick on him before someone else grabs him.

The Bills may try to use #28 and a 4th/5th to move up and get Pettigrew. I personally hope not because they need to acquire a multitude of talent and for the simple fact that Chase Coffman can be had later in the draft without giving away picks. Chase Coffman reminds me of Jay Novacek, and I'd use my 2nd rd. pick on him before someone else grabs him.

No argument there. Maybe moving up from the 3rd into the late second, packaging one of those 4th rounders we have. We'd still have three picks in rounds 4-7 for depth and future picks.

I am going to be sick to my stomach if we bring in pettigrew as our numer one pick.. Yes we need a TE.. but seriously you can get a decent TE in the 4th round.. This team would be really stupid not to get everett brown or a OT with the first pick.. We need to fill our core positions and TE is not a need we need to adress first.

I could not agree more with this. The TE position is highly overrated. I challenge anyone to produce a TE draft pick that was worth a first round selection in the pass 20 years ....

You nailed it Leo-Mac.

Actually he really didn't nail it! Pettigrew is very much know for his pass catching. The guy catches everything thrown to him and has very soft hands. He is isn't know for speed and threatening the deep middle, but the guy knows how to get open and he doesn't drop the ball when it's thrown to him.

It just also so happens that the guy can block quality DEs like a left tackle, too. That's why everyone wants the guy. He is an every down TE, not some glorified slot receiver. Most of the tight ends that are mentioned after Pettigrew can't and/or don't block.

Are you certain they were offered the 21st pick? I could have missed it, but I only remember hearing they were offered #28 and a 3rd rounder, but instead (foolishly) opted for #28 and a 4th and 6th.

When the Peters trade was announced I rememeber reading it in several threads as well as in a couple of articles. I was stunned that the FO thought the extra pick next year was more valuable than the better draft position this year. Just like most rumors it's never been confirmed, so you can't really know for certain.

yes pettigrew is good...but you guys would rather take a TE than get a LT LG or DE some real core positions instead of a TE you can get in any round

It depends upon the choices at the other positions. I've never said that Pettigrew is my first choice at 11 (among the realistic choices, he's 3rd), but that he deserves strong consideration.

As for getting a capable TE in any round, the Bills certainly haven't proven they can. Instead, they've just wasted a lot of draft picks trying to do so.

Guest dog14787
I am going to be sick to my stomach if we bring in pettigrew as our numer one pick.. Yes we need a TE.. but seriously you can get a decent TE in the 4th round.. This team would be really stupid not to get everett brown or a OT with the first pick.. We need to fill our core positions and TE is not a need we need to adress first.

I could not agree more with this. The TE position is highly overrated. I challenge anyone to produce a TE draft pick that was worth a first round selection in the pass 20 years ....

Dallas Clark, Tony Gonzalez, Jeremy Shockey, Heath Miller, Ben Watson, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow Jr., just to name a few more recent.

I never said he was. The point I'm making is that everyone whines and complains about how bad Royal was, but they want to replace him on the cheap. Well, maybe that'll work out, but a 3rd or 4th round TE prospect has about the same chance of success as any other 3rd or 4th round choice. In other words, the odds are slim and if you're relying on that guy to start or contribute in year 1, prepare to be disappointed.

You're right, of course, but there are 3 to 5 others who will be available in rounds 2 and 3 who can ran and snag 'em. I've been a big Pettigrew fan but maybe we should wait till the 2nd round and draft one of those 4.5 something guys who'll run routes that a LB won't have a chance to cover.

The trick would be to drink salt water before the draft. This will induce vomiting, and by the time the Pettigrew pick happens, your stomach will be empty and tired. Just some advice.

If the top 4 LTs are gone, Pettigrew is pretty likely.

Coffman can't block. Novacek was excellent. Pettigrew is a lot closer to Novacek than Coffman is.

The problem is, TE is so deep in this draft and Pettigrew isn't known for his pass catching. If he's going to stay in and block a lot, then fine. But don't try to make him into T-Gon. And try not to take him at #11 when there's no chance of anyone else taking him until the 20's.

He'll probably be gone by 15, and 20 at the latest. I'd bet money on it.