Wine in Grocery Stores

Chef Jim

There's a article in the current issue of Wine Spectator regarding Gov Paterson wanting to allow wine sales in grocery stores. I didn't know you couldn't buy wine in grocery stores in NY. Here in CA not only wine but liquor. There are some stores out here with walk in wine cellars inside them. I'm surprised the NY wine lobby hasn't pushed for this sooner.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a article in the current issue of Wine Spectator regarding Gov Paterson wanting to allow wine sales in grocery stores. I didn't know you couldn't buy wine in grocery stores in NY. Here in CA not only wine but liquor. There are some stores out here with walk in wine cellars inside them. I'm surprised the NY wine lobby hasn't pushed for this sooner.

One of the great things about moving to California, was (if it was necessary) being able to buy wine and booze, on Sunday morning, at the corner bodega before the 10AM kickoff. NYS has relaxed some of their Blue Laws, but they are still behind, unfortunately. At least liquor stores can open on Sunday, now.

Buying wine in a grocery store is like buying art at Target.

:thumbsup::beer:

Many grocery stores, and even corner bodegas, carry excellent wine, in California. Two of my favorite markets in SF, Tower Market and Ashbury Market have excellent wine selections.

Given your condition on a "drunken bus trip", it's not much of a stretch to believe it wasn't your first go around at the rodeo. Add to that the stories you told then and the "life experiences" you allude to, it's not exactly a stretch.

You're a parody of the dude you try to pull off. No one is buying. Not even you.

One of the great things about moving to California, was (if it was necessary) being able to buy wine and booze, on Sunday morning, at the corner bodega before the 10AM kickoff. NYS has relaxed some of their Blue Laws, but they are still behind, unfortunately. At least liquor stores can open on Sunday, now.

Now some of your posts make more sense. Dos "10 AM kickoff" refer to football,or something you do year round? :thumbsup:

The last two aisles of most supermarkets here are all wine and hard liquor. Big selection.

Was in Lodi, CA last weekend and we got a local wine at a supermarket at 9:30 PM to take back to the hotel. Was pretty good.

Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH. Wine, booze, beer, tobacco.

No wine or booze before 1 PM on Sunday, though. My guess is that the wine&booze makers don't grease political palms as well as the beer makers.

http://www.junglejims.com/departments/jung...er_and_wine.asp

The Meijer's that I grocery shop at has a decent wind selection - no hard liquor, though - just those 40% diluted pints and quarts of cheap gin and vodka.

:thumbsup::beer:

Many grocery stores, and even corner bodegas, carry excellent wine, in California. Two of my favorite markets in SF, Tower Market and Ashbury Market have excellent wine selections.

My aunt/uncle lived 3 blocks from that place for about 30 years. Good area to visit.

Did not pass on budget vote .

Ok, NY is not officially governed by dumb !@#$s. :thumbsup:

What was their reasoning? They have an opportunity to increase revenue and they say no. Now if it included some sort of spending package it's probably safe to assume it would have passed with flying colors.

So does Target. :thumbsup:

I just noticed that Target up here has wine. The one we went to in soCal didn't. If one of your biggest agricultural products is wine find the easiest way to sell it. Fuggin' NY. I mean hell you can buy it here in gas stations. A car wash I went to in OC had a full blown wine section.

Ok, NY is not officially governed by dumb !@#$s. :thumbsup:

What was their reasoning? They have an opportunity to increase revenue and they say no. Now if it included some sort of spending package it's probably safe to assume it would have passed with flying colors.

Tremendous lobby by the liquor stores ensured the bill would be DOA. As you know, most of those stores are small "Mom & Pop" businesses that would suffer greatly if large chains like Wegman's sold wine. Also, some of the smaller wineries were against it, fearing that larger supermarkets would stock large quantities the most popular and well-known wines (Mondavi, Gallo, Ravenswood, etc.) and almost none of the very fine but more obscure wines from NYS and other regions.

I just noticed that Target up here has wine. The one we went to in soCal didn't. If one of your biggest agricultural products is wine find the easiest way to sell it. Fuggin' NY. I mean hell you can buy it here in gas stations. A car wash I went to in OC had a full blown wine section.

Exactly. We definitely have an overabundance of wine out here. :thumbsup::censored:

Tremendous lobby by the liquor stores ensured the bill would be DOA. As you know, most of those stores are small "Mom & Pop" businesses that would suffer greatly if large chains like Wegman's sold wine. Also, some of the smaller wineries were against it, fearing that larger supermarkets would stock large quantities the most popular and well-known wines (Mondavi, Gallo, Ravenswood, etc.) and almost none of the very fine but more obscure wines from NYS and other regions.

The smaller winery lobby probably is not a reason. Let's be serious here, how much of their wine is actually sold in liquor stores to begin with? Most of their wine is sold at the winery itself or through wine clubs. The mom and pop arguement is a bad one too. As we've mentioned there are plenty of grocery stores here in CA selling wine, but we still have mom and pop run liquor stores on every corner. NY screwed the pooch on this one.

:thumbsup::censored:

I've lived in CA for 25 years...come on deano smarten up--you know that grocery stores dilute the wine they sell--you can see the syringe marks