Wine in Grocery Stores

Chef Jim

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that there are no rural parts of CA. If so you're absolutely wrong. I think the main difference is that he CA in a "liquor" store the smallest concentration of items is actually liquor.

Yeah, I deal in absolutes most of the time. :thumbdown:

Of course there are no "rural parts of California". :lol:

I guess I didn't live there for 5 years.

New York is a dying state. California isn't. Anything that gives big companies another advantage in a place like New York is an all but guaranteed killer of a small business segment because they're barely holding on there as it is.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in GA one can buy wine at a grocery store six days a week. No alcohol sales on Sunday. Period. It came up again a year or so back and our governor said something like "I don't think Georgia is ready for that."

Yeah...I'm hoping bj's get voted in sometime before 2020.

FWIW I think Perdue is an asshat. The whole pray for rain crap at the state capitol sealed the deal for me. I love my job here (so moving isn't an option right now) and I like Atlanta, but it's going to put my blood pressure through the roof. "Serenity Now!!!"

In all honesty, I think NYS wineries (large and small) would do better, if Wegmans and Tops, etc, sold wine. Here in Florida, the big Supermarkets in Florida sell a s#itload of wine from the local winery in St Augustine, San Sebastian Winery. Really nice people own it. Really below-average, and not worth the money wine, IMO. But, the markets use the local wine/Florida thing to their advantage.

With that said, I can imagine the smaller wineries being against it because it is change, change is risk...etc. They probably have nice relationships with their "friendly" liquor stores that do a good job selling their wine.

The Finger Lakes wineries would LOVE to have the supermarkets sell their wine - they would do incredibly well.

The wine distribution business is an absolute racket - and in most states is controlled by the liquor wholesalers who a) are absolute crooks and b) don't want anything that could possibly hurt their stranglehold on every bottle of wine or liquor that comes into a state.

In tennessee last year there was a bill that would have loosened the restrictions of shipping wine from out of state. Some group was created and started lobbying against it, calling themselves something like "parents against kids with alcohol" or somethin stupid. They said that kids would suddenly by tons of wine online (yeah right) - turns out the group was entirely funded by the wholesalers...

Last weekend I was in Lodi and Galt, CA (between Stockton and Sacramento). Almost all of agricultural land there is vineyards. There are at least 3 or 4 dozen wineries in the area. The supermarket we bought wine at 9:30 PM Saturday night had one whole shelf with local wines. Seems that having wine sold at Safeway and other supermarkets hasn't hurt them at all.

I live next to Livermore, CA and there are 40+ wineries just in that town alone. You can find wine from almost all the wineries in the supermarkets.

Yeah...I'm hoping bj's get voted in sometime before 2020.

FWIW I think Perdue is an asshat. The whole pray for rain crap at the state capitol sealed the deal for me. I love my job here (so moving isn't an option right now) and I like Atlanta, but it's going to put my blood pressure through the roof. "Serenity Now!!!"

Yeah, he's the embodiment of the "show up at the Baptist Church to be seen by the neighbors" southerner. That pray for rain stuff was just embarrassing. In the time I've been here, we've had that, stickers on text books reminding students that evolution is a theory, and a ten commandments issue. I just missed the no-gays-in-Cobb-county bit.

The alcohol thing isn't even about convenience. It is a largely a Protestant routine. I can just picture the whole "a good Christian man wouldn't drink on the Lord's day" conversation happening with each Governor we've had.

Look at it this way, most of the illegals moving into the area are probably of Catholic upbringing, so in about 3 years, Perdue's crowd is likely to be the minority! :thumbsup:

That's ironic. New Hampshire is considering the same arrangement. We have state liquor stores too, only ours are located at interstate rest stops! :rolleyes: Remember kid's, don't drink and drive...and by the way there's a sale on Cuervo this week.

PTR

And this is why all of New England goes to New Hampshire to buy their booze. :w00t:

BTW, I know this is a bit off-topic, but the Tavern League in Wisconsin is so powerful that liquor stores there close at 9:00 P.M. The bars close at 2:30 A.M. The Tavern League would rather you spend your paycheck at the corner bar than at the liquor store. And Appleton, WI (population: 70,000) has more bars than Memphis, a city with 10 times the population.

The Tavern League is the same organization that has fought off every challenge to change Wisconsin's drunk-driving laws. However, there is a new effort afoot to add some teeth to the penalties to drunk driving there.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has run a series of reports on the drinking culture in America's Dairyland (and the influence of the Tavern League) called Wasted in Wisconsin. It's actually a pretty good read, if you have the time.

BTW, I know this is a bit off-topic, but the Tavern League in Wisconsin is so powerful that liquor stores there close at 9:00 P.M. The bars close at 2:30 A.M. The Tavern League would rather you spend your paycheck at the corner bar than at the liquor store. And Appleton, WI (population: 70,000) has more bars than Memphis, a city with 10 times the population.

The Tavern League is the same organization that has fought off every challenge to change Wisconsin's drunk-driving laws. However, there is a new effort afoot to add some teeth to the penalties to drunk driving there.

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel has run a series of reports on the drinking culture in America's Dairyland (and the influence of the Tavern League) called Wasted in Wisconsin. It's actually a pretty good read, if you have the time.

Thanks!

"What made Milwaukee famous, made a fool out of me!"

Last weekend I was in Lodi and Galt, CA (between Stockton and Sacramento). Almost all of agricultural land there is vineyards. There are at least 3 or 4 dozen wineries in the area. The supermarket we bought wine at 9:30 PM Saturday night had one whole shelf with local wines. Seems that having wine sold at Safeway and other supermarkets hasn't hurt them at all.

I live next to Livermore, CA and there are 40+ wineries just in that town alone. You can find wine from almost all the wineries in the supermarkets.

I am putting in a 1/4 acre of grapes this week to see how it goes and then a couple of acres next year if all goes well. If in the Ramona area of Southern Cal there are dozens of new wineries popping up each month, mine included. Check them out if you can, becoming the Napa area south.

I am putting in a 1/4 acre of grapes this week to see how it goes and then a couple of acres next year if all goes well. If in the Ramona area of Southern Cal there are dozens of new wineries popping up each month, mine included. Check them out if you can, becoming the Napa area south.

Let's not get carried away. :lol: