Who Do You Think Are Some Of The Most Underrated Guitar Players.

Steely Dan

The two I get off the top of my head are Lindsay Buckingham and Mike Campbell.

Lindsay Buckingham is from Fleetwood Mac for those who don't know and Mike Campbell is the Heartbreakers lead guitarist.

BTW, How Buckingham and Nicks ended up in FM is kind of interesting. After Bob Welch left the band they were looking for a new guitarist. Mick Fleetwood walked into a studio to talk to a friend who was mixing some stuff from the Buckingham/Nicks album and Mick asked who the guitarist was. It was Buckingham and Mick asked the friend if he thought the guy might be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac. His friend told him that he wouldn't come without his girlfriend (Stevie Nicks) most likely.

Fleetwood Mac never auditions people they want in the band they just invite them or people are recommended to them. (i.e. Bob Welch) So they decided to meet them for dinner. Mick and John told Christine that if she didn't want the girl in the band they would go in another direction. Christine got along really well with Stevie and as they say the rest is history.

Mike Campbell's best work is on songs like "Here Comes My Girl" great riff.

Too many draft posts this week I thought this might be a fun distraction. :rolleyes:

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please list the bands they play for. Thanks

Albert King was just "Albert King," like BB King or Stevie Wonder... as far as I know he just had a back-up band, and was never part of a named group (please correct me if I am wrong). McCready plays for Pearl Jam.

Prince.

The guy may be a weird little gnome, but there's no denying that he has incredible musical ability in terms of his ability to play numerous instruments, write music, arrange music, and also sing. But his guitar playing is outstanding.

Prince.

The guy may be a weird little gnome, but there's no denying that he has incredible musical ability in terms of his ability to play numerous instruments, write music, arrange music, and also sing. But his guitar playing is outstanding.

Good one. Prince is a great guitarist.

I'd also like to add Adrian Belew of King Crimson, Nils Lofgren of the E-Street Band and Peter Green founder of Fleetwood Mac.

Prince.

Rolling Stone seems to agree.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/inde...ted-guitarists/

Phil Keaggy is on that list and I have to agree, he did a guest appearance when Dispatch came back for their final shows. It was pretty sick.

I don't think he was necessarily underrated in his time - but Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits I think has been overlooked/forgotten over time.

I don't think he was necessarily underrated in his time - but Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits I think has been overlooked/forgotten over time.

They did seem to drop off the map pretty quickly considering how big they were in the '80s.

Prince.

As a fellow Gnome I officially agree with the Above statement.

But to add my own I would say John Frusciante the on again, off again guitarist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers is someone who is underrated. Just listen to the album "One Hot Minute" which had Dave Navarro of Jane's Addiction playing the six string after John Frusciante quit. The only decent song that album had was a cover of the Ohio Players "Love Rollercoaster" which graced the Beavis and Butthead movie/soundtrack.