PFT: league source says best trade for Philly in 10 yrs

jahnyc

If that were really the case, then shame on the other 30 teams for not lining up to better Philly's offer. If the Bills really got so robbed, shouldn't one of the other teams picking in the top 27 have stepped up to the plate?

That is perhaps the best post of the last few days about this deal. If he was so great, why is Philly the only one willing to step up?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog14787

Maybe I'm wrong for looking at it this way, but in my opinion we just couldn't out bid the Eagles for Jason Peters services much like if he was a FA. Getting two decent picks because of it is just an added bonus.

The Eagles can call it a good trade all they want, but to me its not much different then obtaining Peters on the open market.

If that were really the case, then shame on the other 30 teams for not lining up to better Philly's offer. If the Bills really got so robbed, shouldn't one of the other teams picking in the top 27 have stepped up to the plate?

If I am dealing with someone who feels that my LT is the best LT in the game, I better get more than essentially a 2nd round pick and a 4th rounder. I don't care about the other 30 teams.

If I am dealing with someone who feels that my LT is the best LT in the game, I better get more than essentially a 2nd round pick and a 4th rounder. I don't care about the other 30 teams.

I seriously doubt the Eagles told the Bills "he's the best LT in the game!" I bet it was more like "we like Peters, but look, he gave up 11.5 sacks last year, got injured, and couldn't even play in the Pro Bowl. And he wants crazy money. We're taking a risk here." And that my friends, is how the Eagles get enough leverage to not give-up their 21st pick, much less both 1st rounders.

The quote was that Philly made the best trade in the last 10 years. The title of my post was misleading, it is not Philly's best trade in the last 10 years (but, again, the best overall trade in the NFL in the last 10 years).

Based on potential. The Mike Williams pick at #4 was a sure-fire, can't-miss home hun. Jerry Sullivan said so in his column.

PTR

I seriously doubt the Eagles told the Bills "he's the best LT in the game!" I bet it was more like "we like Peters, but look, he gave up 11.5 sacks last year, got injured, and couldn't even play in the Pro Bowl. And he wants crazy money. We're taking a risk here." And that my friends, is how the Eagles get enough leverage to not give-up their 21st pick, much less both 1st rounders.

As a negotiator, it's incumbent on your to know your opposition's position. Especially in the pros. But of course, we have an organization where Ralph's accountant has more pull than the best GM we've ever had (Polian). So I don't think OBD is filled with the NFL's best and brightest.

I do think Brandon is a good marketing guy, though. Everyone else gets a "meh."

Its just another instance of giving away our homegrown talent for cheap. In 2 yrs when LT's are making 15 million/season, the Peters deal will look like a bargain. After hearing how enamoured Banner and Reid are with Peters, I think had Brandon stuck to his guns, we would have gotten a better deal. He is clearly a friggin Dufus when it come to being a hardline negotiator. We overpay Kelsay, then ut-oh, schobel is upset, lets over pay him too. Lets bring in Mckelvin and sign him to a shorter than usual 1st rd deal. Ut-oh, our starting LT with 2 yrs left on his contract is upset, lets trade him for less than market value, otherwise he may hold out and accrue 600k in fines, real scary.

Brandon is obviously in over his head and getting pushed around by these player agents. Agents must lick their chops when it comes to Brandon. He has overpaid for avg talent, and undersold our in house talent.

You, Sir, are flawed in your thinking...because you left out the Dockery Debacle. :)

Otherwise, your analysis was uncomfortably accurate.

Man am I nauseous over this team and front office.

I don't think Peters will fail miserably in Philly. The Eagles have more talent on the o-line than the Bills, a good offensive system and coaching, and a pretty good veteran quarterback. This should set up Peters for the potential for success with the Eagles. He will be facing strong defenses with the Giants and the Cowboys, which could pose challenges for him.

After listening to some of his interviews, I would be more concerned that he will have difficulty handling the Philly press and fans. He is not coming across well, and I would have limited his access to the press.

I am also starting to wonder whether Peters is the type that can be easily manipulated, particularly by an agent (i.e., Parker). It would explain a lot.

A source! A source said something! An anonymous source said something! Now we should doubt the move! Oh No! Maybe it's NOT such a good idea to get value for a guy who disrespects his team and coaches and organization! Maybe it's NOT such a good idea to get value for a guy that had One Good Season and thinks he deserves to be the highest paid LT in the game. Because...because...a source said something!

His anonymous source is Peter's agent.

And posts will not vanish PTR for I dealt with the RJ zombies and will bump the posts reminding them of what Chicken Littles posted.

I think a lot of people overlook some things: this guy admitted he didn't perform as well as he could have - he held back - and didn't come in prepared when he knew he was being counted on by his whole team. Because he was dissatisfied by a contract he signed willingly, he made his whole team suffer the consequences. Then he gave them a lousy year, and immediately began his fit again. Why would the Bills want a guy like this on their team? Teams like the Patriots, who have guys devoted to one thing - namely, winning - would not want this character on their team, and I'm glad he's gone. We need guys, regardless of their potential, that are coming in every day doing their all for this team, and for the fans, and for a chance to be the best. That wasn't Peters. I think the Bills did a smart move by trading him, but I think they could've gotten a little more if they had waited. Perhaps, though, they needed to do it now to solidify their planning...who knows? The only thing that will determine if they can recoup from this is if their draft picks and F.A. signings work out over the next few years. Still, though, I'm glad they got rid of this guy. He was a cancer for this team.

After last season (or for his entire career for that matter), I seriously doubt anyone who gets paid to think so, thinks he is the best LT in football. The Eagles would have said that if they signed Dockery, just to appease the fans and sell tickets. That "essentially a 2nd round pick" you speak of, is higher than we drafted almost everyone on our roster with the exception of 4 players (Lynch, Whitner, Evans and McKelvin). The got all they could for a malcontent, lazy, money motivated underachiever, that not a single team in the league besides the Eagles were even considering.

The quote was that Philly made the best trade in the last 10 years. The title of my post was misleading, it is not Philly's best trade in the last 10 years (but, again, the best overall trade in the NFL in the last 10 years).

Randy Moss went to NE only to break the season TD record his first year... and he cost, what was it, a 4th round pick?

It's amazing how many of these arguements revolve around what people think will happen. Not what actually happened. When Peters fails miserably in Philly these posts will just vanish from memory.

PTR

That's why we have the archive feature... :ph34r:

The Bills were carved up for the Spikes deal to the Eagles, especially after the Darwin Walker fiasco. Well, lo and behold, Spikes got cut after a year, Walker gets traded and sucks in Chicago, and the Bills get a 5th rounder that they used in their package to get Stroud.

The dumbest thing is to completely overreact to the trade now. If Peters plays like a dominant franchise LT, it is probably a bad trade. However, he plays close to the level he did last year and the bills get a potential pro bowl talent like Mack and another player (McGee was picked in the 4th) or for trade bait, it looks like a pretty good deal for the Bills.

So in all odds, the true value of the trade won't be known for a few years.

Long-time NFL offensive line coach Jim McNally calls Jason Peters "the most devastating blocker and pass-protector I've ever coached" outside of Hall of Famer Anthony Munoz.

McNally opined that Peters pouted in Buffalo because the Bills handed out big money to lesser talents Derrick Dockery and Langston Walker while letting their franchise player twist in the wind. According to ProFootballTalk, one league source believes the Eagles just made the best trade in the last 10 years of the NFL..

mcnally's right, our running game sucked until peters got in shape last season. you dopes who like high motor guys like that pos poz and that overrated piece of crap schoebel are going to disappointed this season

mcnally's right, our running game sucked until peters got in shape last season. you dopes who like high motor guys like that pos poz and that overrated piece of crap schoebel are going to disappointed this season

This post reeks of ignorance and twelve year old fingers.