Banning of dodgeball

BuffaloBill

There is a movement underfoot to ban dodgeball from U.S. schools. Those against it argue that it is a form of recognized or sanctioned bullying.

As a kid that was at best middle of the road at dodgeball and realistically sucked this idea is pure stupidity. Failing to let kids earn from competitive situations is stupid. While I had little chance to win in dodgeball I could equally screw up the curve on a test because I had intellect. What's next? No grades because the kids less intelligent can't do well on tests?

All of this is stupid.

What do you think?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a movement underfoot to ban dodgeball from U.S. schools. Those against it argue that it is a form of recognized or sanctioned bullying.

As a kid that was at best middle of the road at dodgeball and realistically sucked this idea is pure stupidity. Failing to let kids earn from competitive situations is stupid. While I had little chance to win in dodgeball I could equally screw up the curve on a test because I had intellect. What's next? No grades because the kids less intelligent can't do well on tests?

All of this is stupid.

What do you think?

I am with you on this. It's stupid to ban dodgeball. I don't see it as bullying in anyway,it's really more of a sport than anything else. Me and you are opposites I guess,I kicked ass at dodgeball and sucked at tests.

I went to a relatively small school, but myself and a buddy of mine were both among the biggest in our class. We were both 6'2" and over 225lb, and we tried to get the better of the other one nearly every day. Unfortunately for some of the smaller, more frail kids in the class, they were usually getting caught in the middle of the ongoing competition. On dodgeball day, we sent more kids to the nurse with huge throbbing lumps on the side of their heads than you could possibly believe. It's not that we were aiming for their heads, cause usually it was a head-riccochet that someone else inevitably caught to get one of us eliminated. We always aimed low, but the dumbasses would duck and get their head in the path of the ball instead of just taking a torso shot.

This one poor kid still had a raging acne issue deep into senior year, and he took one to the face so hard that all the zits were just pulsating on his swollen red face. I still remember the sound the ball made when it made contact...lol

Dodgeball rules.

They shouldn't just ban dodgeball

They should let the kids play. But when one kid throws the ball and hits another kid, the game should time out while the thrower tells his target what he likes about them, so the target's self esteem is not bruised. And the target should not be required to leave the game, they should just have to pay a carbon credit

....On dodgeball day, we sent more kids to the nurse with huge throbbing lumps on the side of their heads than you could possibly believe. It's not that we were aiming for their heads, cause usually it was a head-riccochet that someone else inevitably caught to get one of us eliminated. We always aimed low, but the dumbasses would duck and get their head in the path of the ball instead of just taking a torso shot....

Lumps? What were you guys throwing? Basketballs?

Dear nerds:

If you don't want to get hit in the face with a dodgeball, just stay in the back. When a stray ball rolls near you, pick it up. Toss it gently over to the other side so somebody can easily catch it. Now go sit down and wait for the start of the next game. It's not that hard. Christ, I thought you were supposed to be smart or something. You think dodgeball is barbaric? Ha! I'll tell you what's barbaric: Your life, if you don't learn how to protect yourself.

Also, please don't go home and cry to your mom. We like playing dodgeball.

Thank you,

The other kids

Remember, there's a school out here (actually about two miles from my work) that has banned the game of tag!! It's a K through 12 school and my son's JV baseball team just lost to them last week. To build up my son's self-esteem, I made fun of his team for losing to a school full or molly-coddled boys who couldn't play tag growing up. :thumbsup:

* before some of the newbs around here rush to judgement on me once again... that was sarcasm kids... I didn't make fun of his team, I just laughed directly at my son. *

HBO's Real Sports just did a piece on this. It's get's even worse than just banning dodgeball, there is a elementary school where they have altered the classic playground game of tag where you don't actually tag the other person but you step on their shadow. This school has actually gone so far as to not allow any touching whatsoever. With hi-fives the children are told to stop short of making contact with the other hand. It's pathetic. There are gym teachers that teach jump roping without the rope! As one person aptly put it in the piece, the wussification of our nations children continues.

The OP said it's a santioned form of bullying -- nothing about self esteem -- and I can see how that could happen.

In baseball,l you pitch to the kid, he swings, misses, done.

But in dodgeball, you can easily target one specific person and the whole goal is try to whip the ball as hard as you can at him. Get several people on your team targeting one specific person, and it's bullying.

Nothing like that ever happened at my school - but I'm sure it does happen. Banning might be a bit extreme, but you're being naive if you don't think it can be used as a way to bully and if you think it's all about self esteem.

Nothing like that ever happened at my school - but I'm sure it does happen. Banning might be a bit extreme, but you're being naive if you don't think it can be used as a way to bully and if you think it's all about self esteem.

So what? Teach your kid to stand up for themselves. That will do a lot more for their self esteem than passing idiotic rules about tag and dodgeball.

Didn't anyone ever see the Brady Bunch episode where the bully was picking on Cindy so Peter kicked his ass?

So what? Teach your kid to stand up for themselves. That will do a lot more for their self esteem than passing idiotic rules about tag and dodgeball.

Didn't anyone ever see the Brady Bunch episode where the bully was picking on Cindy so Peter kicked his ass?

Well then let's allow fights on school property -- that'll teach them to stand up for themselves too, right? Hell, let's have sanctioned Fight Clubs at school! Lord of the Flies! :thumbsup:

I remember dodgeball being pretty brutal when I was in high school. The game was banned for some time because one of the kids cowering in the back got nailed in the head so hard that he fell against the bleachers and was knocked out cold. We would always go after the ones that tried to hide in the back. Take out the weakest first.

Well then let's allow fights on school property -- that'll teach them to stand up for themselves too, right? Hell, let's have sanctioned Fight Clubs at school! Lord of the Flies! :thumbsup:

Yes, that's right. Take your argument to a ridiculous extreme that nobody is advocating when you don't have any other way to make your point. :wallbash:

Yes, that's right. Take your argument to a ridiculous extreme that nobody is advocating when you don't have any other way to make your point. :thumbsup:

Real life story, would be my guess KD :wallbash:

But in dodgeball, you can easily target one specific person and the whole goal is try to whip the ball as hard as you can at him. Get several people on your team targeting one specific person, and it's bullying.

Real life story, would be my guess KD :thumbsup:

I know I'm getting old and my memory is hazy at times, but isn't this:

in dodgeball, you can easily target one specific person and the whole goal is try to whip the ball as hard as you can at him

the ENTIRE POINT OF THE GAME??? Once you whip the ball and hit each person on the opposing team, you win, no?

I don't recall ever playing a dodgeball game where all the cool kids just stopped playing once the nerds were 'out'. In the end, everyone gets hit.