Banning of dodgeball

BuffaloBill

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That said, how one could defend dodgeball is beyond me. Why not just bring back smeer the queer again?

Smear the queer was a great game! When there wasn't enough guys to have a good pickup game you just play smear the queer. And every now and then somebody calls "dogpile!" and the poor sap carrying the ball gets buried under every man on the field. Man,I wish I was a kid again.

Smear the queer was a great game! When there wasn't enough guys to have a good pickup game you just play smear the queer. And every now and then somebody calls "dogpile!" and the guy carrying the ball gets buried under every man on the field. Man,I wish I was a kid again.

I was the smallest kid in 6th grade, but 'smear the queer' (aka 'kill the carrier') at recess was still a blast. How did you guys decide who carried the football next? We just threw it up for grabs.

I was the smallest kid in 6th grade, but 'smear the queer' (aka 'kill the carrier') at recess was still a blast. How did you guys decide who carried the football next? We just threw it up for grabs.

Yeah,throw it up for grabs. Usually just as the ball carrier got hit.

Yeah,throw it up for grabs. Usually just as the ball carrier got hit.

Unlike the pansies in this thread, I always though STQ was a great equalizer. On the playground we'd have like 30 guys playing, so even the best athlete didn't survive long before he got cornered and smeared!

Yeah being a kid a great....out all day during the summer playing football, stickball, wiffleball, street hockey, etc. Good times.

Another project that I am proud of is a small school in Northern Florida that last year replaced speedball with Maypole dancing. I have 3 more schools that are set to add this to the PE curriculum for the 2009-10 school year. This is already common in the UK, where potentially violent school activities were replaced years ago: http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/res/282.$plit/C_...05231_Image.jpg

I hate all you MF'ers!!!! :wallbash:

I was THE scrawny kid with zero arm strength, who tripped over his own feet, so "dodging" was not an option.

Dodgeball ruined my life! I hate you all!!!!

That's why you surprise these punks by catching the ball. That's what I did. Put them in their place! :censored: Yeah, I wasn't gonna let them think that they can take down a tall skinny girl like me! Fooled them. :lol:

That's why you surprise these punks by catching the ball. That's what I did. Put them in their place! :censored: Yeah, I wasn't gonna let them think that they can take down a tall skinny girl like me! Fooled them. :wallbash:

yeah right...you were probably like that girl in that youtube link I provided. :lol:

Unlike the pansies in this thread, I always though STQ was a great equalizer. On the playground we'd have like 30 guys playing, so even the best athlete didn't survive long before he got cornered and smeared!

Yeah being a kid a great....out all day during the summer playing football, stickball, wiffleball, street hockey, etc. Good times.

I'll still go out and participate in some stuff with my younger kids. We live right next to a park,so I can just step out the front door and jump in. Problem is,I usually come limping back home a short time later.

I'm waiting for some psycho parent to get some 6 year old labeled a sex offender because their daughter got tagged by a boy.

It's already happened - six-year olds have been accused of sexual harrassment of classmates before.

Lumps? What were you guys throwing? Basketballs?

My gym class used volleyballs, and we called it 'slaughterball' instead of dodgeball. Built character.

Guessing they've probably at least changed the name since then ...

Plans are in motion for some of our inner city schools to replace flag football with musical gardening. By playing classical music for students while they prune trees and shrubs, weed gardens, and plant flowers we are able to create a healthy environment for learning, bonding and building self-esteem.

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

um, I mean....that's AWFUL!

What really sucked was that by the time they lifted the ban in my junior year I was a pitcher on the baseball team and the gym teacher was instructed by our coach not to let us play dodgeball.

It's a well-known fact that Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold were motivated in part by the pressures of the dodge-ball field of play. Columbine never would have happened if competetive gym activities were replaced with a 45-minute group hug.

I believe I'm just as funny as I think I am. That said, how one could defend dodgeball is beyond me. Why not just bring back smeer the queer again? We are supposed to be an evolving society, and nothing harkens back to times of brutal discrimination like these games which teach our children to celebrate persecuting the weak.

You have a long way to go if you want to be considered Crayons Part II.

My gym class used volleyballs, and we called it 'slaughterball' instead of dodgeball. Built character.

Guessing they've probably at least changed the name since then ...

We played "slap-tag" in high school. "It" was in the circle of the basketball markings, then had to leave the circle and hop on one foot. When they tagged someone, that new one could run back to the circle, but all others could whack them as hard as they liked with an open hand along the way - but not in the head.

You didn't want to get caught in the corner.

4 years of PE in high school was what it was back then, following on from grade school. You started out with a run around the gym. Then jumping jacks, then squat thrusts, then push-ups. Every three or four days, running across the gym as fast as possible, grabbing Indian clubs to get the agility tuned up. It worked - I can recall few classmates through the years that one might say were chubby. Of course, that was long before so many meals were consumed out of the home.

I had to take swimming my soph year, and the coach would line up the non-swimmers on the deep end, faced towards the water, and walk back and forth shoving in this or that one. :lol:

We swimmers had those long bamboo pole to fish 'em out. End of the year, everybody knew how to swim. We didn't wear trunks - could you imagine that these days? :wallbash:

We had the "throw the ball up" rule as well. However, if you threw the ball before you got hit, or tried to shy away from catching it, that was grounds for a pounding, ball or not. Usually if you tossed the ball before getting hit, the ball was ignored until you were a part of the landscape.

Like you, i was small through most of high school since i hit my growth spurt late. But, dodgeball, smear the queer gave you a change to fight for your place. Taking your lumps and getting up earned respect with the bigger/older kids.