Banning of dodgeball

BuffaloBill

Yes, that's right. Take your argument to a ridiculous extreme that nobody is advocating when you don't have any other way to make your point. :thumbsup:

Read the post above yours -- targetting the weak kids and trying to take them out. Now tell me how trying to nail the kid in the head to knock him out is different than throwing a punch and trying to knock him out?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm getting old and my memory is hazy at times, but isn't this:

the ENTIRE POINT OF THE GAME??? Once you whip the ball and hit each person on the opposing team, you win, no?

I don't recall ever playing a dodgeball game where all the cool kids just stopped playing once the nerds were 'out'. In the end, everyone gets hit.

You complain about my post being over the top, yet you pick and choose what you read from mine?

"Nothing like that ever happened at my school - but I'm sure it does happen. Banning might be a bit extreme, but you're being naive if you don't think it can be used as a way to bully and if you think it's all about self esteem."

HBO's Real Sports just did a piece on this. It's get's even worse than just banning dodgeball, there is a elementary school where they have altered the classic playground game of tag where you don't actually tag the other person but you step on their shadow. This school has actually gone so far as to not allow any touching whatsoever. With hi-fives the children are told to stop short of making contact with the other hand. It's pathetic. There are gym teachers that teach jump roping without the rope! As one person aptly put it in the piece, the wussification of our nations children continues.

I'm waiting for some psycho parent to get some 6 year old labeled a sex offender because their daughter got tagged by a boy.

You complain about my post being over the top, yet you pick and choose what you read from mine?

"Nothing like that ever happened at my school - but I'm sure it does happen. Banning might be a bit extreme, but you're being naive if you don't think it can be used as a way to bully and if you think it's all about self esteem."

If a kid is being "bullied" by getting dodgeballs thrown at him, he needs to friggin nut up and learn how to catch the ball. Or throw it back harder. That will stop him from being a target.

And as KD said, sure the weaklings are targeted first, but after that, we were throwing just as hard and aiming for the heads of the "athletic" kids left.

Lumps? What were you guys throwing? Basketballs?

Most of them were made of a pretty soft rubber type substance, but a few of them were a bit most substantial lol

I remember dodgeball being pretty brutal when I was in high school. The game was banned for some time because one of the kids cowering in the back got nailed in the head so hard that he fell against the bleachers and was knocked out cold. We would always go after the ones that tried to hide in the back. Take out the weakest first.

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<

um, I mean....that's AWFUL!

There is a movement underfoot to ban dodgeball from U.S. schools. Those against it argue that it is a form of recognized or sanctioned bullying.

As a kid that was at best middle of the road at dodgeball and realistically sucked this idea is pure stupidity. Failing to let kids earn from competitive situations is stupid. While I had little chance to win in dodgeball I could equally screw up the curve on a test because I had intellect. What's next? No grades because the kids less intelligent can't do well on tests?

All of this is stupid.

What do you think?

I'm currently a Phys. Ed. major so I hear plenty of this dodgeball nonsense. IMO, I find nothing wrong with a little dodgeball in the classroom, because I grew up playing dodgeball just like almost everyone else. Many teachers are starting to modify the game using gatorskin balls, which are very soft, but harder to manipulate than say a kickball. This evens out the playing field because the balls curve all over the place, so even the most athletic students can't perfectly aim the ball.

There are many new types of dodgeball games as well, I actually observed with a teacher last semester who created a game where he put up the gymnastics mats around the room, but set them up as actually walls and hiding spots, sort of like a paintball arena. Then it was basically a free-for-all and the kids went nuts and were loving every minute of it. I may even have chucked a few balls at some youngsters. <_<

I'm waiting for some psycho parent to get some 6 year old labeled a sex offender because their daughter got tagged by a boy.

Many teachers are now modifying the game of tag so that you have to tag the person with a ball or a foam stick so that the teacher can protect themselves from those types of situations. I had an entire class on "outdoor/cooperative activities", which was basically learning hundreds of tag games and other small group activities for kids. You wouldn't believe how many forms of tag are actually out there, it's unbelievable.

Have to agree with Fezmid. Dodgeball is a license for the strong kids to bully weaker, less athletic kids. What is gained from having a ball whizzed into a kids face? Dodgeball should have been banned a long time ago, as should tag and capture the flag, for that matter. Activities like line dancing, yoga and aerobic walking would help kids stay in shape and have fun without all the bullying and blood lust.

Have to agree with Fezmid. Dodgeball is a license for the strong kids to bully weaker, less athletic kids. What is gained from having a ball whizzed into a kids face? Dodgeball should have been banned a long time ago, as should tag and capture the flag, for that matter. Activities like line dancing, yoga and aerobic walking would help kids stay in shape and have fun without all the bullying and blood lust.

A way too thinly veiled attempt. There is only one crayonz.

Activities like line dancing, yoga and aerobic walking would help kids stay in shape and have fun without all the bullying and blood lust.

Yeah, nothing captures the attention and imagination of a ten year old like yoga! But that's a great plan if we ever want to become a nation of sugar plum fairies.

<_<

It's amazing how some of you guys have absolutely no recollection of what it was like to be a kid.

He's been very active on PPP lately too, telling us about the poor, persecuted pirates.

Yup. its someone's piss poor attempt to cause a stir. He also suggested that the Bills should move to Toronto and we should still root for them like they were in Buffalo. The only problem is, this guys is not nearly as quick-witted or funny as he thinks he is.

They shouldn't just ban dodgeball

They should let the kids play. But when one kid throws the ball and hits another kid, the game should time out while the thrower tells his target what he likes about them, so the target's self esteem is not bruised. And the target should not be required to leave the game, they should just have to pay a carbon credit

<_<

I believe I'm just as funny as I think I am. That said, how one could defend dodgeball is beyond me. Why not just bring back smeer the queer again? We are supposed to be an evolving society, and nothing harkens back to times of brutal discrimination like these games which teach our children to celebrate persecuting the weak.

I believe I'm just as funny as I think I am. That said, how one could defend dodgeball is beyond me. Why not just bring back smeer the queer again? We are supposed to be an evolving society, and nothing harkens back to times of brutal discrimination like these games which teach our children to celebrate persecuting the weak.

Sounds like someone took the brunt end of the smearing and couldn't defend himself.

There is a movement underfoot to ban dodgeball from U.S. schools. Those against it argue that it is a form of recognized or sanctioned bullying.

As a kid that was at best middle of the road at dodgeball and realistically sucked this idea is pure stupidity. Failing to let kids earn from competitive situations is stupid. While I had little chance to win in dodgeball I could equally screw up the curve on a test because I had intellect. What's next? No grades because the kids less intelligent can't do well on tests?

All of this is stupid.

What do you think?

I hate all you MF'ers!!!! :wallbash:

I was THE scrawny kid with zero arm strength, who tripped over his own feet, so "dodging" was not an option.

Dodgeball ruined my life! I hate you all!!!!

I hate all you MF'ers!!!! :wallbash:

I was THE scrawny kid with zero arm strength, who tripped over his own feet, so "dodging" was not an option.

Dodgeball ruined my life! I hate you all!!!!

:lol:

Seems like you turned out ok to me!