T. Graham's new Peters article

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it doesn't. But, neither does the argument that the Bills should just sign a new contract at whatever Peter's agent asks for.

The point is, no FO can just cave to a player's demands. There has to be a negotiation no matter how good or bad a player is. We don't know the whole story, but it seems the Bills' FO has made offers that Parker has flatly refused with little to no negotiation. Parker needs to tell his client to get into Buffalo and play nice, if for no other reaason than just to say.. see Peters wants to be there and get better. The cold shoulder approach is akin to saying FU. Playing hardball didn't work last year. Why will it suddenly work this year?

I agree with the bulk of that. I think the strategy last year was an unfortunate one. by both sides, but primarily Parker. While I think the Bills could have avoided this, at least this year, by stepping up and redoing Peters contract last year, caving to his hold out would have been a mistake, too.

The Bills told Peters, last year, they would negotiate this year, and so far they have held up their end of the bargain. Right now, Peters is not a holdout, as the workouts are voluntary. So, i think we should recognize that, so far, Peters has only held out once, last year, and the Bills are doing what they said they would do.

Best case scenario, they come to an agreement before mandatory team functions. That would relieve the pressure that seems to be building up. If they don't, best case scenario is Peters reports while the contract continues to be negotiated...he and his agent should learn something from the way the Bills conduct business.

When it comes to the numbers, the Bills should be putting together a package that allows Peters to fell loved and lets he and his agent brag, while at the same time building in safeguards for the team. Reasonable risk, with a very high top end, that involves checkpoints along the way, and requires a good work ethic by Peters. If that package pays Peters a little too much, that's fine by me, as he is a guy they really need to sign, to make a run, this year.

The things I find nonsensical about the discussion, are those who claim, Peters sucks, only played one good year, won't work once he gets his money, is an idiot, etc. I also find it offensive when people assume the Bills are too cheap to sign Jason, are forcing Parker's hand, should pay whatever Peters wants, etc.

I agree completely. They've got their price, of course, as with any negotiation, I would suspect they came in low on the initial offer. However, the reason they haven't come to terms yet, is exactly the latter part of the bolded statement. That is.. they're not happy with him. Peter's effort has been less than ideal since he was named a ProBowl, franchise LT. That immediately sends up red flags about his personality and motivations. Is he really the franchise player that we all think he is? Sure he can be. But, will he be once he's paid?

I would suggest his agent hurt him by having him hold out last year. Yes, had he participated in all of last year's activities and truly played at a Probowl level (i.e. not giving up numerous sacks, being in less than ideal shape, and getting injured/not finishing the season again), I think he's well on his way to signing that mega contract right now. And yes, maybe the Bills pay him eventually this off season. But, if they don't and he holds out all off season again - I think he's unlikely to ever get it because he likely has a similar season to 2008 and no way you invest that kind of money in a guy that had a great season 3 years ago followed by 2 average to above average seasons.

As others have suggested, I think if he's in Buffalo, working out, in camp, giving his all to the team then the Bills' FO is more inclined to pay him as they have others. Problem is... Peters has not done that. He's appeared to do the minimum to play well all the while asking for more money.

IMO the reason they havent come to terms yet is not because Peters hasn't shown up, it's that they haven't made their final offer. And Peters side knows it and wants more. They just don't know what that final offer and ceiling is. IMO, it's the right offer, and not only what Peters is worth, but what Peters will sign for, which is slightly more than 10 million a year. The highest paid is over 11 mil. Jordan Gross is just about 10. When the Bills make that offer of slightly over 10, I think he signs and I think he's happy with it. It will make him the second highest paid LT in the game (probably for a year or so until another guy's contract comes up). The Bills are just negotiating and not ready to lay their cards on the table, hoping Parker and Peters lower their demands first. That ain't likely to happen.

There really isn't much indication that Peters is going to tank once he gets the money. His issues last year were not at all a lack of effort. And he was disgruntled then. His problem was not being in game shape, the players around him suck and the team sucked and he just had a bad year. For him. It was still a great year.

He also suffers from being a strange kind of guy, as well as an I don't care what you think of me kind of guy. That doesn't at all mean he's a bad guy. It's just Jason being Jason.

To me, the real sticking point in the negotiations is not going to be how much they offer long term. Again, I think they are willing to go to 10+ mil. The stickler is going to be the amount guaranteed, which directly relates to the issue with will he become complacent once he gets the huge contract. The less guarantee, the more they can guarantee he will be giving 100%, to get the extra loot in years 3-6 or so of the deal. I think it's going to be tough for him to turn down 60 mil, and it would be dumb for him to. The problem is going to be how much hardball Parker and Peters are going to play to get 30 mil guaranteed instead of 20.

But my original point stands. I don't think if Peters was a nicer guy, or more of a team player, that ceiling of 10+ mil per year changes one bit. So 99% of this talk and badmouthing either side, especially Peters and his agent, is worthless.

I agree with the bulk of that. I think the strategy last year was an unfortunate one. by both sides, but primarily Parker. While I think the Bills could have avoided this, at least this year, by stepping up and redoing Peters contract last year, caving to his hold out would have been a mistake, too.

The Bills told Peters, last year, they would negotiate this year, and so far they have held up their end of the bargain. Right now, Peters is not a holdout, as the workouts are voluntary. So, i think we should recognize that, so far, Peters has only held out once, last year, and the Bills are doing what they said they would do.

Best case scenario, they come to an agreement before mandatory team functions. That would relieve the pressure that seems to be building up. If they don't, best case scenario is Peters reports while the contract continues to be negotiated...he and his agent should learn something from the way the Bills conduct business.

When it comes to the numbers, the Bills should be putting together a package that allows Peters to fell loved and lets he and his agent brag, while at the same time building in safeguards for the team. Reasonable risk, with a very high top end, that involves checkpoints along the way, and requires a good work ethic by Peters. If that package pays Peters a little too much, that's fine by me, as he is a guy they really need to sign, to make a run, this year.

The things I find nonsensical about the discussion, are those who claim, Peters sucks, only played one good year, won't work once he gets his money, is an idiot, etc. I also find it offensive when people assume the Bills are too cheap to sign Jason, are forcing Parker's hand, should pay whatever Peters wants, etc.

I'll agree with every bit of your post. Well stated.

Just to make sure we're clear.. I'm not attempting to insinuate that Peters won't work once he gets paid; but suggesting that the risk is there and it could be a primary factor in why the team is not in more of a hurry to give him a mega deal. His actions several years ago demonstrated his incredible work ethic; however, more recently he seems to have cast doubt onto why he works so hard.

There's nothing I would love more than to have Peters signed at any price (hell its not my money), but I can understand why the team might be reticent.

Guest dog14787
I still don't think there's a huge demand for Peters, considering his asking price. I've got to believe teams know league-wide what he's asking, and the timing is all wrong. For the most part, clubs have spent their FA dollars and adding a big contract now seems difficult.

In the AFC, I can't think of more than two teams who'd be remotely interested in his salary demand and the compensation to acquire him. Perhaps the Raiders, maybe the Jags (although they inked Tra Thomas). Over in the NFC, the Eagles are a popular destination, but I don't see Andy Reid paying the asking price. Perhaps Detroit, but that's a long shot.

Between his contract demands and the Bills' asking price, I can't see the market for Peters increasing at this juncture. And so the two parties will be at a standstill for awhile if their negotiations don't adapt to the market.

As already been previously posted, why wouldn't Jason Peter's participate in voluntary workouts as a show of good faith. I realize some people will say the only reason he's doing it is to get a bigger contract and whats wrong with that if it demonstrates to the organization you also care about whats right for the team.

It seems like it would be the right thing to do so why doesn't it happen more often than not? Is it because of good advice, bad advice, players just being lazy or stubborn, you tell me. I think more should be done by way of giving players another avenue of council and guidance when in trouble or during contract negotiations besides just their agent. Someone neutral who has nothing to gain in the negotiations besides a happy outcome for all parties.

I think players like Jason Peters and Marshawn should come to TSW for some good, sound advice. :rolleyes:

I can't be sure of this but I would imagine that Tim would admit he has been used before by teams trying to get information out, or more likely, misinformation. Regardless of how good or how careful he is, and I think he is an excellent reporter. It's not a fault of reporters, or even the teams, it's simply how these things work sometimes. As well as teams change their minds all the time about what direction they are leaning to.

Plus, information is revealed to him at different times. Two weeks ago, he wasnt hearing the same things as he is now about Peters. TG didn't flipflop on his reporting, he simply got newer and better information, which almost contradicted the earlier stuff.

Because there are sources I can't divulge, I don't want to get too deeply into this, but as a point of order and to shed a little insight on the job, let me say this:

I have printed information I didn't necessarily believe, but in every one of those cases the person who gave me that info is quoted directly. If Joe Mesi wants to state on the record he doesn't have a brain injury, or if Larry Quinn wants to tell me the Sabres never reached an agreement with Chris Drury, they're going to be quoted directly. That information is going to have big, Las Vegas-style neon arrows pointing right the source, indicating "This guy is claiming this information is true, not me."

When I start quoting anonymous sources, I must have a high degree of confidence in the information. The reason being, there are no names associated with the information other than my own. When you go with anonymous sources, you're putting your integrity on the line.

So if somebody wants to push an agenda, his name is going to be directly attributed. To let somebody remain anonymous while pushing an agenda is professional suicide.

Because there are sources I can't divulge, I don't want to get too deeply into this, but as a point of order and to shed a little insight on the job, let me say this:

I have printed information I didn't necessarily believe, but in every one of those cases the person who gave me that info is quoted directly. If Joe Mesi wants to state on the record he doesn't have a brain injury, or if Larry Quinn wants to tell me the Sabres never reached an agreement with Chris Drury, they're going to be quoted directly. That information is going to have big, Las Vegas-style neon arrows pointing right the source, indicating "This guy is claiming this information is true, not me."

When I start quoting anonymous sources, I must have a high degree of confidence in the information. The reason being, there are no names associated with the information other than my own. When you go with anonymous sources, you're putting your integrity on the line.

So if somebody wants to push an agenda, his name is going to be directly attributed. To let somebody remain anonymous while pushing an agenda is professional suicide.

That's really interesting. At this point in your career, do sources reach out to you often, or do you have to track them down and beat info out of them?

Here's what I think. Please sign or trade Peters before the draft. Hopefully they re-sign him, but if they don't, we cant have another extended hold-out. JMO.

BTW. If what this article says is true and the Bills are looking for a first and a third for Peters, that's exactly what they have to do. Don't settle for less.

If I was Brandon I've have 8 words for Eugene Parker:

"Here's 8 million and an incentive laden contract."

Parker: [click]

Parker: [scrolls down to Peters]

Parker: Hey, J my man. How's it going? Yeah, yeah. It's all good over here. I got them right where I want 'em. I'll be in touch. You too man, enjoy the pool.

Parker: [click]

Parker: [to himself] Crap, now what. Hey honey get me a mocho latte thing.

Funny. How many LT's can handle elite pass rushers one on one? Isn't that what makes those rushers elite?

:thumbdown:

it's also why teams pay huge money to LTs (like Peters) who has the physical tools to handle those DEs.

we already have one- just pay the guy before it turns into another protracted holdout & pissing match

People complain about the Bills FO being dumb yet these same people will hand over record money to a player who has gained a reputation league-wide as being more interested in a big payday. If we can't trade him for what he's worth I say bench him for two years. Don't let him play a single down.

PTR

Brilliant, pay him 4-5 million bucks to sit on the bench. Great strategy, that would really show him. Grow up.

His reputation league wide is that of being one of the best LT's in the game who is in his prime. Whether, all things considered, the team would rather save the money and hope they find a LT elsewhere than pay Peters what he is worth, is simply a business decision. Get some big boy pants and cut out this 15 month long temper tantrum you have been throwing since, gasp, Peters did what every underpaid top pro athlete does, holds out for a better contract.

Where was all the whining and crying when Schobel, after years of getting top dollar, signed a huge contract and then threatened a hold out the very next year because they paid somebody else on the team more than him?

Sirrius NFL channel was all over this today and they were right with you on this. Potentially Peters is the best LT in the league.

At question is Emotional maturity, Desire to play the game, Motivation, conditioning. The negatives outweigh the plusses.

The consensus is that he will take the money and run. Peters Career is at a serious crossroads. If the Bills draft an OT tackle number 1. Peters might ride the bench the entire year if he holds out again and we have no reason to assume he will not.

Parker -Peters have put Ralph Wilson is in a position to be remembered and reverred by his fellow owners. The drafting or either Ohler, Unger, or Britton. Will put the Bills in the hammer position in negotiations.

If Peters shows up two days before the start of the season again the cameras and announcers will be flashing on him on the bench and Parker the whole game and it won't be complementary. Wilson will be a hero in the eyes of the only peers he really cares about his feellow owners.

Peters and Parker will look like complete fools the camera will show Peters sitting on the bench during monday night football. The announcers will be talking about Parker and laughing at him.

Nice job Parker.

You really have an active fantasy life. Why would Ralph look like a genius for benching a pro bowl left tackle while paying him 4-5million while spending a first round draft pick to play ahead of him, whom he will pay more than Peters, a proven player, is asking? Even better, he could sell the team to Somalia and nPeters would have to play home games in a war torn desert. Ha! Now that would really show him!!!

I wonder if any team has tried the tactic of taking up to four checks away from a player for conduct detrimental to team unity. Peters comes back at game 10 and the Bills take the next 4 checks or at least one so he can't make his minimum for contract compliance. If there would be anyone deserving of this ploy, it would be Peters. Of course, this would bring on a fight with the union, but if it up to me, I'd do it.

Yeah, I think that would be a great strategy, turn a minor contract negotiation with a single player into a full blown league wide labor dispute. Why don't we just set fire to the entire stadium when Peters walks in. That would really get him. It is easy to be stupid when you aren't really in charge. Did you by any chance just leave the Bush administration?

As already been previously posted, why wouldn't Jason Peter's participate in voluntary workouts as a show of good faith. I realize some people will say the only reason he's doing it is to get a bigger contract and whats wrong with that if it demonstrates to the organization you also care about whats right for the team.

It seems like it would be the right thing to do so why doesn't it happen more often than not? Is it because of good advice, bad advice, players just being lazy or stubborn, you tell me. I think more should be done by way of giving players another avenue of council and guidance when in trouble or during contract negotiations besides just their agent. Someone neutral who has nothing to gain in the negotiations besides a happy outcome for all parties.

I think players like Jason Peters and Marshawn should come to TSW for some good, sound advice. :thumbsup:

And if he gets hurt in one of these voluntary work outs, what then? He will have obliterated his value when it was otherwise at its zenith. Sound advice? Thats risking an awful lot for a voluntary work out.

I think this says it all with regards to Peters:

What Peters has accomplished more than anything else is create a huge cloud of doubt around himself. He's clearly more worried about making money than playing football. So what happens when he gets that money? If your only motivation for playing well has been to make money, what happens when you finally get that mega contract? I'm certain that's why no one is rushing to give him the most money any NFL lineman has ever gotten.

That may well be. But Peters has a history. What did he do after recieving a much better new contract, at excellent money for a RT (though not an LT)? He kicked ass, that's what he did.

There does seem to be some doubt over this. IMHO a look at his history should eliminate that doubt.

Thoughtful post. Nicely said.

Great stuff, Tim. It's really interesting to get the journalist's POV. I had never thought of things that way.