T. Graham's new Peters article

Still haven't seen anyone in the media reporting the $9.75 mill offer. Looking at the Lombardi piece, he definitely does not say anything resembling that. Does he say in anywhere else? Or has anyone else said it?

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fc1f1b

It would be absolutely fabulous news if true. So far, no credible source that I have seen. Tell me I'm wrong. Please!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still haven't seen anyone in the media reporting the $9.75 mill offer. Looking at the Lombardi piece, he definitely does not say anything resembling that. Does he say in anywhere else? Or has anyone else said it?

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80fc1f1b

It would be absolutely fabulous news if true. So far, no credible source that I have seen. Tell me I'm wrong. Please!!!

You are wrong. In that it would be fabulous news, that is.

Astrobot -- are you holding out on us?

http://www.drafttek.com/round12009.asp

Our Bills Team Correspondent Dean Kindig (aka Astrobot) updates on the Jason Peters situation. He previously was taking the tack that Peters was likely to be traded, but now comes the news that the Bills Left Tackle was offered a contract which would make him the highest paid in the league at that position - roughly on par with Carolina's Jordan Gross. Dean now thinks a deal will get done, and has lowered the priority on OT for Buffalo. As a result, our Consensus Mock Draft has the Bills steering away from Michael Oher and again looking in the direction of USC LB Brian Cushing.

He sure is holding out. (To be fair, I have yet to read through all the threads.)

Let's hope that's true. I'd love to see this issue put to bed.

I wonder how much contracts for these players can be performance based? They're all looking for guaranteed cash, but why not guarantee it against injury and then leave the escalators be performanced based? There should be some way to guard against that dreaded drop off once a player has signed.

Even if there was a way to performance base a LT's contract, he wouldn't sign it. He might be stupid (might not be too), but I am sure his agent isn't. Imagine if he played last season on a performance based salary-he would have been lucky to make the league minimum, in fact he might has qualified for food stamps. He wants the money guaranteed so he can continue to be lazy and under perform but still rake in millions.

He sure is holding out. (To be fair, I have yet to read through all the threads.)

Let's hope that's true. I'd love to see this issue put to bed.

Or he could just be reading the tea leaves based on what Tim and others have said.

Even if there was a way to performance base a LT's contract, he wouldn't sign it. He might be stupid (might not be too), but I am sure his agent isn't. Imagine if he played last season on a performance based salary-he would have been lucky to make the league minimum, in fact he might has qualified for food stamps. He wants the money guaranteed so he can continue to be lazy and under perform but still rake in millions.

Once again, I'm going to have to ask where that speculation-stated-as-fact comes from? And please don't try to sell me that he's lazy because he held out, that's a load of nonsense. He was an undrafted FA that worked his way through 2 position changes to become a highly-esteemed left tackle. He's not lazy, and those that say he is are shooting directly from the hip, and thus I do hereby call you out on it.

Once again, I'm going to have to ask where that speculation-stated-as-fact comes from? And please don't try to sell me that he's lazy because he held out, that's a load of nonsense. He was an undrafted FA that worked his way through 2 position changes to become a highly-esteemed left tackle. He's not lazy, and those that say he is are shooting directly from the hip, and thus I do hereby call you out on it.

I really like your insight on college players, so don't take this the wrong way, but he showed he has the ability to be lazy and completely underperform and let his teammates down. So he outperformed his contract in '07. He was about on par in '08 (still "underpaid," but he "underperformed" to match his salary). He has also shown he has injury issues. If the Bills sign him to a mega-deal he is going to be the biggest bust since Losman. We'll be back in salary cap hell and unable to sign free agents all that so we have a fairly decent guy protecting a QB who we won't be able to pay. What a joke.

I really like your insight on college players, so don't take this the wrong way, but he showed he has the ability to be lazy and completely underperform and let his teammates down. So he outperformed his contract in '07. He was about on par in '08 (still "underpaid," but he "underperformed" to match his salary). He has also shown he has injury issues. If the Bills sign him to a mega-deal he is going to be the biggest bust since Losman. We'll be back in salary cap hell and unable to sign free agents all that so we have a fairly decent guy protecting a QB who we won't be able to pay. What a joke.

No need to worry, I rarely take offense; I enjoy debating.

Your stance is fair enough, but my counterpoint in the Lazy-once-he-gets-the-money argument has always been that the last time Buffalo gave him a raise he had his best year-and-a-half stretch of football. I realize the situation isn't quite the same, but it's enough of a similarity to make me question the idea that he'd stop pushing himself once he got a big deal.

He simply was NOT lazy last year, I'm not sure where that comes from. He didn't attend camp or preseason, because he was holding out. By all accounts (from teammates and head coach) he worked hard, once he returned. He simply missed too much, and was too far behind. He may work out on his own, when not in camp, but it isn't the same, and for Peters it obviously made a difference.

He simply was NOT lazy last year, I'm not sure where that comes from. He didn't attend camp or preseason, because he was holding out. By all accounts (from teammates and head coach) he worked hard, once he returned. He simply missed too much, and was too far behind. He may work out on his own, when not in camp, but it isn't the same, and for Peters it obviously made a difference.

Well, if the Bills get rid of him, it softens the blow if people rip him down.