Stick a fork in the Sabres

Yeah my brother has season tix, so I go to quite a few games when I'm in town.

And I guess, for me, I'd rather have something make logical sense than be entertaining.

I dunno, if everything in sports made logical sense, there would be no reason to play the games.

Why can't you have it both ways, be entertaining, and don't give a point to a team that lost? What is logical about a contest that ends in a draw?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What bothers me is that they did it to themselves... If the Sabres show incentive in any of the games they lost by a close margin this year and they would have been in (playoffs).

It is not the OT's or shootouts... The Sabres are on par with other teams and records... Nothing glaring there, a team will win a certain % and lose a certain %... Again, nothing really sticks out there.

IMO, it is Lindy and his inability to manage his goalies... Now I am not saying it is all his fault, but pinning everything on Ryan was a mistake since they let Marty go... That to me in my opinion is what is glaring and starting to show... One can say about losing this forward or that forward... But, IMO a team needs TWO nice mainstays/back-stops in net... Now mix in what Gomez of the Rangers did to knock Miller out of the equation and the effing dirty Rangers are laughing all the way to playoffs. They know exactly what they did: Go right for the Sabres Achilles heel.

The last couple of years have proved it is only a few games here and there that make or break the season... Especially with a team like the Sabres. And that is what I am finally blaming Lindy for and the goaltending backups... Sure there is blame to go all around, but in hockey all you have to do is get someone to plug the net and your team is golden... That is what sucks about the game.

It is easy... If T-Bo last year doesn't stink up the joint and if Lalime this year doesn't do the same, the Sabres are in. To me that is where the %'s are not on par with other teams that get in the playoffs. Sure teams ride it out with one steady goalie, but they are taking a big chance with luck and BFLO lost the luck game this year... Thank you phucking Scott Gomez! :worthy::worthy: Again, you can pass all the blame around to the rest of the team, but I boil it down to the simple common demoninator: back-up goaltending... It is just too sub-par for the Sabres ever since Marty left to be playing a chance at luck that your number one man doe not get hurt. They lost that gamble big time this year.

What I said above... Or revamp the whole team and Lindy's system. We still haven't found the right back-up that can survive in the Sabre's crazy system that they play.

:lol::lol:

I dunno, if everything in sports made logical sense, there would be no reason to play the games.

Why can't you have it both ways, be entertaining, and don't give a point to a team that lost? What is logical about a contest that ends in a draw?

Exactly. Look what MTL had to do to eliminate FLA... :worthy::worthy:

It should be:

Win in reg = 3 pts.

Win in OT/SO = 2 pts.

Lose in reg = 0 pts.

Lose in OT/SO= 1 pts.

He is not getting nearly enough blame because there is no proof that he has his hands in the decision making as much as fans want to believe. Maybe he is making the moves, but then he should also then given credit for the good, unless ofcourse all he does is make bad moves, and Regier only makes the good ones :(

Regier has just as much blame, he likes his players too much and is just waiting for the day the NHL decides to try the "New NHL" again. As for Ruff, he can only do so much with what he is given, and with what Regier has given him, there aren't many coaches that would turn them into something competitive

No proof? Surely you jest! The man who fired our best scout so the Sabres could scout talent via YouTube? Larry Quinn. The guy who procrastinated to see if he could get a "better deal" on Drury and Briere? Larry Quinn. They guy who puts the financial handcuffs on Darcy so he has to give up on keeping players like Brian Campbell? Larry Freakin' Quinn!!

Larry has his fingerprints all over this team. This team is where it is today because of Larry Quinn. We had a President's Cup winning team two years ago and now we don't because of Larry Quinn. Now we have a team that's on every free agents list of teams to avoid for being run in a chickensh*t manner.

Consider this: If Darcy is so bad, then how come we were so good 2-3 years ago? Is it Darcy's fault we lost all those players? Do you forget the Larry Quinn press conference where he admitted he "misjudged" the negotiation with Drury? My god, man. Wake up!

PTR

No proof? Surely you jest! The man who fired our best scout so the Sabres could scout talent via YouTube? Larry Quinn. The guy who procrastinated to see if he could get a "better deal" on Drury and Briere? Larry Quinn. They guy who puts the financial handcuffs on Darcy so he has to give up on keeping players like Brian Campbell? Larry Freakin' Quinn!!

Larry has his fingerprints all over this team. This team is where it is today because of Larry Quinn. We had a President's Cup winning team two years ago and now we don't because of Larry Quinn. Now we have a team that's on every free agents list of teams to avoid for being run in a chickensh*t manner.

Consider this: If Darcy is so bad, then how come we were so good 2-3 years ago? Is it Darcy's fault we lost all those players? Do you forget the Larry Quinn press conference where he admitted he "misjudged" the negotiation with Drury? My god, man. Wake up!

PTR

wasn't Larry here during that time too? Or do you have all this overwhelming evidence that says he is only responsible when something goes wrong, like regier is only responsible for the good moves that are made?

What do we know about Larry? He is a minority owner and TG's right hand man and mouthpiece. Was it all his decision to go to video scouting, or was it maybe TG's decision to save some money? Was he really the guy who procrastinated on the deal. In that press conference where you took that "quote" from, what word did he use. Did he say "I", or "We'? Is it all his choice to have a budget to keep the team breaking even, or is it something coming from a higher up?

If Larry is so controling and incharge over the GM, why did Regier re-sign here? Why didn't he move on to somewhere that he could make moves on his own without Larry pulling his strings?

Your only "proof" is some quote were he shoulder some of the blame for te Drury deal not getting done.

wasn't Larry here during that time too? Or do you have all this overwhelming evidence that says he is only responsible when something goes wrong, like regier is only responsible for the good moves that are made?

What do we know about Larry? He is a minority owner and TG's right hand man and mouthpiece. Was it all his decision to go to video scouting, or was it maybe TG's decision to save some money? Was he really the guy who procrastinated on the deal. In that press conference where you took that "quote" from, what word did he use. Did he say "I", or "We'? Is it all his choice to have a budget to keep the team breaking even, or is it something coming from a higher up?

If Larry is so controling and incharge over the GM, why did Regier re-sign here? Why didn't he move on to somewhere that he could make moves on his own without Larry pulling his strings?

Your only "proof" is some quote were he shoulder some of the blame for te Drury deal not getting done.

Well then you should be a pretty happy guy because Larry Quinn isn't going anywhere. Even if TG sells the team, Larry is a skilled parasite and will simply attach himself to a new host.

Enjoy the Sabres.

PTR

Good news guys, after last nights win it looks like they're starting to get it!

"We're starting to understand what it takes to be the team we need to be," Miller said. :wallbash:

Link

Funny thing is, I think that was the mantra after they were eliminated last season, too. "We are finally starting to jell, we just ran out of time, things were turning around...." :(

PTR

Don't forget...he also approved the slug.

2009-10 Master Plan.....

I liked the top line of Pommer, Vanek and Connolly at the end of the year......find a big winger to play on Roys line with Stafford.....3rd line of Paille, Goose, and another big winger.....4th line of Mair, Kaleta, and another big winger......trade Hecht for picks......Tell Max to get lost.....Drive McCarther somewhere and leave him.....leave Gerbe and Kennedy down in Portland....Give Paetsch some more time at forward...he plays hungry and we need that.....have Peters work the Penalty box door........

DEFENSE

Butler, Rivet

Sekera and Spaco if we can get a good deal for him...if not sign a Rivet Clone.....

Weber and either Tallinder or Lydman.....if you can get anything for them deal them and sign another River clone.....

Keep Tellqvist as a backup....

Jerseys....

Bring back the ORIGINAL blue and gold as our primary jerseys and introduce a NEW third jersey like the Boston U college Jerseys.....BUFFALO on the front, with the number underneath and KEEP these jerseys FOREVER....

Ruff and Regier....I would keep them and see if Regier can rediscover his predraft magic of 2003

2009-10 Master Plan.....

I liked the top line of Pommer, Vanek and Connolly at the end of the year......find a big winger to play on Roys line with Stafford.....3rd line of Paille, Goose, and another big winger.....4th line of Mair, Kaleta, and another big winger......trade Hecht for picks......Tell Max to get lost.....Drive McCarther somewhere and leave him.....leave Gerbe and Kennedy down in Portland....Give Paetsch some more time at forward...he plays hungry and we need that.....have Peters work the Penalty box door........

DEFENSE

Butler, Rivet

Sekera and Spaco if we can get a good deal for him...if not sign a Rivet Clone.....

Weber and either Tallinder or Lydman.....if you can get anything for them deal them and sign another River clone.....

Jerseys....

Bring back the ORIGINAL blue and gold as our primary jerseys and introduce a NEW third jersey like the Boston U college Jerseys.....BUFFALO on the front, with the number underneath and KEEP these jerseys FOREVER....

Ruff and Regier....I would keep them and see if Regier can rediscover his predraft magic of 2003

your keeping way too many of the soft and whiny core of that team in guys like tallinder- he needs to go along with roy, pommiville?, toni, connolly, hecht the limp wrist and so many more

your keeping way too many of the soft and whiny core of that team in guys like tallinder- he needs to go along with roy, pommiville?, toni, connolly, hecht the limp wrist and so many more

i am being realistic....not joe Sixpack that wants to trade 15 guys off of the roster.....you need 6 skilled forwards....I could care less if they paint there toenails between periods...I need them to score....I will get my toughness form cement headed d-men and 3-4 line players.....

2009-10 Master Plan.....

DEFENSE

Butler, Rivet

Jerseys....

I'm fine with the top line, but unless there are injuries, leave it alone! Give it some time to gel, Ruff changes lines way too soon at times. As far as Gerbe, it will be a tough sell to keep him in Portland. Kennedy is close as well, but could probably split time, being the first injury call up guy. I like Paetch at forward, he does play hard and if not Paetch, then keep Ellis. I would really like them to pick up an additional forward or 2 with size in the off season.

As far as D, where do they start? I like Butler and Rivet. Tallinder has to go, he was a liability all season. Spacco should be gone as well. Lydman is toss up, but right now he's the third best defenseman on the roster. Sekera was brutal, but is young and I think he has a lot of talent. They definitely need to pick up some help on D though. I am not sure about Funk or Card, I believe they battled injuries all year.

The key is, as Miller stated, for the Sabres to assume an identity. Are they an offensive team who will sacrifice D at times and take chances? Or are they a defense first type of team? I think they were somewhere in between the two this year and really weren't sure, which falls on the coach and GM. They need to bring guys in and establish their own style of play and stick to it.

I really don't think they are that far off from being a contender, but they do have to make some moves. Look at the playoff teams this year, there is not much separating 1 through 8 talent wise. Boston should win the conference, but if they don't it would not surprise me at all.

Nothing much will change as long as Regier remains. He's too afraid to make big changes, so we'll get some minor change to a 3rd liner, and the promise that it was another growing year for the young players, and it's time they step up. So once again they'll be fighting for the 6th-8th playoff spot. Good enough to maybe make the playoffs, but not enough to challenge for the Cup.