Draft Anxiety

I can't help but feel rather anxious and dare I say "doomed" when trying to predict how the upcoming draft will turn out for the bills.

I feel that the bills need to nail their picks this year and cannot afford to have any busts. In my opinion I feel the bills need to secure their next 1-3 seasons and make an honest no BS playoff run or they are in serious jeopardy as an established franchise. And this years draft will be a crucial element to that.

Maybe i am just becoming a pessimist after being a buffalo sports fan for too long, but I have grown to have little confidence the bills will make the right choices.

Looking back in recent drafts, i see players that have turned out to be studs that we have passed up that would kill for to have on our team now. (i know cliche' hindsight is 20/20) but still. it doesn't give me much confidence in our scouting staff's ability to do their jobs, nor in the "inner circle" to correctly process that information and come to the right selection.

Basically I am just sick and tired of feeling like the bills are being mis-managed, out-classed and out-smarted. I want the Bills to be competitive in the AFC but their recent track record of ohhh say the past decade or so leads me to believe otherwise.

why will this draft be any different? why should i get excited and be optimistic? what has changed?

Koolaid, if it makes you feel any better, this year the Bills have a legit chance to draft very well. That's because of the return of Buddy Nix to the Bills' Scouting Department.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddy_Nix

He is one of the most respected college scouts around. With him to help Modrak, who by the way always had a reputation as a top talent evaluator, at least before his time in Bflo, I think the Bills chances of having a solid draft are greatly enhanced. His return is one of the great unheralded stories of the offseason and may end up being the most significant. Hang in there buddy.

Koolaid, if it makes you feel any better, this year the Bills have a legit chance to draft very well. That's because of the return of Buddy Nix to the Bills' Scouting Department.

He is one of the most respected college scouts around. With him to help Modrak, who by the way always had a reputation as a top talent evaluator, at least before his time in Bflo, I think the Bills chances of having a solid draft are greatly enhanced. His return is one of the great unheralded stories of the offseason and may end up being the most significant. Hang in there buddy.

Good call bro'. Hopefully Nix can work his magic here in Buffalo and we can finally make some progress around here. <_<

The Bills came into the off-season with three big problems- lack of pass rush, lack off run blocking, and need of another quality target in the passing game. I think with the T.O. signing we have definitely made progress in the passing game, but we still have a long way to go in improving the OL and DL.

best cases involve getting 3-4 productive OL and DL players in the draft, Bell and McCargo becoming better than average and Schobel returning to 2006 form

Worst cases involve DBs and punters , fire raining from the sky, mothers eating their children, and the sickly sweet smell of blood and beer.

Your right! Please take your doom and gloom and become a fan of another team!

????

Dear friend, this team has been EXACTLY what he described for over a decade. We have all given them a whole lotta slack, but they still suck,year in and year out. Of course we want them to get better, but they deserve a heap of criticism.

Unfortunately, for me and most others, our hearts won't allow us to just divorce. It's like our wives have gained 150lbs, and lost all their teeth but we still love them. Doesn't mean we shouldn't expect them to lose weight.

????

Dear friend, this team has been EXACTLY what he described for over a decade. We have all given them a whole lotta slack, but they still suck,year in and year out. Of course we want them to get better, but they deserve a heap of criticism.

Unfortunately, for me and most others, our hearts won't allow us to just divorce. It's like our wives have gained 150lbs, and lost all their teeth but we still love them. Doesn't mean we shouldn't expect them to lose weight.

Suck? 2001, 2003, 2005 yeah they sucked, the rest of the time they did not suck, just not all that good. Suck is 1967-1972, 1976-1978, 1984-1986.

You are right in your analogy about our wives, weight gain, and tooth loss. However, if someone else started talking about her being a fat toothless hog, after you have finished punching him in his eye, your friendship will most certainly will have ended. If someone says Kelsey sucks, or Jauron sucks that is one thing, but blanket everyone sucks, we are doomed, we will always be doomed over and over again, well dude, that sucks!

I think it's okay to be somewhat nervous. Then again, the draft is about 2-3 years down the road, not for players in 2009. The Bills may have some issues addressing all of their needs. And once again they'll be heading into the draft without enough picks to handle all of them.

Every year it's hope for the best and expect the worst. Hopefully DJ's input is minimized somewhat and Modrak/Nix can have more say.

thanks that is a bit re-assuring, hopefully the right decisions are made

The Bills came into the off-season with three big problems- lack of pass rush, lack off run blocking, and need of another quality target in the passing game. I think with the T.O. signing we have definitely made progress in the passing game, but we still have a long way to go in improving the OL and DL.

best cases involve getting 3-4 productive OL and DL players in the draft, Bell and McCargo becoming better than average and Schobel returning to 2006 form

Worst cases involve DBs and punters , fire raining from the sky, mothers eating their children, and the sickly sweet smell of blood and beer.

Cats and dogs living together. Total chaos, your honor.

You should have some faith in the draft. The Bills have quietly drafted very well the last few years. I wish Chris Ellis would pan out, but my guess at this point is 'no'. That being said, they've done a lot with what they have. The Lynch/Poz/Edwards draft was a notoriously BAD draft, but we still got three starters from it in the first three rounds. Last year with the CB's and WR's we drafted, although the jury is still out on them, we've got depth, talent, and a shot at some real players.

Your right! Please take your doom and gloom and become a fan of another team!

well prove me wrong then genius. what have the bills accomplished in the past decade? why should we be confident in their ability to effectively manage this team and make the correct decisions?

you can call me "doom and gloom" but i prefer realistic. take the blinders off and look around. take your head out of the sand.

I LOVE the bills, but i don't love what they have become. to blindly follow and support a continually inferior product will not do them any favors. they NEED to improve and become competitive.

I think it's okay to be somewhat nervous. Then again, the draft is about 2-3 years down the road, not for players in 2009. The Bills may have some issues addressing all of their needs. And once again they'll be heading into the draft without enough picks to handle all of them.

Every year it's hope for the best and expect the worst. Hopefully DJ's input is minimized somewhat and Modrak/Nix can have more say.

Well said as usual BV.

Every year I come up with a reason to believe/hope that the Bills won't screw up yet another draft. Every now and then they do have a good one, such as 07 and 01. If in fact Jauron's input is muffled this year, there is every reason to be optimistic yet again.

The bad news is that you are right, in that it takes a couple of years for a draft to take hold. If Jauron is allowed to waste another draft on defensive backs, we are many years away from respectability on both lines. In fact, they could even get far worse with Schobel aging and the possibility of Peters leaving.

It's a mess my friend, but it's our mess. :(

It would be nice to get ONE starter who can contribute immediately let alon have an impact. But the odds say otherwise. The rule of thumb concerning drafts will ALWAYS be the same: it takes the better part of three seasons to judge the quality of a draft.

GO BILLS!!!

It would be nice to get ONE starter who can contribute immediately let alon have an impact. But the odds say otherwise. The rule of thumb concerning drafts will ALWAYS be the same: it takes the better part of three seasons to judge the quality of a draft.

GO BILLS!!!

In 2001, the Bills traded down from 14 to 21. I was pissed because I wanted Hutchinson, but the trade worked out well. They drafted Clements, who despite what some now say was a very good player. In round 2 they came away with Schobel and Henry. It wasn't my ideal draft mind you but it was good, and those guys didn't take long to contribute.

Ruben Brown was another Bill who stepped in right away.

Hey....just tryin' to cheer you up. :(

Considering the number of holes that they have to fill (especially if they do part ways with Jason Peters) the team can put everyone's fears to rest by taking the best available player, especially with their first selection. If that best player happens to be at a position that does not need attention (say, CB) then they should trade down (assuming they can find a trading partner). Pretty simple, huh?

This front office takes a ridiculous amount of sh-- around here. The last 2 drafts have been solid. 2008: McKelvin (starts this year, highest upside on the team right now), Hardy (I think he's going to be great), Ellis (bit of a project, ridiculous athleticism), Corner (great name, very nice coverage skills, future Nickle man), Fine, Bowen, Omon, Bell, Johnson (all of which have potential to contribute at a minimum on ST in 2009) and Kennard Cox (probably a swing and miss, but he was #251 overall). 2007: Lynch (I think he'll get his act together), Poz (starter), Edwards (starter), Wright (a whiff), Wendling (ST ace), Schouman (kind of starter), CJ Ah You (a whiff, but not a horrible risk at the time). 5 current starters, a bunch of ST contributors, and a few swing and misses.

Well said as usual BV.

Every year I come up with a reason to believe/hope that the Bills won't screw up yet another draft. Every now and then they do have a good one, such as 07 and 01. If in fact Jauron's input is muffled this year, there is every reason to be optimistic yet again.

The bad news is that you are right, in that it takes a couple of years for a draft to take hold. If Jauron is allowed to waste another draft on defensive backs, we are many years away from respectability on both lines. In fact, they could even get far worse with Schobel aging and the possibility of Peters leaving.

It's a mess my friend, but it's our mess. :(

How can you say that '01 was a good draft? We took a first round DB, which automatically means the draft was a total bust.

This front office takes a ridiculous amount of sh-- around here. The last 2 drafts have been solid. 2008: McKelvin (starts this year, highest upside on the team right now), Hardy (I think he's going to be great), Ellis (bit of a project, ridiculous athleticism), Corner (great name, very nice coverage skills, future Nickle man), Fine, Bowen, Omon, Bell, Johnson (all of which have potential to contribute at a minimum on ST in 2009) and Kennard Cox (probably a swing and miss, but he was #251 overall). 2007: Lynch (I think he'll get his act together), Poz (starter), Edwards (starter), Wright (a whiff), Wendling (ST ace), Schouman (kind of starter), CJ Ah You (a whiff, but not a horrible risk at the time). 5 current starters, a bunch of ST contributors, and a few swing and misses.

Do you think that Demetrious Bell and CG Ah You were enough of an investment to both of our lines combined? And I know that they signed free agents. That isn't the point imo. The Bills under Jauron (who never should have been hired) simply shun the most important elements of the team on draft day. That is not the way for a cold weather team to build a franchise, and it is why we continue to lose.

How can you say that '01 was a good draft? We took a first round DB, which automatically means the draft was a total bust.

Your sarcasm notwithstanding, at least they didn't waste a #8. They took Clements at 21, and it looks as if he is a better player than Whitner will ever be. I know it is early to say this, and I am not even certain about this prediction, but I would love to hear what you think in terms of which one will have a better career. :(

At least TD was smart enough to take Clements AND come away with a 2nd, whereas Marv spurned this and more because he simply had to take Whitner.