Orton and 2 marginal 1st rounders for Cutler?

Cutler is good but there are still many unknowns about the guy. Look up his stats. They are not great. Then mix in the fact that he couldn't lead his team to win one game last year at the end of the season. I am not so sure Russ and the boys missed the boat on this one. Instead they waived Au Voir as it sailed away.

If by "Russ and he boys" you mean Marv Levy (the Bills GM when Cutler was drafted), you are right, they didn't miss the boat on Cutler...they couldn't, cuz they had already missed the boat on Whitner, on their way to missing the John McCargo boat... I wonder how much either of them would net in a trade...but you are right, his stats aren't "that great"... I mean a guy throwing for 4500 yards, 25 tds/18 ints, seven 300 yard games, 62% completion percentage, named to a Pro Bowl...pretty pedestrian.. :thumbsup:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If by "Russ and he boys" you mean Marv Levy (the Bills GM when Cutler was drafted), you are right, they didn't miss the boat on Cutler...they couldn't, cuz they had already missed the boat on Whitner, on their way to missing the John McCargo boat... I wonder how much either of them would net in a trade...

I think to be fair to Russ Brandon, who basically is the man in charge now, that we should start judging him based on the moves in FA and the draft starting from last year.

Cutler is vastly overrated. He'll be a flop without Shanahan.

I disagree. If Chicago can get him some receivers he'll be a pro-bowler for a long time.

Cutler could be the best Bear's QB in decades, but maybe not. Only time will tell, but the Bears gave up an awful lot for him. Could work out well for the Bears, but "will" work out for Denver, they got a good deal on this one.

How do you know that? If they don't use them wisely it may not work out for them at all.

I think to be fair to Russ Brandon, who basically is the man in charge now, that we should start judging him based on the moves in FA and the draft starting from last year.

Yeah, sorry, I kind of mis-read the post I was replying too... I have been on edge since Owens signed! :thumbsup:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373

They gave up Orton, two 1sts and a 3rd. In addition, Chicago received Denver's 5th.

Too bad the Bills couldn't have gotten two 1sts and a 3rd for J.P. :unsure:

Bears got fleeced, this douche with less-than-zero intangibles will end up being a monumental flop in Chicago, poor Bears fans... can't wait for Urlacher to get in his face. :thumbsup:

If by "Russ and he boys" you mean Marv Levy (the Bills GM when Cutler was drafted), you are right, they didn't miss the boat on Cutler...they couldn't, cuz they had already missed the boat on Whitner, on their way to missing the John McCargo boat... I wonder how much either of them would net in a trade...but you are right, his stats aren't "that great"... I mean a guy throwing for 4500 yards, 25 tds/18 ints, seven 300 yard games, 62% completion percentage, named to a Pro Bowl...pretty pedestrian.. :thumbsup:

I was actually talking about this time. Trading for Cutler. And sorry, you could also argue that he had a great coach in Denver played behind a great line and had good wrs and a good TE to throw too. Factoring those variables in,then yeah i would say there are some questions about the guy. Also the way he has handled himself since Shannahan left is questionable at best to me.

He has an uphill battle in Chicago too. Uhrlacher gave him a luke warm welcoming. In his statement about Cutler he mentions the fact that he thought Orton was a good qb. so roll your eyes all you want my friend. But Cutler hasn't proven squat yet to me. Except yes he has some talent but he also has a big ego and needs to learn when to shut up.

Great trade for Denver. They remain in a position to pick up Sanchez (though SF is still his likely destination) and if not, they certainly will be able to get Freeman. I will be curious to see who McDaniels picks up for QB, as he seems to be pretty particular about which QB's he works with. I assume he'd love to work with another USC guy though.

Was the market for Cutler really that hot for the Bears to give up Orton, 2 1st rounders and a 3rd round pick? That is a huge amount of picks. I'm not sure if they got hosed, I think Cutler will give the Bears what they have been looking for over the past decade (a legitimate QB), but trading away 2 1st rounders is a big sacrifice.

By the way, the Bills were in no position to make this trade. They have no flexibility in terms of risk taking. Our franchise is built to fix holes via the draft, we NEED our draft picks because our terrible FO has put us in a position year after year of having 3-4 positions open for rookies to take each offseason. It is either a rookie takes it or some no talent ass clown.

Great trade for Denver. They remain in a position to pick up Sanchez (though SF is still his likely destination) and if not, they certainly will be able to get Freeman. I will be curious to see who McDaniels picks up for QB, as he seems to be pretty particular about which QB's he works with. I assume he'd love to work with another USC guy though.

Was the market for Cutler really that hot for the Bears to give up Orton, 2 1st rounders and a 3rd round pick? That is a huge amount of picks. I'm not sure if they got hosed, I think Cutler will give the Bears what they have been looking for over the past decade (a legitimate QB), but trading away 2 1st rounders is a big sacrifice.

By the way, the Bills were in no position to make this trade. They have no flexibility in terms of risk taking. Our franchise is built to fix holes via the draft, we NEED our draft picks because our terrible FO has put us in a position year after year of having 3-4 positions open for rookies to take each offseason. It is either a rookie takes it or some no talent ass clown.

Regarding them being in a good position to pick up Sanchez, I don't believe they are. Seattle, Jags, San Fran and whatever other darkhorse team could decide to choose Sanchez, I believe that if Denver wants him they will have to package their 2 1st round picks to get him.

Freeman, for some reason I don't believe fits the McDaniels vision of his qb.

Was the market that big for Culter? Absolutely. To tell you the truth, I believe they should of waited till the draft to trade Cutler and allowed the rest of the teams that were wanting him outbid each other. Could you imagine if they would of waited till draft day, just imagine the crazy, desperate bids teams would of put in for him. Either way, the Broncos got tremendous value out of the draft.

Regarding the Bears getting what they wanted? again Absolutely! They got their "franchise" QB. Time will tell if he is a good fit for the BEars, but as of right now, I'm sure their fan base is excited as hell.

I was actually talking about this time. Trading for Cutler. And sorry, you could also argue that he had a great coach in Denver played behind a great line and had good wrs and a good TE to throw too. Factoring those variables in,then yeah i would say there are some questions about the guy. Also the way he has handled himself since Shannahan left is questionable at best to me.

He has an uphill battle in Chicago too. Uhrlacher gave him a luke warm welcoming. In his statement about Cutler he mentions the fact that he thought Orton was a good qb. so roll your eyes all you want my friend. But Cutler hasn't proven squat yet to me. Except yes he has some talent but he also has a big ego and needs to learn when to shut up.

You may be right, in regards to Cutler in Chicago. They don't have the offensive talent in place that the Broncos did.

But for a franchise that hasn't had a "franchise" QB in about 50 years (and I am not even exagerrating) this is a huge step. Also, as for his attitude since Shanahan left, I think you have to be fair to him. He is saying one thing, the Broncos are saying another. His side of the story, to me, seems more credible.

I am thinking that the McDaniel looked at his roster, saw that Cutler was the most valuable piece, and figured he would try to trade him, and get as many other pieces fixed, and worry about the QB later. Orton may be a good fit in Denver, Simms might be even better. The Belechik way seems t be that if everything else is in place, any competant QB will be a good fit.