Top 10 Biggest 1st Round Draft Busts

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing about Mike Williams was quite a few folks around here were very happy!

Now, you want to talk Bills 1st Round Busts... you better throw Flowers in the discussion... As well as JP...

But, to be honest, they've drafted pretty well over the years - every team makes mistakes on Draft Day (well except for the vaunted Patriots*).

The funny thing about Mike Williams was quite a few folks around here were very happy!

Now, you want to talk Bills 1st Round Busts... you better throw Flowers in the discussion... As well as JP...

But, to be honest, they've drafted pretty well over the years - every team makes mistakes on Draft Day (well except for the vaunted Patriots*).

You should have read the glowing column written by none other than Jerry Sullivan after Donahoe drafted Williams. Of course it didn't stop Sully from calling Ol'Whity a bonehead a few years later. I wrote Sully an e-mail pointing out this sudden change of heart and he basically told me to get lost. :(

Don't forget Walt Patulski for the Bills top 10 busts...a #1 overall to boot. John McCargo is challenging to make the list.

PTR

Indeed, quite a few folks around here thought he was doing a great job at RT his first few years. :(

I think Tony Mandarich doesn't belong on the list. He did more in his career than anyone else on that list except possibly Pacman Jones. No doubt he was a bust, a big bust but certainly not number one and arguably not one of the top ten. He's a favorite whipping boy because of the Sports Illustrated cover and all the hype.

Tony Mandarich was in the league for 9 years, played in 86 games and started in 47.

WR Mike Williams was drafted 10th overall , played 3 seasons and 14 games, starting in 4 games.

DL Steve Emtman was taken 1st overall in 2002. He played 5 seasons and 50 games, starting in 19 games.

RB Tim Worley was taken 7th overall in 1989. He played 6 seasons and 48 games. Eight touchdowns.

QB Andre Ware was taken 7th overall in 1990. He played 4 seasons and 14 games. Five touchdowns and eight interceptions.

DB Bruce Pickens was taken 3rd overall in 1991. He played 6 seasons and 48 games. Two interceptions.

QB Rick Mirer was taken 2nd overall in 1993.

LB Trev Alberts was taken 5th overall in 1994. He played 3 seasons and 29 games.

DL Cedric Jones was taken 5th overall in 1996. He played 6 seasons and 73 games.

DE Andre Wadsworth was taken 3rd overall in 1998. He played 3 seasons and 36 games.

RB Curtis Enis was taken 5th overall in 1998. He played 3 seasons and 36 games, starting in 18. Four rushing TDs.

DL Ryan Sims was taken 6th overall in 2002. He's in his 7th season but has started only 38 games.

DL Johnathan Sullivan was taken 6th overall in 2003. He played 4 seasons and 36 games, starting in 16 games.

Alex Smith was taken 1st overall in 2005. David Carr 1st overall and Joey Harrington 3rd overall in 2002.

Four of these players are still in the league. The other 11 did less in their careers than Mandarich. If you take away anyone drafted after the 6th pick (as the Sporting News does) and the four active players you're still left with 7 players who did less in their careers than Mandarich did. These players I bolded. At least Emtman and Wadsworth were bigger busts than Mandarich. And before anyone plays the injury card, all three of these players careers ended due to their bodies breaking down.

Lol did erik flowers even play a game in a bills uniform????????????????????????????

Actually, the Patriots secretly haven't had a good draft in like four years. In the '07 draft we got Lynch, Poz, and Edwards. The rest of the draft was notoriously weak. I think the Pats cut every player they drafted outside of their top pick (Meriweather). Their 2006 draft, aside from Gostkowski, was pretty poor too. Time will tell on the 2008 draft.

Actually the patriots have had a very average draft(s) in the last 5 years especially in the 1st few rounds....

Does anyone think Tim Couch belongs on that list?

Definitely before Peter Warrick. Although he was still probably a bust, Warrick was on brutal teams that didn't know how to utilize his strengths. Granted, Couch was on terrible teams as well, but my Lord. He just didn't get it at the NFL level.

Does anyone think Tim Couch belongs on that list?

QB Tim Couch is pretty close. He was taken 1st overall in 1999. In 5 seasons he played in 62 games with 59 starts. He had 64 TDs and 67 ints. Like many of the others his body broke down.

Don't forget Walt Patulski for the Bills top 10 busts...a #1 overall to boot.

Yes but Florio's criteria is the last 20 years.

Todd Marinovich has to be in anyone's top 5.

Also his list only includes players taken in the top six picks. Marinovich was taken at #24.

Todd Marinovich has to be in anyone's top 5.

I don't see that at all. I think everyone knew he was a complete disaster and he wouldn't have even been a first round pick if Al Davis wasn't certifiably insane.

The Boz. :censored:

He would definitely qualify except the criteria was for the last twenty years. Bosworth was taken in 1987 so he doesn't qualify.

He was a huge bust though, he played only 24 games in his 3 years. He also signed at what the time was the largest rookie contract in history, 10 years and $11 million.

Also for what it's worth (probably not too much) Seattle took him in the supplemental draft, sacrificing their 1st round pick so The Boz actually cost them the final pick in the first round.

Indeed, quite a few folks around here thought he was doing a great job at RT his first few years. :censored:

That's the worst part of Williams. At times, in the NFL, he would be dominate. He could have been a really good player if he wanted to. But the guy just didn't have the desire. It's almost more frustrating than a bust like Flowers who couldn't play at all. For all the dumb decisions TD made (1st rounder to your SB winning divisional opponent for their backup QB), Williams wasn't his fault. That was all on fat Mike.

You should have read the glowing column written by none other than Jerry Sullivan after Donahoe drafted Williams. Of course it didn't stop Sully from calling Ol'Whity a bonehead a few years later. I wrote Sully an e-mail pointing out this sudden change of heart and he basically told me to get lost. :censored:

Don't forget Walt Patulski for the Bills top 10 busts...a #1 overall to boot. John McCargo is challenging to make the list.

PTR

How about Tom Rudd, Phil Dokes, Eric Flowers

At least the problem with Mike Williams was scouting rather than grossly misunderstanding the needs of the team. It would have been a great pick had he been a star tackle, and a solid pick even if he were just reliable.

It's our current administrations' repeated decisions to ignore our needs that gets to me.