Why be a fan?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having read that reply about the cold weather, and them not practicing outside in it - man, that is really obvious these past few years! This team used to win those cold weather games, and look forward to them, because it was a huge advantage for them. As a coach, I would think he'd definitely want to bring back that advantage. They seem, of late, to be as disadvantaged from the snow or more so than the opposing team (Remember the Cleveland Game?).

What is the excuse when they lose in warm weather? I hate that practice excuse. To me it is worthless. If you are a talented , well-coached team, you win in any weather.

What is the excuse when they lose in warm weather? I hate that practice excuse. To me it is worthless. If you are a talented , well-coached team, you win in any weather.

For the most part, I agree, but practicing in the elements once in a while wouldn't hurt.

Are you still letting that salary cap issue bother you?

No, I think its just you that bothers me. You're condescending and boring. I don't post much, but do a lot of reading of the posts. A high percentage of your posts are just to aggravate and have a negative con atone. The irony is that you are almost always being that way when the poster is saying something negative or critical of the Bills.

So you're almost your own problem. You don't like when people criticize the Bills, so you criticize them. Bottom line is you aren't a fun guy, you're boring, and sullen. You basically don't like anyone that's like you.

No, I think its just you that bothers me. You're condescending and boring. I don't post much, but do a lot of reading of the posts. A high percentage of your posts are just to aggravate and have a negative con atone. The irony is that you are almost always being that way when the poster is saying something negative or critical of the Bills.

So you're almost your own problem. You don't like when people criticize the Bills, so you criticize them. Bottom line is you aren't a fun guy, you're boring, and sullen. You basically don't like anyone that's like you.

<_<

don't lie. Your still bothered by your Assumption.

and remember, you're the one who attacked me pal.

The Bills have looked like a damn dome team in bad weather ever since Dick Jauron took over. You're ok with them practicing indooors at 70 degrees even though this is a team that plays outside in Buffalo, NY in the winter? You do realize that the Patriots practice outside, don't you? While they have better players, do you think Jauron's practicing method is better than Belichick's practicing method?

It's not an excuse, it's basic common sense for a team that plays football in Buffalo should be practicing outside. Hence the reason why your buddy Jauron doesn't do it (well there's that and the reason that he'd rather have his players love him than become winners).

The Bills have looked like a damn dome team in bad weather ever since Dick Jauron took over. You're ok with them practicing indooors at 70 degrees even though this is a team that plays outside in Buffalo, NY in the winter? You do realize that the Patriots practice outside, don't you? While they have better players, do you think Jauron's practicing method is better than Belichick's practicing method?

It's not an excuse, it's basic common sense for a team that plays football in Buffalo, to practice outside. Hence the reason why your buddy Jauron doesn't do it (well there's that and the reason that he'd rather have his players love him than become winners).

Jauron is not my buddy. If you're trying to be funny, it's not working. If you're trying to be a smart ass, ,you can kiss mine. I think they should practice outside, but would not use it as an excuse for poor play.

I have to agree. The location of their practice has very little bearing on the execution, IMO. It's not like the old days either. These players are getting dry footballs every play and spend most of the day nice and toasty on the sideline. If anything it's a minor adjustment as far as footing goes. If you are in the NFL you most likely have already dealt with windy conditions before and can make adjustments accordingly. The huge weather factor is built up by the fans and only a couple times a year do you get a real frigid game. Gameday conditions effect both teams.

You have been a fan for 40 years and this is your most challenging time as a fan? I have been going to games since 1967. Do I have to remind you of 1968, 1971, 1976-77, 1984-85?

The eras you reference don't exceed 2 seasons. This is getting to be quite a stretch. Yes, there were stadium changes & lease issues then as well. I guess each episode seems more ominous.. I agree w/ Buftex and the OP.

Dear Bills, Help keep me. Win now!

I do agree that there shouldn't be any excuses. However, it would make sense to me for them to practice more often in the cold and windy weather. I would think it is safe to say, people who work and live in these conditions are better acclimated to endure this weather than people who don't. During practice, you can see what plays work better than others, and you have a better feel of what you can and can't do. I'm not suggesting that they should practice all their games outside, but more often. I don't see how it hurts

Jauron is not my buddy. If you're trying to be funny, it's not working. If you're trying to be a smart ass, ,you can kiss mine. I think they should practice outside, but would not use it as an excuse for poor play.

It's one of the reasons, not excuses, for their dismal play in cold weather. I see your comment as enabling this head coach to continue with his losing pattern of illogical decision-making. If the fans and media harp on it enough, maybe either the owner or Jauron may be embarrassed enough to admit the head coach has been a fool, stop coddling the players and make them practice outside in an attempt to improve their play on Sundays in November, December and hopefully January.

I do agree that there shouldn't be any excuses. However, it would make sense to me for them to practice more often in the cold and windy weather. I would think it is safe to say, people who work and live in these conditions are better acclimated to endure this weather than people who don't. During practice, you can see what plays work better than others, and you have a better feel of what you can and can't do. I'm not suggesting that they should practice all their games outside, but more often. I don't see how it hurts

How do you practice games?

You have been a fan for 40 years and this is your most challenging time as a fan? I have been going to games since 1967. Do I have to remind you of 1968, 1971, 1976-77, 1984-85?

Oh, believe me, there have been plenty of bad times. Maybe it is just being older, and lowering my expectations for this team, but, as bad as all those other years were, this one has been longer lasting in its' futility, and spectacularly disappointing. Back then, the expectations were always low... the Super Bowl era kind of gave Bills fans an unprecedented "sense of entitlement", or at least it did me. But, one year after another has passed, and things have only gotten worse. I don't think I am alone in feeling the disappointment, and frustration of this past season, at a level I have never felt before. I haven't really seen or heard anything this offseason that makes me feel this team will be any better than last year... and the sense that the days of this franchise, in Buffalo, are numbered, only makes the feeling worse.

I realize thought, it is a long way til the season starts. Anything can happen.

Amen to that! nice post!

You're a fan because you like football. Wilson is not going to spend the money it takes to win. He will do enough to get fans in the seats and thats it. Compare it to a garden that has already grown its fruit and been picked and eaten. The garden is stripped of its bounty and left to wither away. Same with this team and oragnization. wilson already told you and every other fan, enjoy the team while they're here because this is the NFL and you know what that means.

Oh, believe me, there have been plenty of bad times. Maybe it is just being older, and lowering my expectations for this team, but, as bad as all those other years were, this one has been longer lasting in its' futility, and spectacularly disappointing. Back then, the expectations were always low... the Super Bowl era kind of gave Bills fans an unprecedented "sense of entitlement", or at least it did me. But, one year after another has passed, and things have only gotten worse. I don't think I am alone in feeling the disappointment, and frustration of this past season, at a level I have never felt before. I haven't really seen or heard anything this offseason that makes me feel this team will be any better than last year... and the sense that the days of this franchise, in Buffalo, are numbered, only makes the feeling worse.

I realize thought, it is a long way til the season starts. Anything can happen.

You know BT, what gets to me is watching the same idiocy over and over again.

You nailed it in another post. Being a Bills fan (to me) isn't all about the team, not even close. It is about getting together with close friends, and my annual trip to RWS. There are some unbelieveably cool people posting here, and now I have tailgated with some of them for more than a decade. Trite perhaps, but WNY truly does imo have a large percentage of nice people as compared to other places I have been.

Check this out.....one of my daughters is dating a guy and they were talking about football. Although she knows little about it, she knows that she is a Bills Fan. The guy said that, "he feels sorry for Bills Fans." :lol: I don't need nor want sympathy. I wear my Bills clothes and walk tall. And while expectations are in fact low because of management, giving up is not an option. That's why a guy my age is on youtube watching clips of Andy Levitre. :nana:

As bleak as things look, I still think that "some day" ...........

Having read that reply about the cold weather, and them not practicing outside in it - man, that is really obvious these past few years! This team used to win those cold weather games, and look forward to them, because it was a huge advantage for them. As a coach, I would think he'd definitely want to bring back that advantage. They seem, of late, to be as disadvantaged from the snow or more so than the opposing team (Remember the Cleveland Game?).

absolutely. this is not even the bills any more. all these pussies that can't stand cold...shipping home games out of the country...a decade of no playoffs...an owner who clearly does not give a schidt...i've never been closer to giving it up altogether. i hope thousands of bills fans drive to canton to boo the miserly old !@#$.

Bottom line: they need to win this year, or it'll be rebuilding all over again. And, maybe the team moves, to boot. Shouldn't all that combined be enough motivation for them to try everything and anything to put the right team on the field this year?

Sure, the Bills need to win this year. But we said that last year when they'd finished another non-playoff season. And for all the talk about the wilderness years of the late sixties, later seventies, and mid eighties, this 9 year drought hasn't featured the terrible seasons, but I can't imagine worse losses. Problem is, I think many fans (both casual and serious) have grown numb to it all.

The Bills have done more to alienate their fan base than perhaps any team in the NFL. Selling games (with more probable) to Toronto, keeping Jauron, and losing 8 of 10 down the stretch to miss the playoffs for a ninth straight year has beaten the fans down. You're right to demand some accountability, but until enough fans finally make their voices heard, the franchise will be led by non-football people like Wilson, Littman, and Brandon into oblivion. Or Toronto, whichever comes first.

This is a pivotal year for me as a fan. It is Juaron's last year - pretty much formally - and he needs to win to keep the job. It is Wilson's HOF year, and the Bill's 50th anniversary year. Wow! And the fans - the Fans! - who've made it all possible, and who've suffered Four Straight Super Bowl Losses, and then this slow decline into dismal football, now have a decent core of players, young, and enough talent at the right positions to be good - and all they need is a few extra pieces. We know what they need, playmaker-wise. They can get it through F.A. and the draft. I believe, albeit it is a desperate way, that the front office knows the strengths and weaknesses of this team as opposed other really good teams, and can move to get the talent we need.

What is preventing that? Money? Bottom line: they need to win this year, or it'll be rebuilding all over again. And, maybe the team moves, to boot. Shouldn't all that combined be enough motivation for them to try everything and anything to put the right team on the field this year?

I believe it is. If they don't put that team on the field this year, with enough talent to compete with the best of them, then it just goes to show it is a business - all about the money - and, I for one, am saying, That is not what I'm interested in. I don't want to watch a soap opera every Sunday, the winners and losers indeterminate to the goal: selling tickets and a hundred million boobs sitting around watching their televisions all Sunday. What I'm saying is, if the goal isn't To Win A Super Bowl, and to be the very best team possible, then what is the point? I don't care if we make the playoffs on some wild-card and lose in the first or second round.

Hearing some of these players B word about the difference in millions on their salaries, while the people who support them get by on one hundrenth of that or less, is rediculous.

I believe that we as fans became fans because we wanted to see some magic. We wanted to see a team decide by their hearts and their wills that they were going to do whatever it took to go out and win, even against unbeatable odds. And if I saw my team approach this attitude, this desire to just win, to be a team, to dominate, to the great, and fall short a little (the early 90's was an approximation), then I'd keep up.

But, to see them put together a team and a staff that doesn't come close to being competitive or passionate enough to do great things - even only some of the time - but, rather, accept mediocrity as a part of the turning door that has become Dominance in the NFL, and to say, "next year we'll regroup and try to make the playoffs; that is our goal" Ahhhhh!

What ever happened to guys saying, "We want to be great. We want to be the best ever. We're going to Win!"

I can't find all the right words to express what I mean, but I feel like other fans will know what I'm trying to say. The NFL, with these bloated salaries - and I'd understand if there were the equivalent desire and passion - is becoming a sucker sport, which I feel is ridiculing the hundred or so million men and young men, and even women, who watch it. We're not looking for daytime drama or for passive entertainment. We want to feel something for our teams, and its becoming less possible with every passing year for me.

This year, I really want to see a team that is passionate and devoted to trying to be the best. That would be enough.

Well thought out. I myself am sick of the coaches and players saying playoffs. Whatever happened to saying I want to be the best and win the super bowl. Saying playoffs is like saying ok, whe are here now so its ok to lose.