Jauron would draft Stafford

Jauron would take Stafford...Tom Kowalski of MLive reports that if Bills' head coach Dick Jauron had to make the choice for Lions with the first overall pick, he would go with Georgia QB Matt Stafford...I think it's common sense, I don't think it's great insight, but you'd better find a quarterback," Jauron said. MLive

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/als09scoop.html

Do you think Lions fans are happy that Dickie isn't their coach. :nana:

Should we care what Lions fans think? And is Jauron wrong to think that the Lions need a QB?

No. But Jauron's history with rookie QB's is beginning to look like a text book example of how NOT do something.

No. But Jauron's history with rookie QB's is beginning to look like a text book example of how NOT do something.

Huh? Based on Cade McNown, who was a collossal screw-up, and Trent, who looked good until his concussion last year?

It worked for the Dolphins last year. Oh wait... :thumbsup:

No instead the Dolphins passed on Matt Ryan. Who in his first year looks damn good. Like he could be a franchise QB for years. Then the Falcons traded back up and got a starting LT in Baker. I am so sick of people thinking Parcells is a genius. Fact is he missed the boat on Ryan. Plain and simple. Ask any owner or GM and they would tell you the same thing. Would you rather have a draft like the Falcons did last year or one like the Dolphins did? You still have no clue if Henne is a starter in this league. Where as the Falcons look to have their starting QB and LT for years to come.

No instead the Dolphins passed on Matt Ryan. Who in his first year looks damn good. Like he could be a franchise QB for years. Then the Falcons traded back up and got a starting LT in Baker. I am so sick of people thinking Parcells is a genius. Fact is he missed the boat on Ryan. Plain and simple. Ask any owner or GM and they would tell you the same thing. Would you rather have a draft like the Falcons did last year or one like the Dolphins did? You still have no clue if Henne is a starter in this league. Where as the Falcons look to have their starting QB and LT for years to come.

All that is easy to say now that the draft is over and players have played...Ryan was no lock going into the draft last year...People act like GM's are fortune tellers and can see the future...

Not to mention, Miami already had young QB's and got Henne too plus an anchor for the O Line and they won the division...not a bad first year. How you could say he blew anything is beyond me...

I think this shows that Jauron SAYS he would draft Stafford if he were the Lions.

I don't think he would, though.

:thumbsup:

Maybe another hope of starting the draft in the right direction for the Bills?

What? McNown and Edwards are textbook examples?

:D

So, what you are saying is that there is only one way to go... :thumbsup:

So, what you are saying is that there is only one way to go... :thumbsup:

What i am syaing is that he could have and should have done it the other way around.

I spoke with one NFL scout last year, who btw came from INDY, and was there when they drafated Peyton. He had Ryan graded out as the same as Peyton. Now i did not believe him. But after the first game heck the first throw of Ryans career, i started becoming a believer.

Right now the Falcons have two proven pieces for success in the NFL. A starting LT and a great QB. Dolphins have a starting LT and an unknown at QB. What would you rather have going into the next couple of years of your franchise????

Time to toss a bone towards ATL's OC - Mularkey.

His head coach gig didn't work out with BUF, but I shake my head at folks that call him a quitter when he left.

Wilson & Co. stripped him of his staff save a few. Same as in general business when such happens, he saw that his knees were capped and left graciously. Knowing that he was rendered impotent and was in the crosshairs.

Hearing a post like this one makes me bring up the Tom Brady defense. Were all other 31 teams that didnt take Brady wrong? How about was Hoodie wrong the first 5 times he passed up on him? CMON they are not fortune tellers. Parcells went with what was proven and it paid off for him.

Time to toss a bone towards ATL's OC - Mularkey.

His head coach gig didn't work out with BUF, but I shake my head at folks that call him a quitter when he left.

Wilson & Co. stripped him of his staff save a few. Same as in general business when such happens, he saw that his knees were capped and left graciously. Knowing that he was rendered impotent and was in the crosshairs.

Mularkey and VanGorder have been excelent here in Atl. VanGorder especially. To do what he did with that talent last year on D was amazing. It was all smoke and mirrors, held together by bubble gum and duct tape.

Mularky seems like he might be another guy that is fit to be a Cord not a head coach. but if they Falcons come out again and have a great year, he will most likely get another shot.

Huh? Based on Cade McNown, who was a collossal screw-up, and Trent, who looked good until his concussion last year?

Oh, the concussion angle again. Never mind Trent saying he felt unprepared for the Cleveland game. Did the concussion cause Edwards to throw 3 picks?

What? McNown and Edwards are textbook examples?

A.) Apparently you missed the word "beginning"

B.) Yes, it's called starting the rookie QB before they are fully developed. Heck, Jauron declared McNown his starting QB BEFORE the kid even signed a contract.

Oh, the concussion angle again. Never mind Trent saying he felt unprepared for the Cleveland game. Did the concussion cause Edwards to throw 3 picks?

You simply cannot completely dismiss the concussion. And Edwards wasn't named the starter until JP got injured. How that's Jauron's fault is anyone's guess!

This season will tell a lot about Edwards. He's got the skill position players around him. Time to put up or shut up.

You simply cannot completely dismiss the concussion.

I am not dismissing it. But the concussion was not cause for all of Edwards problems last year.

Edwards threw 3 picks in the Cleveland game. Those 3 picks were caused by:

A. a concussion

B. Trent being unprepared

And Edwards wasn't named the starter until JP got injured. How that's Jauron's fault is anyone's guess!

Two questions:

1. Was JP gone for the year because of that injury?

2. Who named Edwards the starter?

What i am syaing is that he could have and should have done it the other way around.

I spoke with one NFL scout last year, who btw came from INDY, and was there when they drafated Peyton. He had Ryan graded out as the same as Peyton. Now i did not believe him. But after the first game heck the first throw of Ryans career, i started becoming a believer.

Right now the Falcons have two proven pieces for success in the NFL. A starting LT and a great QB. Dolphins have a starting LT and an unknown at QB. What would you rather have going into the next couple of years of your franchise????

The Ray Perkins tree of coaches has been far more successful at winning championships than has Peyton Manning. The approach has been proven to work repeatedly.

I am not dismissing it. But the concussion was not cause for all of Edwards problems last year.

Edwards threw 3 picks in the Cleveland game. Those 3 picks were caused by:

A. a concussion

B. Trent being unprepared

When I heard Trent claim that, I literally did this :censored: .

Two questions:

1. Was JP gone for the year because of that injury?

2. Who named Edwards the starter?

Sorry, I misspoke. Trent wasn't named the starter after JP's injury in the first game of 2007. He got several starts and then the team went back to JP. Then they went back to Trent.

The Ray Perkins tree of coaches has been far more successful at winning championships than has Peyton Manning. The approach has been proven to work repeatedly.

Since you are comparing the success of one person vs many, what we should really look at is the winning % of Peyton Manning, vs the average of the coaches from the Perkins tree. Otherwise it really doesn't mean anything.

Since you are comparing the success of one person vs many, what we should really look at is the winning % of Peyton Manning, vs the average of the coaches from the Perkins tree. Otherwise it really doesn't mean anything.

Parcells, Belichick, Coughlin ... these guys have established themselves as the elite of the NFL. You can take a crap on their records if you want and hold up Peyton Manning as the poster boy of the fallacious "all you need is a great QB" argument if you want. Great QBs are fun to watch and they put butts in the seats, no question. But, having a great QB does not automatically gift someone a championship. Marino, Kelly, Tarkenton ... Hall of Fame, great QBs ... no championships. Meanwhile, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler, and Trent Dilfer are champions. Sure, it doesn't mean anything other than some people can't get it through their head that it is a team game and the sport has evolved from the days when you just put 22 athletes out on the field and kicked the opposition's ass.

Parcells, Belichick, Coughlin ... these guys have established themselves as the elite of the NFL. You can take a crap on their records if you want and hold up Peyton Manning as the poster boy of the fallacious "all you need is a great QB" argument if you want.

I will do nothing of the sort, and I don't believe in the QB is everything, philosophy. If you've read my posts in the many QB arguments, over the years, you'd know that I believe the QB is one cog in the maching...a very important cog, to be sure...but the QB is not the end off any football team. OTOH, a good (or great) QB makes life a lot easier on the offense, most of the time.

But, the comparison you made total championships of several vs. the championships of one is flawed...that's all I'm saying. Personally, I wouldn't use that as a basis for the argument. But, maybe there is something there. But you would need to compare the avg of the records of ALL the coaches from the Perkins tree (not just the most successful) to Manning, if you really want to pursue that path, IMO. But, what it ignores is, Parcells and Belicheat are the top end of the principles of the Perkins tree, and Peyton is at the top of the QB scale. Most teams have neither.

Actually, I happen to believe there are a number of different paths to success..nobody has the magic bullet that works in all situations.