Facebook...

buckeyemike

People on FB are full of sh--.

I GUARANTEE 90% of people on it are 100% more miserable than they let on with thier little "updates" and pictures.

"Johnny says TGIF!!!"

Spare me...what youre leaving out is "Johnny says TGIF...now he can go home and babysit his heroin addicted 14 year old all weekend!!!"

And I really dont need to be "friended" by some old HS clowns. I hated your guts and didnt say three words to you in High School. What makes you think I want to talk to you NOW???!!??

I quit that nonsense a few months back. Dont miss it a bit.

No seriously..how DO you feel about facebook?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not exactly the same thing...that girl "sexted" nude pics of herself to her BF's cell phone and he shared them with the rest of the world.

The caveat of "once you share your info you have no control over what they do with it" definitely applies, but the story you linked wasn't a Facebook thing.

im on facebook, and just today i went through and purged about 20 "friends" because of their sh-------, non-stop updates about nothing. and their stupid, Myspace-like quizzes they cant stop taking to inform me what their favorite 5 beers are, or what country they should live in, or what Muppet they are, or what Leading Lady they are, blahblahblah.

i use it to keep in touch with people since i have moved around the country a lot for my 29 years.

Twitter has taken over Myspace as the #1 Downfall of Humanity. People are really that self-absorbed that they find it necessary to update "everyone" on every move they make? its unbelievable. "I just got coffee, yum" "I have a headache" "I'm still tired" big !@#$ing deal. no one cares. hate twitter. i hate the idea of twitter.

I use FB the same way - my wife and I have moved around a lot in the last 10 years, so it's a great tool to catch up and keep in touch with people from different areas of the country. I do get tired of the same people blasting away with the "so-and-so Poked you" or "so-and-so sent you a gift, click here to see it" crap, but I just block stories and feeds whenever necessary.

I agree 100% about Twitter. What a waste of time.

I resisted Facebook and made fun of it but joined around the new year. It is wild for reconnecting with old friends! I agree about Twitter- do people really think they are that important? But Facebook is an awesome social networking sight IMO

Not exactly the same thing...that girl "sexted" nude pics of herself to her BF's cell phone and he shared them with the rest of the world.

The caveat of "once you share your info you have no control over what they do with it" definitely applies, but the story you linked wasn't a Facebook thing.

I use FB the same way - my wife and I have moved around a lot in the last 10 years, so it's a great tool to catch up and keep in touch with people from different areas of the country. I do get tired of the same people blasting away with the "so-and-so Poked you" or "so-and-so sent you a gift, click here to see it" crap, but I just block stories and feeds whenever necessary.

I agree 100% about Twitter. What a waste of time.

By a few keystrokes, one young person villifies, humiliates another to dozens, hundreds of others. Cruelty at the speed of light. And not limited to the young.

I think that there are a lot of lonely people on the internet, on these Facebook and MySpace things. Behind the confines of their little screens, a lot of kids (and adults) are very, very isolated. Before, parents were worried that their kids would fall in with the wrong crowd. But it's hard to monitor these "social" networks.

I looked at MySpace, once. I was amazed at the extent of morbitity, depression, and sadness...

And yes - I haven't looked at Facebook. I can't see much difference in them, though.

After the initial bout of catching up with people from the hometown slowed down, yeah, the updates and Food Fights and quiz invites and such did get a little tiresome. But once I decided to treat them the same way I do here -- just scrolling by the ones I don't care about -- it's no big deal.

I mostly use it for the message/chat features, and it's a great networking tool. When Scott Pitoniak was unceremoniously dumped by the D&C last December, I figured I was SOL as far as contacting him because I'd always used his work e-mail address, which was nuked the same day. But when I signed up for FB a couple of weeks after that, it took less than 48 hours to reconnect with him. And Tim and I haggled out the details of that pinned thread on the main Wall in a FB chat -- quicker than e-mail, and I didn't need to interrupt him with a phone call.

So ... yeah, I think I'll keep it.

By a few keystrokes, one young person villifies, humiliates another to dozens, hundreds of others. Cruelty at the speed of light. And not limited to the young.

That's fine, but again, we're talking about two different things. It wasn't a social networking site that got that girl's nude pics out there - it was cell phones and text messages. It's like blaming PhotoBucket because a teenage girl emailed a friend a nude pic of herself to her friends and it got loose on the Intrawebs.

I think that there are a lot of lonely people on the internet, on these Facebook and MySpace things. Behind the confines of their little screens, a lot of kids (and adults) are very, very isolated. Before, parents were worried that their kids would fall in with the wrong crowd. But it's hard to monitor these "social" networks.

There are a lot of sad, lonely, desperate people offline as well. Those people were out there before computers and the Internet and cell phones came along. The creation, implementation and pervasiveness of that technology doesn't change any of that.

I looked at MySpace, once. I was amazed at the extent of morbitity, depression, and sadness...

And yes - I haven't looked at Facebook. I can't see much difference in them, though.

I feel like there is a big difference between Facebook and MySpace. I admit I have limited experience with MySpace but unless I am wrong, it seems that MySpace and Facebook are geared toward different age groups, which is a huge difference right off the bat. I do feel like there are more privacy options with Facebook, but I might be wrong. MySpace seems more like the Wild West of social networking, while Facebook seems a little more self contained. Again, these could be uninformed, incorrect opinions, given my lack of familiarity with MS.

But I have to ask - how can you form any sort of educated opinion on either site, given that you've admitted that you've looked at MySpace just once and never looked at Facebook? Is this just another "technology sucks, back in my day..." rants?

But I have to ask - how can you form any sort of educated opinion on either site, given that you've admitted that you've looked at MySpace just once and never looked at Facebook? Is this just another "technology sucks, back in my day..." rants?

No.

I'm capable of both inductive and deductive reasoning.

I'm not a physician, yet if I get a nasty gash, I know what to do, for example. I need not experience one beforehand to take appropriate action.

I draw on experience through life - we all do. I look back on things in my life. Had I knowledge gained through the years, there are countless things I would have acted about in different fashion in youth.

Does one know more at age 20, than at age 16? At age 25 than at 20? Of course. 40 more that 30. 50 more than 40, and so on.

Certainly one does.

Edited by stuckincincy

No.

I'm not a physician, yet if I get a nasty gash, I know what to do, for example. I need not experience one beforehand to take appropriate action.

I draw on experience through life - we all do. I look back on things in my life. Had I knowledge gained through the years, there are countless things I would have acted about in different fashion in youth.

Does one know more at age 20, than at age 16? At age 20 than at 25? Of course. 40 more that 30. 50 more than 40, and so on.

Certainly one does.

I remember my first nasty gash.... :thumbsup::thumbdown::D

You are right, you do learn from experience!!

No.

Does one know more at age 20, than at age 16? At age 20 than at 25? Of course. 40 more that 30. 50 more than 40, and so on.

Certainly one does.

No? Because you're older that means you can draw conclusions about both sites and social networking in general based on one visit to MySpace and none to Facebook? Wow, you're good.

No? Because you're older that means you can draw conclusions about both sites and social networking in general based on one visit to MySpace and none to Facebook? Wow, you're good.

You are not getting it, my friend.

In time, you will - and I hope at not big cost, because I consider you a decent fellow. We need not fight.

Edited by stuckincincy

After the initial bout of catching up with people from the hometown slowed down, yeah, the updates and Food Fights and quiz invites and such did get a little tiresome. But once I decided to treat them the same way I do here -- just scrolling by the ones I don't care about -- it's no big deal.

I mostly use it for the message/chat features, and it's a great networking tool. When Scott Pitoniak was unceremoniously dumped by the D&C last December, I figured I was SOL as far as contacting him because I'd always used his work e-mail address, which was nuked the same day. But when I signed up for FB a couple of weeks after that, it took less than 48 hours to reconnect with him. And Tim and I haggled out the details of that pinned thread on the main Wall in a FB chat -- quicker than e-mail, and I didn't need to interrupt him with a phone call.

So ... yeah, I think I'll keep it.

In times past, wasn't what is today's networking called cronyism?

:thumbsup:

My brand-new Facebook page.

And by the way, what is Twitter? And why is it tweeting, as opposed to twitting?

My wife talked me into joining FB several months ago. It has been fun to track people down that I have fallen out of touch with. I agree with Hops that all the virtual drinks, snowball fights etc are a nuisance. Generally I like it though.

You are not getting it, my friend.

In time, you will - and I hope at not big cost, because I consider you a decent fellow. We need not fight.

No, I get it fine. I'm not a HS kid, and I went into the whole FB thing with caution and skepticism. Am I taking a chance that my info might be breached, stolen, whatever? Sure. But that's a risk that is being taken in ever area of life in 2009 - no matter how hard you try to safeguard your info, someone can always get it somewhere else (unless you go the Unabomber route and drop off the grid completely).

I just find your opinion that both FB and MySpace are essentially one and the same, despite not having spent a decent amount of time on either, to be an uninformed opinion and more of a gut feeling. Maybe you're right, but what I'm saying is that I've weighed the pros and cons and tried to enjoy the network responsibly and tried to be as careful as possible.

I don't consider this fighting. Just a friendly disagreement. :nana:

Facebook has gotten all corporate now. The original facebook, actually called "thefacebook" was its best. It was only a college social networking site. And you could only get a facebook if your college was added to their system. At that point, there were no high schoolers or baby boomers.

And now Zuckerberg is trying to go after Twitter when instead facebook should focus on enhancing itself.

progress sucks :nana:

Facebook has gotten all corporate now. The original facebook, actually called "thefacebook" was its best. It was only a college social networking site. And you could only get a facebook if your college was added to their system. At that point, there were no high schoolers or baby boomers.

And now Zuckerberg is trying to go after Twitter when instead facebook should focus on enhancing itself.

I just got on about a month ago, and apparently the whole world knows me.

on a serious note, I saw people that I knew that I hadn't even thought about in over a decade. It was pretty cool to see what some of these people now looked like.

Apparently, people gain weight as they get older.

weird