Pettigrew visits Bills

Magox

PETTIGREW VISITS BILLS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 23, 2009, 2:56 p.m.

Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew recently visited the Buffalo Bills, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

The three tight ends returning on the Bills’ roster combined for just 25 receptions last season.

A league source told us that Pettigrew also visited the Detroit Lions last week.

Per a source, Caplan reports that teams aren’t concerned about Pettigrew’s slow 40-yard dash time of 4.87 seconds at the NFL scouting combine because the tight end plays faster in actual games.

Among the other teams that may be interested in Pettigrew: the Miami Dolphins, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons and the Arizona Cardinals.

I like Pettigrew a lot. I've made my case for him a few times. If Brown or Raji aren't available when it is our turn to draft, I think it would be awfully tough to pass up on him. In my view, he is the most NFL ready player in the draft, ready to make an immediate impact.

I think the Bills need a TE definitely. However, I don't see the Bills drafting Pettigrew in round 1.

The Bills need to use the top pick on a lineman. The OL needs help and so does the DE position.

My priorities would be:

1. DE

2. OG/OT/C

3. TE

4. OLB

Build from the foundation first- the lines.

The 40 time is irrelevant for TEs. Very few TEs ever run a route that takes them 40 yards. Apparently this guy is a sick blocker, has good hands, and can get off jams. That's what you want from your TE, especially if you have good WRs. And now that Buffalo has 2 good WRs, Pettigrew could be a good pick.

Of course, the Bills have so many needs besides TE, I could see them going defense in the first two rounds and not drafting a TE until the 3rd or 4th.

PETTIGREW VISITS BILLS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 23, 2009, 2:56 p.m.

Oklahoma State tight end Brandon Pettigrew recently visited the Buffalo Bills, according to Adam Caplan of Scout.com.

The three tight ends returning on the Bills’ roster combined for just 25 receptions last season.

A league source told us that Pettigrew also visited the Detroit Lions last week.

Per a source, Caplan reports that teams aren’t concerned about Pettigrew’s slow 40-yard dash time of 4.87 seconds at the NFL scouting combine because the tight end plays faster in actual games.

Among the other teams that may be interested in Pettigrew: the Miami Dolphins, Green Bay Packers, Atlanta Falcons and the Arizona Cardinals.

I like Pettigrew a lot. I've made my case for him a few times. If Brown or Raji aren't available when it is our turn to draft, I think it would be awfully tough to pass up on him. In my view, he is the most NFL ready player in the draft, ready to make an immediate impact.

I would love to see us get Pettigrew - but only if we trade down, in front of Philly, to get him. I doubt that's going to happen sitting at 11 though...

Still, imagine having Lee, TO, Reed *and* Pettigrew out running routes with Marshawn coming out of the backfield? Scary Even if the O Line SUCKS (which I don't think they will), Trent can make a decision fast enough to hit one of those targets! Throw Hardy, Johnson and Roscoe in the mix and you've got a pretty sick WR core.

Why do you think the Bills would have to give a third? There have been trades this offseason which seem to show he would not be valued at that. Denver has already made it known they want to trade him because he doesn't fit into their new system. He is a good pass catching TE but has a history of being injured a lot. Personally id go for a fith. Maybe a fourth. But would not use a pick for trade or draft in the first 3 rounds for a TE. Not this year.

The 40 time is irrelevant for TEs. Very few TEs ever run a route that takes them 40 yards. Apparently this guy is a sick blocker, has good hands, and can get off jams. That's what you want from your TE, especially if you have good WRs. And now that Buffalo has 2 good WRs, Pettigrew could be a good pick.

Of course, the Bills have so many needs besides TE, I could see them going defense in the first two rounds and not drafting a TE until the 3rd or 4th.

They should look at the 40time, provided a 240lb LBer is hanging off them.

10, 20 yard are betting indicators. TE, need to be able to get off the line and seperate, get into a block and adjust to a block quickly. If they go 40 yards there off the field for the next few series sucking wind...

I hope that we brought him in as a smoke screen to fool other teams and the pundits into thinking for sure we have a TE need when actually we are clearing the roster in anticipation of going with 3 WRs as our base offense.

Right now we have zero (none, nada, blanco) TEs who are a proven NFL receiving threat. Fine has potential to receive well and maybe in a couple of years could be a real threat but for now we have nada. Even if we waste a 1st round choice reaching for Pettigrew or another rookie TE, odds are that this rookie is a season and more likely two or more from eventually becoming the TE we would want him to be.

Even if we draft a TE number 1 and depend upon that player in our O (who most likely will not be ready to be depended upon, we would also need to spend cap money on an FA or bank on this rookie not only playing like a vet in his first year, but he better not pull a Fine and get hurt or we will be up a paddle much of the season/

I hope we do not go TE.

Good luck with that happening.

They'll take the "best player available," likely a CB or safety. Maybe a WR.

This opinion is based on what?

The Bills almost exclusively draft for need:

In 2008, Buffalo's biggest needs were CB, WR, and TE; they drafted a CB in rounds 1 and 4, a WR in round 2, and a TE in round 4.

In 2007, Buffalo's biggest needs were RB and LB; they drafted a RB in round 1 and a LB in round 2.

In 2006, Buffalo's biggest needs were DT and SS; they drafted a SS in round 1 and traded back into round 1 to get a DT.

They will not "take the best player available, likely a CB or safety". In fact, there's absolutely nothing to support that statement at all. They'll take their favorite player at their biggest need position, just like they've done in the first few rounds of the past 3 drafts.

In 2008, Buffalo's biggest needs were CB, WR, and TE; they drafted a CB in rounds 1 and 4, a WR in round 2, and a TE in round 4.

In 2007, Buffalo's biggest needs were RB and LB; they drafted a RB in round 1 and a LB in round 2.

In 2006, Buffalo's biggest needs were DT and SS; they drafted a SS in round 1 and traded back into round 1 to get a DT.

They will not "take the best player available, likely a CB or safety". In fact, there's absolutely nothing to support that statement at all. They'll take their favorite player at their biggest need position, just like they've done in the first few rounds of the past 3 drafts.

I agree with you for the most part. IMO, the Bills take the BPA out of 4 or 5 need positions. Last year was a perfect example. CB was not the biggest need the Bills had, in fact it was probably a couple positions down the list. Leodis was the best player available at 11 and they pulled the trigger. It's not a matter of exclusively drafting for need as much as it is a combination of BPA and need. Almost all teams draft this way.

Great Post, with evidence, bandit.

If that's true, the best we can do is the trade in my sig.

The mere fact that he visited the Bills means they have a solid interest in him, it is a big need position for Buffalo.

I really like the guy from what I'm reading about him, Mike Mayock stated he is old school and very similar to Jason whitten.

Height: 6-6 | Weight: 263 | Position:TE | College: Oklahoma State

Regarded by many as the most complete tight end in the 2009 NFL Draft, Pettigrew has not only proven to be a clutch short-area receiver, but an outstanding blocker. A physical open-field runner, he has gained more than 40 percent of his yardage after the catch. He has also shown his pedigree as a pass catcher, becoming the first tight end in school history to amass more than 100 receptions (112) in a career.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/517620