I really think that DT Shaun Rogers could be had in a trade.

I'd take Rogers in a heartbeat, even with that strange attitude...but, i think Kelly has already explained why it isn't likely to be an option, for the Bills.

Yeah. Here's where Jauron's nice guy profile might come into play. Jauron just might be the guy who can handle all these malcontent stars.

IIRC, Rogers loved Jauron when they were both in Detroit.

It seems that the Parcells/Belechik lineage has a need to piss off the star players on whatever team they come to. Parcells dogged Phil Simms when he took over the Giants (a theme he continued everywhere he went, Jason Taylor the most recent), Belechik couldn't wait to cut bait with local legend Bernie Kosar when he came to Cleveland, Romeo jerked his QB's around in Cleveland, McDaniel caused friction with Cutler, and now Mangini is fugging with the Browns newest, high profile/pay free agent in Rogers. I hate to say it, but it is sort of seems to be a right of passage for the Parcells/Belechik protegees.

I heard Tony Dungy on the radio the other day, and they asked him how he felt about the Cutler thing in Denver. Dungy didn't really want to answer the question, but, in an odd sort of way, said, essentially, for him, having a good relationship with the star players on his teams was essential to his success. Dungy was sort of implying that McDaniel was flexing his coaching muscle in the wrong way, by alienatiing his best player. Mangini did the same thing in New York, and most of his players hated him... call it kissing ass, or whatever it is, but a coach doesn't have to be an !@#$ to win in the NFL. All of the guys in that Parcells/Belechik tree seem to get a certain amount of glee out flexing their power over their players. I realize it can be useful, and is necessary at times, but Mangini, and McDaniel, in particular, are messing with guys they haven't even coached yet.

Rogers' questionable attitutde and work ethic are off-putting. And so is his contract.

The guy has enormous talent (not to mention he is enormous), but he only plays when he wants to (which is rarely) and he has weight control issues.

I say pass on Rogers but draft Raji if he's there.

Rogers' questionable attitutde and work ethic are off-putting. And so is his contract.

The guy has enormous talent (not to mention he is enormous), but he only plays when he wants to (which is rarely) and he has weight control issues.

I say pass on Rogers but draft Raji if he's there.

At some point we have to start "Winning Now"....You cannot keep rebuilding. If Rogers can be had for the right price and if Jauron who has had a past working relationship with him can entice this player to play along Stroud, our D could be dominant and actually let Schoebel and Kelsay make plays on the edge.

It seems that the Parcells/Belechik lineage has a need to piss off the star players on whatever team they come to. Parcells dogged Phil Simms when he took over the Giants (a theme he continued everywhere he went, Jason Taylor the most recent), Belechik couldn't wait to cut bait with local legend Bernie Kosar when he came to Cleveland, Romeo jerked his QB's around in Cleveland, McDaniel caused friction with Cutler, and now Mangini is fugging with the Browns newest, high profile/pay free agent in Rogers. I hate to say it, but it is sort of seems to be a right of passage for the Parcells/Belechik protegees.

I heard Tony Dungy on the radio the other day, and they asked him how he felt about the Cutler thing in Denver. Dungy didn't really want to answer the question, but, in an odd sort of way, said, essentially, for him, having a good relationship with the star players on his teams was essential to his success. Dungy was sort of implying that McDaniel was flexing his coaching muscle in the wrong way, by alienatiing his best player. Mangini did the same thing in New York, and most of his players hated him... call it kissing ass, or whatever it is, but a coach doesn't have to be an !@#$ to win in the NFL. All of the guys in that Parcells/Belechik tree seem to get a certain amount of glee out flexing their power over their players. I realize it can be useful, and is necessary at times, but Mangini, and McDaniel, in particular, are messing with guys they haven't even coached yet.

You're forgetting a certain Mr. Drew Bledsoe here.

The bottom-line is that having Shaun Rogers lined up next to Marcus Stroud would instantly give us a top-10 (maybe better) defense. It would make Poz look a whole lot better, it would make our DBs look a whole lot better, and it would make Jauron look a whole lot better. The same reason was applied when the team decided to get TO.

Tony Dungy won 1 super bowl with one of the best QBs in history or than that he did not do anything. Remember TB team players not Prima Donna players win championships. Too many teams bow down to their stars and lose the team concept. How many championships did Dallas. Washington and San Diego win. Kosar was toast when BB arrived but no one wanted to believe him. Coaches that preach team play over stars are competitive year in and year out. They may not win each year but they are in it to the end.

I've wondered why we don't go after him, too. He would bring a stronger combo to the middle than Pat and Sam, I believe. Plus a healthy Schoebel, and a drafted end....theres the makings for a good line - and, there's another lineman out there that could fortify us in a great way, too. And - I say use him as both tackle and end, depending on situation - Ekuban guy from Denver! That sounds solid to me... reminiscent of the Giants line in the super bowl...

That's a very interesting point.

There are two schools of though that I see in being a successful coach. There is the player's coach, then there is the dictator style regime.

Both styles has had success. So I do agree that you don't have to be a dictator to be successful, but if you come from that lineage, then that is the style you know. Not to say that you can't be flexible, but it is a family tree that has had much success. It's just that some coaches get their message across and identify the team's character much better than others, and that is in my view what separates the good ones' from the others.

That's a very interesting point.

There are two schools of though that I see in being a successful coach. There is the player's coach, then there is the dictator style regime.

Both styles has had success. So I do agree that you don't have to be a dictator to be successful, but if you come from that lineage, then that is the style you know. Not to say that you can't be flexible, but it is a family tree that has had much success. It's just that some coaches get their message across and identify the team's character much better than others, and that is in my view what separates the good ones' from the others.

A "dictator" style of coaching hasn't really been very successful in the NFL, for quite some time. (I guess you could argue about what constitutes a "dictator".) The closest to that, these days, might be Tom Coughlin...the OLD Tom Coughlin, that was fired from J-Ville, and very nearly fired from the Giants.

Coughlin only really succeeded, after he changed his dictatorial ways. I still wouldn't classify him as a "players' coach", mostly because I don't really know WTF that means.