Here's what I wrote the hack writer

There are so many cheapshots being taken and it's all the same old tired crap that gets trotted out year after year by sportswriters (who are usually not the brightest bulbs in the newsroom anyway). Just let it go and forget about it. I'd say wait until the season starts and if we kick ass with T.O. then throw it in their faces.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Hooterville was from "Petticoat Junction", and according to IMBD, it is from that show:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056780/

It might have been a spin-off of "Green Acres", though, so maybe we're both right. Remember the opening to "Petticoat Junction"? That was when the daughters were bathing in the water tower, and they hung their clothes over the side. Pretty risque stuff for a 60's TV show.

Both Green Acres and Petticoat Junction took place in Hooterville.

I can promise you that's not it.

Oh really...what do you think is the REAL reason. I rarely purchase a newspaper for the reason that I cited and know many people that have cancelled their subscriptions as well because of sloppy and liberally biased reporters and editors. Less circulation = less advertising $$$ = less revenues = newspaper company out of business.

Oh really...what do you think is the REAL reason. I rarely purchase a newspaper for the reason that I cited and know many people that have cancelled their subscriptions as well because of sloppy and liberally biased reporters and editors. Less circulation = less advertising $$$ = less revenues = newspaper company out of business.

the real reason? The devise you are sitting behind right now and the possibilities that it opens up to you.

The article is fine. She's a pretty darn good writer and she's not afraid to speak her mind.

Agreed. I thought it was pretty funny, and the angle on how Buffalo should deal with TO was a nice balance to the "why is TO going to backwater Buffalo" crap that's been written lately.

the real reason? The devise you are sitting behind right now and the possibilities that it opens up to you.

Bingo. Declining circulation is a problem ... but because most people under 30 now get their news from a Web site, not a newsprint-and-ink edition. If it's all about "Librul Media" getting their comeuppance, I'd like someone to explain why a friend's newspaper, the right-of-center New York Sun, shut down its press for the final time last September.

You originally cited lazy journalism. I'm just saying lazy journalism isn't the basis for declining newspaper revenues, that's all. Read the above retorts if you want more reasoning. I work for a newspaper, so I don't feel like giving the "state of the industry" speech for the 100th time.

I used to work in Providence, and despite the real estate development it's still a sh-- hole. Most corrupt city government in the northeast.

Sometimes corruption works. Pete's right....Providence has come a long way since the '80s when I was up there.

I've lived in Rhode Island for seven years. I love Buffalo, my entire family is still there.

Donaldson is a complete douche bag, he even gets Pats* info completely wrong. Pats* fans are the biggest bandwagoners there are in the history of sports. I love reminding most of the "I've always been a Pats* fan" idiots that they were almost the Hartford Patriots due to lack of fan support only 10 years ago.

Providence, on the other hand, is a great little city. There are a lot of similarities between Buffalo and Rhode Island. Corruption, high taxes, union domination of government, high unemployment, bluest state in the nation are some of the negatives the state shares with Buffalo.

Good people and a blue collar mentality are some of the positives.

Rhode Island can't come close to the people of Buffalo in terms of a collective sense of us-against-the world (that I still share)

Western NY doesn't come close to the beauty of Rhode Island though, not even close.

Those bashing Providence are really just as uninformed and pathetic as Donaldson is. Hate the writer, he deserves it, not the city. It's sad, I'm usually defending Buffalo from the uninformed New England idiots.

RTB

Those bashing Providence are really just as uninformed and pathetic as Donaldson is. Hate the writer, he deserves it, not the city. It's sad, I'm usually defending Buffalo from the uninformed New England idiots.

RTB

Agree to disagree. I worked there for several years (up until about 2 years ago), and it's a craphole.

If this shill responds to any of your emails please make sure to post them here. I doubt he has the balls to respond though.

Here's his reply:

Quote 1: What I wrote was "the likes of Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman," meaning the type of QBs the BIlls have had lately, as compared to "the likes of" Jim Kelly. Admittedly, I should have made the analogy clearer.

Quote 2: I've known Jerry for years. He "loves" the acquisition of T.O. because, for the first time in some years, there's finally going to be something exciting to write about the Bills.

Jim D.

Green Acres took place mid-way between Hooterville and Pixley.

Nuh-Uh it was Hooterville too! :(

Plot summary for

"Green Acres" (1965)

Manhattan lawyer Douglas drags his protesting socialite wife and her finery to the rural backwash of a rundown farm outside Hooterville. They attempt to get the farm fixed up. Farmer Fred Ziffel's pig Arnold watches TV and is in many ways smarter than the Hootervillians. Written by Ed Stephan {stephan@cc.wwu.edu}

Oliver Wendell Douglas, a Manhattan attorney who has long desired to become a farmer, buys a rundown farm sight unseen from con man Eustice Haney. Upon his return to New York he packs up his things and drags his socialite Hungarian wife Lisa to Hooterville. There, along with his hired hand Eb he tries to build the farm into a useful venture. In the meantime, Lisa becomes acclamated to her surroundings and attempts to bring some form of civility to the backwoods neighbors and even strikes up a friendship with Arnold, the pet pig of Fred Ziffel, who treats Arnold like a son. Written by Brian Washington {Sargebri@earthlink.net}

In what boils down to The Beverly Hillbillies in reverse, Oliver Douglas dreams of a life of fresh air, sunshine and chores down on the farm. His wife Lisa however doesn't want it because she is too comfortable in glow of Manhatten. Ironically, when they get to the country it's Lisa who has a better time adapting to the craziness of the locals. Written by Jerry Roberts

Where is Pixley in that description? Huh-huh-huh! It isn't!! :thumbsup::P:P

Here's his reply:

Quote 1: What I wrote was "the likes of Trent Edwards and J.P. Losman," meaning the type of QBs the BIlls have had lately, as compared to "the likes of" Jim Kelly. Admittedly, I should have made the analogy clearer.

Quote 2: I've known Jerry for years. He "loves" the acquisition of T.O. because, for the first time in some years, there's finally going to be something exciting to write about the Bills.

Jim D.

Link

Nuh-Uh it was Hooterville too! :(

Plot summary for

"Green Acres" (1965)

Manhattan lawyer Douglas drags his protesting socialite wife and her finery to the rural backwash of a rundown farm outside Hooterville.

:thumbsup:

The show repeatedly mentions the Shady Rest Hotel as being 25 miles (40 km) from Pixley and 25 miles (40 km) from Hooterville, dead in the center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petticoat_Junction

Petticoat Junction centered around Kate Bradley, who ran the Shady Rest Hotel, located directly between the farming valley of Hooterville and its only slightly more "evolved" neighbor of Pixley[/quote].

http://www.tv.com/petticoat-junction/show/142/summary.html

You forget, I'm old enough to have actually watched the show, in its original airings.

EDIT: I see the issue was my mistake. I meant to type Petticoat Junction was midway between Hooterville and Pixley. So, my bad.

And, to your question. Pixley was the "big city"...in that part of the country, anyway.

I've lived in Rhode Island for seven years. I love Buffalo, my entire family is still there.

Donaldson is a complete douche bag, he even gets Pats* info completely wrong. Pats* fans are the biggest bandwagoners there are in the history of sports. I love reminding most of the "I've always been a Pats* fan" idiots that they were almost the Hartford Patriots due to lack of fan support only 10 years ago.

Providence, on the other hand, is a great little city. There are a lot of similarities between Buffalo and Rhode Island. Corruption, high taxes, union domination of government, high unemployment, bluest state in the nation are some of the negatives the state shares with Buffalo.

Good people and a blue collar mentality are some of the positives.

Rhode Island can't come close to the people of Buffalo in terms of a collective sense of us-against-the world (that I still share)

Western NY doesn't come close to the beauty of Rhode Island though, not even close.

RTB

If you're speaking of the natural landscape, that is a HIGHLY debatable statement. Niagara Falls, Grand Island, Great Lakes coastlines, Southern Tier mountains, Finger Lakes, Genesee Valley, Letchworth State Park? Rhode Island is nice too, of course. I've been to Providence and Narragansett Bay before.

Here's his reply:

Jim D.

Cool, Harv. He actually replied.