Well fellas - laid off - AGAIN

I'm not sure if you all remember my post from Monday November 3rd, but I was laid off from a company that I had worked at for 8 years. Shortly thereafter (luckily) I received a job offer to be an accounting/finance recruiter. I had some reservations, but I took the job. I felt like it would give me some sales experience plus it would keep my finger on the pulse of the Richmond job market.

Well, it has pretty much flat-lined since I've been working there. I was laid off today. I was the only one on my team to close a job order in the time I was there. My boss and another guy get to keep their jobs. I'm not saying that I'm any more deserving than those 2, but I felt it could have been anyone. At any rate, I've had a sense for some time and have been networking quite a bit. As before, I'm going to have a positive attitude, not feel sorry for myself and call/e-mail just about everyone I know.

Not looking for a shoulder to cry on, but sometimes it just feels better to let all of your thoughts go. Take care and send some good karma my way.

I'm not sure if you all remember my post from Monday November 3rd, but I was laid off from a company that I had worked at for 8 years. Shortly thereafter (luckily) I received a job offer to be an accounting/finance recruiter. I had some reservations, but I took the job. I felt like it would give me some sales experience plus it would keep my finger on the pulse of the Richmond job market.

Well, it has pretty much flat-lined since I've been working there. I was laid off today. I was the only one on my team to close a job order in the time I was there. My boss and another guy get to keep their jobs. I'm not saying that I'm any more deserving than those 2, but I felt it could have been anyone. At any rate, I've had a sense for some time and have been networking quite a bit. As before, I'm going to have a positive attitude, not feel sorry for myself and call/e-mail just about everyone I know.

Not looking for a shoulder to cry on, but sometimes it just feels better to let all of your thoughts go. Take care and send some good karma my way.

Good luck and good hunting! Your positive mental attitude is so important and remember we are all pulling for you!

Good luck to you man! I too, work in Richmond, and I can tell you if I did lose my job, I would have to move away...

I was down there a couple years ago...seems like a nice town.

Sorry to hear about it R-Bills. Ugly time to be out of work. I'm in finance too so PM me your resume and I'll keep an ear open.

I hear ya bro'. I'm right down the road from you and am in the same situation. I got laid off 2 days before Christmas and have been scraping by ever since. Atleast I've had more time to spend with my wife and 2 young boys(3 and 17 months). I could've had a couple of jobs, but they were not paying enough money. Times are tough right now. Most places are saying it will be the last quarter of the year before any hiring starts taking place. Oh well. I got like 17 weeks of unemployment left (then a possible extension) and whatever happens is in God's hands. Hope the best for you.

I hear ya bro'. I'm right down the road from you and am in the same situation. I got laid off 2 days before Christmas and have been scraping by ever since. Atleast I've had more time to spend with my wife and 2 young boys(3 and 17 months). I could've had a couple of jobs, but they were not paying enough money. Times are tough right now. Most places are saying it will be the last quarter of the year before any hiring starts taking place. Oh well. I got like 17 weeks of unemployment left (then a possible extension) and whatever happens is in God's hands. Hope the best for you.

Were the jobs paying more than the unemployment benifits?

there is more to it than that...while the max unemployment benny in va is 378, pre tax, if he, or i, were to take a job for lets say 400/week, it would more than likely require us to pay child care expenses...all of a sudden the opportunity cost of taking a job that pays slightly more than unemployment is upside down and definitely not worth it...

there is more to it than that...while the max unemployment benny in va is 378, pre tax, if he, or i, were to take a job for lets say 400/week, it would more than likely require us to pay child care expenses...all of a sudden the opportunity cost of taking a job that pays slightly more than unemployment is upside down and definitely not worth it...

I understand that.....and there's more to it than that also. Health insurance for one. Then those jobs might not be there when his benifits run out also. Then what do you have. The best time to get a job is when you have one.

They were talking about me taking a pay cut in the range of $3-$5 per hour and driving another 40 miles total per day to and fro. That's $120-$200 less a week off top plus more miles on the vehicle and more gas in the tank. Add in the cost of insurance and I would be bringing home less for sure.

You also are exactly right. You have to consider all of these things. Our children now qualify for Medicaid since I only get unemployment. If any of you have children you know how important it is to have insurance on them. They can't just get the remedy for their illnesses at the local Wal*Mart, they actually have to go see a Pediatrician and get things prescribed. It's not too easy to go and find a job making $40,000-$45,000 off the street these days.

Good luck man, and 'welcome' to the club...richmond's shine is very quickly losing its luster, never thought i would see it happen here...

I feel for you Pooj. I hope all the Buffalo transplants here will find work soon. But, I live here, and love it. Richmond is booming where I live, and I still think we are wayyyyyyyyy better off than most of the nation. They are building about 10 new upscale restaurants, that stupid upscale Wal-Mart (yeah, 2 fuggin miles from the other one.....and what exactly is an upscale Wal-Mart?), and about 20 shops right across the road from me.

I still love it here, other than the fact that we don't have pro sports. Richmond, IMO, is the best spot to land in VA. It's not in northern VA (thank god), but has the ameneties of a big city (Short Pump and Western Chesterfield). Oh, the ocean and mountains are close by too.

:(

I'll say a prayer for all the Richmonders who need work......I wish you all the best!

All - thanks for the well-wishes. It has been an interesting couple of days. I had a face-to-face interview, a phone screen and got a call from a recruiter that said one of their clients wants to meet with me on Wednesday. Yesterday I applied for a job and after-the-fact realized that a friend of friend is a decision maker. Things are happening fast. I'm happy but worried I will make a hasty decision.

I met with a guy today - he is an owner of a business and he really wants me to work for him. Absolutely no investment. I would take on the work that he has already built - a solid 30 hours per week then spend the rest of my time marketing his business. We talked contract, etc. He really wants it to work. I love the business model, flexibiity, etc - its just that the money would be tight. I'm conflicted because I'm sick of corporate america, but the small business thing scares me. He told me to think about it through the weekend and get up with him on Monday.

It's going to be a pensive few days!!!